Minimum Alcohol Pricing

scottsdad

11 minutes ago, FlyerTon said:

Do you think there will be white van booze 'cruises' to Berwick and Carlisle?  It has been reported a whisky shop in Carlisle is stocking up with blended whisky for anticipated Scottish demand.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/30/whisky-shops-england-braced-scottish-booze-cruisers-minimum/

Edinburgh - Berwick - 57 miles

Glasgow  - Carlisle - 95 miles

Have van, will travel....

Looking at the list on BBC for the starting point on the booze then it's fairly similar to what I pay over here. Not the end of the world it has been portrayed as

Looking at the list on BBC for the starting point on the booze then it's fairly similar to what I pay over here. Not the end of the world it has been portrayed as

But it's an SNPbad policy so it really is the end of the world on BBC Goebbels

3 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

Again, I absolutely agree that poverty is the real enemy here and I would expect an independent Scotland to make it an immediate priority to tackle that.

Another pointless argument over several pages about zero then.

Thank God we can finally catch up to the paradise of moderation and temperance that is Ireland.

1 hour ago, Glenconner said:

Maybe a curfew?

And round-the-clock tagging and tracking. You just can't leave personal decisions in the hands of the stupid poor.

#progressiveshangrila

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Depends if they start from Gretna or Thurso.

Live in either place then reevaluation is required.  Bang in the middle is rural Perthshire.    #perthshire 

Was at  both Morrisons and my local mini-market today. Morrisons  are selling Smirnoff vodka for £16 a bottle,  my local shop is £13.13 (50p/unit).

Why the difference? My local shop doesn't have an "own brand" to protect and doesn't need to inflate the price of Smirnoff any further.

Of course this won't be limited to Morrisons but all supermarkets who produce their own brands. If they charged the same for premium brands and their own brands then it would be premium every time.

So, if you want premium brand spirits, shop local and tell the supermarkets to GTF.

Thank God we can finally catch up to the paradise of moderation and temperance that is Ireland.

23% vat is the reason.
Get excited for 25 euro premium brands.

Just means my next visit home the duty free will actually be worth it

Why are so many people bothered by this :lol: I’m at a loss here. People chatting about going to England to get their booze - that’s absolute madness and really embarrassing.

I was just thinking that.

I just popped into the local coop and the prices aren’t any worse than they were the day before.

And I have to laugh that Buckfast is staying the same price considering it’s one of the problem drinks.

I keep seeing "real life" examples of this policy popping up on facebook. "Wee Jimmy just put food back on the shelves in the local shop so he could afford his sherry, is this alcohol tax really helping? Jimmy isn't an alky, just likes a wee drink now and then".

I'd suggest if wee Jimmy is faced with the dilemma of "I can either not starve or have a drink of sherry" and he chooses the sherry then he's got a drink problem.