Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Which wasn't those in deprivation who are the most affected by alcohol-related illness.

The point you keep missing.

The point you miss is that the aim is to reduce consumption - achieved.  The other aim is to dissuade youth from becoming alcoholic dependent - we won't know for years. What we do know is that allowing the likes of Frosty Jacks to be £1.50 for 2 litres is obviously not going to fucking help.

Cretin can't argue his case.
Repeating the same statistic isn't an argument you moron.

You quoted the same figure from a few posts back as if it was new evidence.

The sales of alcohol in areas of deprivation - those areas that have the highest rates of alcohol-related illness - has not dropped.

You just keep skirting round that fact.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Repeating the same statistic isn't an argument you moron.

Repeating the same statistic that supports my argument isn't an argument? I beg to differ.

8 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The sales of alcohol in areas of deprivation - those areas that have the highest rates of alcohol-related illness - has not dropped.

Once again, the actual aim of MUP was to reduce overall consumption, which was achieved.

12 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

You just keep skirting round that fact.

I just keep addressing it, if anyone's skirting it, it's you.

I just keep addressing it, if anyone's skirting it, it's you.
From the Scottish Government's own website:

"Minimum unit pricing

We implemented a minimum price of 50 pence per unit of alcohol on 1 May 2018. This will save lives, reduce hospital admissions and, ultimately, have positive impacts across the whole health system in Scotland and for wider society."

If you don't reduce consumption within the group that has the most alcohol-related illness then you certainly won't achieve that aim.

Even looking at an overall drop across the country is misleading - sales in England (which doesn’t have MUP) and the UK in general have been dropping since 2005. There's more complex reasons for the drop in alcohol sales - changing drinking habits, the growth of homebrewing (up 500% during lockdown) and the ongoing trend of consumers switching from spirits to drinks with lower alcohol content.

I also think it's incredibly naive to take just over 2 and a bit years of figures and state it as "a lasting impact" - that's not a trend - that's a snapshot.

And you also have to remember that the price per unit of a majority of alcohol sold in Scotland was unaffected by MUP - the drinks most affected were the lower end strong ciders not the beers and spirits. If you are going down the MUP route then you need a higher MUP to increase the price of those products and reduce consumption. I'm just not convinced that it is the best tool to deal with our more hardened drinkers.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

From the Scottish Government's own website:

"Minimum unit pricing

We implemented a minimum price of 50 pence per unit of alcohol on 1 May 2018. This will save lives, reduce hospital admissions and, ultimately, have positive impacts across the whole health system in Scotland and for wider society."

Achieved.

So it's not targeted at low-income households after all? Good to nail that lie.

To be strictly accurate that only covered the high purchasing, low income households

Presumably that still leaves, the middle purchasing, low income households. Who are now less likely to become high purchasing households.

Whether this represented a qualified success or qualified failure seems to be very much in the political agenda of the beholder

Set at such a low level the scope for major positive or negative outcomes was always limited

We’re now at a point where we’ll need a raise in MUP just to account for inflation so doing nothing would effectively be a reversal

I reckon we should raise it ahead of inflation to see what happens

I'm not a fan of the SNP, but they did the right thing with this IMO.

At the time, it sounded like they did their homework and were quoting statistics of how it works elsewhere.

Drink is a scourge in Scotland.  Rather than see this as penalising the poor.. I'd be more inclined to question why a substance that has such a huge involvement in many of our society's ills is so cheap in the first place.