Stirling Albion v Peterhead/Peterhead v Stirling Albion

Poor first half for us could have gone in more than 1-0 down but at least in the 2nd half we had a go and had at least 3 decent chances but could not put 1 away. 

Still on to Saturday and still in with a chance but we must take any chances that come our way or its good bye to the playoffs this year. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How have Mooner and Caddis played this season?

Moon joined in January and has been really good, just can’t last 90 minutes. Caddis has been very hot and cold, more cold than anything else but he showed last night exactly what kind of player he can be, with his tricks, hard tackling and dangerous through balls. He was excellent and let you wondering where he has been all season.

As has been said already, we were poor in the First Half, just never really got going. We have Cammy Binnie to thank for a few good saves, including pushing a McAllistair shot onto the bar. Peterhead totally bossed it and it was the same story every time, we’d give possession away cheaply, Peterhead would get the balls into McAllistair and McLean, keeping the pressure on us. It was only a matter of time when the goal came.

We looked a different team the 2nd Half, and so did Peterhead. The substitution of McCracken really helped us and along with it, Peterhead’s change in formation. Mason Robertson was outstanding at for them but with us upping the tempo, being slightly better at retaining possession, we were able to turn their Defence and create chances.

Sadly the goal just didn’t come and we never took our chances, but it gives you hope for the 2nd leg. I think a draw would have been a fair result, but it’s not a disaster and we’re still in with a chance.

We need to play like that for 90 minutes though and not get sucked into Peterhead’s tactics of disrupting the game at every opportunity.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Moon joined in January and has been really good, just can’t last 90 minutes. Caddis has been very hot and cold, more cold than anything else but he showed last night exactly what kind of player he can be, with his tricks, hard tackling and dangerous through balls. He was excellent and let you wondering where he has been all season.

As has been said already, we were poor in the First Half, just never really got going. We have Cammy Binnie to thank for a few good saves, including pushing a McAllistair shot onto the bar. Peterhead totally bossed it and it was the same story every time, we’d give possession away cheaply, Peterhead would get the balls into McAllistair and McLean, keeping the pressure on us. It was only a matter of time when the goal came.

We looked a different team the 2nd Half, and so did Peterhead. The substitution of McCracken really helped us and along with it, Peterhead’s change in formation. Mason Robertson was outstanding at for them but with us upping the tempo, being slightly better at retaining possession, we were able to turn their Defence and create chances.

Sadly the goal just didn’t come and we never took our chances, but it gives you hope for the 2nd leg. I think a draw would have been a fair result, but it’s not a disaster and we’re still in with a chance.

We need to play like that for 90 minutes though and not get sucked into Peterhead’s tactics of disrupting the game at every opportunity.

Agree with most of that but that last paragraph is a complete misrepresentation.  It wasn't Peterhead players that were consistently rolling about the ground holding their heads or throwing the ball away at every opportunity.  Even your goalkeeper was wasting time from about 10 minutes into the game. :lol:

I also thought that we had some superb chances in the second half and Smith was causing your defence no end of problems.  Perhaps if he had a little more confidence, he would have taken some of the chances himself rather than always looking to offload the ball.  I hope he starts on Saturday.

Although I always try and have a balanced view, I’m not going to get caught in ‘whataboutary’ as Hugh Keevin’s would put it, and you know what, maybe over the course of the 90 minutes there was a little bit of tit for tat in that sakes, however the most memorable ones for me were when we were chasing the game and Peterhead were doing all the things that most teams do when they are in a winning position.

On Smith, he’s impressed me in the last couple of meetings between the 2 sides. I remember Dunfermline fans having high hopes for him a few years back, no doubt he played well when coming on.

This tie is far from over. I remember Stirling Albion thrashing Peterhead at Balmoor on the last day of the season 4 years ago after we had won the league. I would settle for a boring 0-0 draw and move on to the Final Play-Off. Have to agree about Smith, he gives 100% every game and deserves to play from the start.

