Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

One full weekend in, and I see a few things happening. Firstly, a lot of beers and ciders and the like are at the floor 50p per unit price. There's no difference between buying a high quality beer and gutrot, as they are the same price (for now). I had the rather enjoyable feeling of a Saturday night on the Bishop's Finger (fnarr fnarr) as it cost the same as just about everything else - £1.30 a bottle. The same price as Aldi's own make beer. Hobgoblin was £1.25 a bottle - again, the same as just about everything else.

This cannot last. I give it a month and we'll see the margin come back in, separating the quality from the guff.

One full weekend in, and I see a few things happening. Firstly, a lot of beers and ciders and the like are at the floor 50p per unit price. There's no difference between buying a high quality beer and gutrot, as they are the same price (for now). I had the rather enjoyable feeling of a Saturday night on the Bishop's Finger (fnarr fnarr) as it cost the same as just about everything else - £1.30 a bottle. The same price as Aldi's own make beer. Hobgoblin was £1.25 a bottle - again, the same as just about everything else.
This cannot last. I give it a month and we'll see the margin come back in, separating the quality from the guff.

Agreed. Worth stocking up on the decent beers now before they put the price up.

On 02/05/2018 at 08:15, welshbairn said:

In Tesco all the standard blended whiskies including the own brand were exactly £20 a litre, 50p per unit. The Coop stopped doing their own brand bottles and litres a month or so ago but have brought in a new 50cl version. I could see the other supermarkets doing likewise or bringing their own brands down to 35% to keep the price differential. Personally I don't notice any difference in quality between the own brands and the likes of Bells or Grouse. I wouldn't call Smirnoff a premium brand either.

You can't call it whisky below 40% so they're already selling it at the bare minimum abv. 

The brand stuff that sits about £22-30 will probably go up a few quid to keep a price gap to the paint stripper.

The SNP are big government.

They want involvement in pretty much every aspect of your life. Food consumption, alcohol consumption, labelling of products, raising your tax payments to higher than the rest of your British colleagues... etc etc. They are the nanny state

If this is what you want, keep them in power. If not, you know the alternates.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

If not, you know the alternates.

I'm not really sure that I do.

Would you be so kind to set out the "alternates" and why they would be advantageous to us?

Keep in mind, i remember Forsyth, Stewart, Fairburn and tRuth's mate Donald Cameron of Lochiel.

28 minutes ago, strichener said:

I am not even sure the SNP deny this.

So, are you happy to confirm that every taxpayer in Scotland on above-average earnings is paying more in overall taxation (including council tax etc.) than his English, Welsh or Northern Irish equivalent?

If not, why not? 

10 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, are you happy to confirm that every taxpayer in Scotland on above-average earnings is paying more in overall taxation (including council tax etc.) than his English, Welsh or Northern Irish equivalent?

If not, why not? 

Of course I wouldn't state every single taxpayer on above-average earnings is paying more. 

As you are clearly taking in every tax this would be impossible as personal consumption would have to be taken into account along with the house that each above-average earning person pays council tax for, how efficient their car is and how much they use it, who often the travel by air, how often they move house etc. etc..  There is also the consideration of what services are covered by your council tax and these vary from council to council but are manifestly different between Scotland and England (excl. London) where the fire services and police services are part-funded through local taxation rather than centrally as is the case in Scotland.

However, I am willing to be shown as incorrect that when you take all tax into account that those on above-average earnings are, on average, paying more than other areas of the UK.  The simple facts are that council tax is higher in Scotland when looking at the tax levied on a property value basis, income tax is higher, LBTT is higher that SDLT, Scotland has paid higher than average Alcohol, VAT and Tobacco taxes etc. etc.

11 hours ago, Larry Hood said:

Quit

While you think you're ahead

Give me the figures that prove otherwise then.  The SNP government has a difficult task in attempting to increase the tax-take whilst not losing voters.  Their recent financial policies have shown that they are aware that they are more likely to get votes from those that are not in the ABC1 socio-demographic classification.

The SNP are big government.

They want involvement in pretty much every aspect of your life. Food consumption, alcohol consumption, labelling of products, raising your tax payments to higher than the rest of your British colleagues... etc etc. They are the nanny state

If this is what you want, keep them in power. If not, you know the alternates.

Oh no, not the tax lie again ffs

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Of course I wouldn't state every single taxpayer on above-average earnings is paying more. 

As you are clearly taking in every tax this would be impossible as personal consumption would have to be taken into account along with the house that each above-average earning person pays council tax for, how efficient their car is and how much they use it, who often the travel by air, how often they move house etc. etc..  There is also the consideration of what services are covered by your council tax and these vary from council to council but are manifestly different between Scotland and England (excl. London) where the fire services and police services are part-funded through local taxation rather than centrally as is the case in Scotland.

However, I am willing to be shown as incorrect that when you take all tax into account that those on above-average earnings are, on average, paying more than other areas of the UK.  The simple facts are that council tax is higher in Scotland when looking at the tax levied on a property value basis, income tax is higher, LBTT is higher that SDLT, Scotland has paid higher than average Alcohol, VAT and Tobacco taxes etc. etc.

Give me the figures that prove otherwise then.  The SNP government has a difficult task in attempting to increase the tax-take whilst not losing voters.  Their recent financial policies have shown that they are aware that they are more likely to get votes from those that are not in the ABC1 socio-demographic classification.

I don't see any figures in your post champ, yet you ask for figures in reposte.   When all taxes are taken into account people on Scotland are taxed less and get more than anywhere else in the UK.  It's simple fact.

7 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I don't see any figures in your post champ, yet you ask for figures in reposte.   When all taxes are taken into account people on Scotland are taxed less and get more than anywhere else in the UK.  It's simple fact.

Good argument for staying in the Union.

8 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I was asked for reasons, not figures, "Champ".

The bolded bit would be a great slogan for the next SNP campaign.