Spoiler

We seem to have had quite a few games recently where we are all over teams miss a few chances get a goal then switch off & let teams back at us, again last night could have been a few ahead before scoring. Albion gradually got into it before half time & pushed on & made chances in the second but not taking them, we had a few as well but happy to head back up the road with a win. After getting away with it early on McDonald was winning nearly every header against McKracken he would have a push or back in & be a pest, for his size he should not have been winning any. Thought we had a decent crowd down for it on a weds night. Also agree about Alan Smith he runs players ragged at times & just a pity he does not get on the score sheet as often as he deserves

Guest TOPFITTER

Once more Peterhead should have had a game done and dusted before 1/2 time but all they had to show was a 1-0 lead. Second half Stirling showed up and could have turned the game and tie around again poor finishing.

Best for Peterhead Mason Robertson (by far) and Alan Smith (Extraordinary effort put in) for Stirling Darren Barr easily then Lee Hamilton and for his second half Ross Kavanagh.

Most Irksome issues, once again the usual standard officials, Colin Steven continual blind eye to Peter MacDonald's challenges was infuriating and the most obvious bias. Who did Albion think they were facing last night, Barcelona ??? Ball Boys or lack of them 1st half smacks of desperation they were like whippets second half when obviously instructed differently and if Stirling's match balls are so precious the dug-out doesn't want to part with them Peterhead can bring some spares down next time, except it will be probably a cup game ;)

See you all Saturday for "Gone With The Wind" safe Journeys :thumsup2

3 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Although I always try and have a balanced view, I’m not going to get caught in ‘whataboutary’ as Hugh Keevin’s would put it, and you know what, maybe over the course of the 90 minutes there was a little bit of tit for tat in that sakes, however the most memorable ones for me were when we were chasing the game and Peterhead were doing all the things that most teams do when they are in a winning position.

On Smith, he’s impressed me in the last couple of meetings between the 2 sides. I remember Dunfermline fans having high hopes for him a few years back, no doubt he played well when coming on.

As I said, I agreed with most of the contents of your original post.  However, I am going to take exception to this one - I don't think it can be classed as whataboutery when we are both speaking about the same subject but with opposing views of who were the worst culprits. :unsure:

Looking forward to Saturday and hopefully both teams put on a performance (the football kind, not the drama) and give the fans something to cheer.  No disrespect intented to the others in the play-offs but my preference is for the team that wins this one to go on and clinch promotion.

No disrespect intented to the others in the play-offs but my preference is for the team that wins this one to go on and clinch promotion.

Id agree with that tbh.

Whoever scores first on Saturday will go on to win this tie imo. Hopefully we get ourselves a nice early goal.

1 hour ago, Dumb yatt said:

Guys  give car drivers an approx travel time last Tuesday. Any tips?

On Weds I took around 3hrs leaving Ellon between Aberdeen & Peterhead just after 3pm. The trip depends quite a bit on the time taken to get through Aberdeen, bear in mind Hibs play Aberdeen with a 3pm kick off tomorrow as well & the routes through the city are similar. There are roadwork's speed restrictions north of Aberdeen but this just tends to slow things down a bit but you should keep moving.

Guys  give car drivers an approx travel time last Tuesday. Any tips?
Dont follow the signs or your sat nav to phd when you come in to aberdeen,basically head for pittodrie and then pick up the road from there its a lot easier

33 minutes ago, JakeSAFC said:

Will there be segregation tomorrow or will it be be the usual swapping ends?

That depends, do you promise to behave?

Seriously I cannot see us putting in segregation for this one.   There were no problems at the mid-week game or not that I witnessed.

That depends, do you promise to behave?

Seriously I cannot see us putting in segregation for this one.   There were no problems at the mid-week game or not that I witnessed.

I'm always behaved.

I thought that, but I wasn't too sure. Thought with there most likely being a bigger crowd than usual for both of us they might enforce it.

5 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

That went surprisingly smoothly. Same again next week please.

Agree it turned out less stressful than anticipated. Good performance throughout the team hopefully the lads can keep it going to end the season on a high.

Archived