Arbroath v Dumbarton | Dumbarton v Arbroath | Championship Play Off Semi

Job done. Nothing more, but we got there.

We could have and should have, been out of sight in the first twenty minutes with the chances and utter domination we had. But we didn't capitalise, sat back and allowed Arbroath to come onto us.

I don't feel they had much going forward other than lumping it forward, which was meat and drink for Dowie and Hill who were both superb, albeit they did launch everything at us in the last fifteen.

As folks have said, we'll need to seriously up our game for Alloa, they must be a better side than Arbroath who were pretty poor and one-dimensional to me, but I'm happy we're through, which to be honest is all this tie was ever about.

Still a job half done and I'd love to see several changes for the Alloa tie but we all know it's likely to be more protecting and sitting in and we'll see how that goes over two legs against a good Alloa side.

One dimensional?

What could we actually do when you had so many men behind the ball? You got a throw in with about 15 minutes left, 4 players were forward and 6 of your players circled the 3 we had upfront, our defence spent most of the game on the halfway line, what were we supposed to do?

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One dimensional?

What could we actually do when you had so many men behind the ball? You got a throw in with about 15 minutes left, 4 players were forward and 6 of your players circled the 3 we had upfront, our defence spent most of the game on the halfway line, what were we supposed to do?

With 15 minutes to go and the tie poised the way it was and us playing woefully, I'd expect us to defend deep. You guys would've done the same thing had the roles been reversed.

Montrose surely a good shout for highest placed Angus side next season.

Early days but I’d guess they’d be the worst shout for highest placed

Brechin will have money to spend, Forfar have got off to a good start and have Hilson/Baird and Easton signed up and we will keep the core of this team that finished a point off the best placed part time team

With 15 minutes to go and the tie poised the way it was and us playing woefully, I'd expect us to defend deep. You guys would've done the same thing had the roles been reversed.

Of course we would, but I dunno how you’d expect us to play through a team that was camped into their own half defending deep for most of the game?

I have been retired for 11 years and never once have I had to prove that I was entitled to enter by the concession turnstile until to-day .Either the ticket collector had poor eye sight or I have found the elixor of youth and now look 11 years younger than I actually appear. Obviously Dumbarton must be short of money when the go to these lenghts.

I have been retired for 11 years and never once have I had to prove that I was entitled to enter by the concession turnstile until to-day .Either the ticket collector had poor eye sight or I have found the elixor of youth and now look 11 years younger than I actually appear. Obviously Dumbarton must be short of money when the go to these lenghts.

Just a youth.

32 minutes ago, Housecaptain said:

I did say earlier in the thread that the stewards are dead officious about these things. With the amount of time the woman spent staring at my Student ID I'd guess she'd be well placed to answer a short quiz about me.

I'd take it as a compliment if I were you ;)

I hope in future our stewards are trained to use their crystal balls to determine who qualifies for a concession.

My view of the ties...the better team won

Arbroath are a tough physical side that caused us problems...but apart from the goal we gifted them...didn't actually look like scoring today

Andy Stirling...not his best game, but Arbroath seemed to have learned after Wednesday and were doubling up on him...but what a pass near the end for Burt...dont know how he missed it

My MOTM...Danny Handling...thought he was superb today

"Listen brothers and sisters, please stay away from the brown acid!"

As many have already said, the main thing was that we progressed without really doing much at all. Arbroath had plenty of the ball (because we kept gifting it back to them!) but they really didn't threaten all that much and we were pretty comfortable defensively. We just sat too deep and were wasteful when in possession.

I think it highlights where a team like Arbroath lack quality in comparison to a team in the Championship this season - with the obvious Brechin exception. They were very one dimensional over both legs and I don't think they would have scored if he hadn't gifted them the goal today through 2 errors from Dick and Dowie.

Anyway, nice to move into the final with it all to play for against a side we actually know quite a bit about.

As it happens I’m really pleased for Montrose and Stewart Petrie. Future Arbroath manager.   In your dreams. That will not be happening

You have no way of knowing what the future holds, I in no way ever saw Dick Campbell sitting on our dugout, but 1 survival, 1 championship and a championship playoff later

Just now, ecto said:

You have no way of knowing what the future holds, I in no way ever saw Dick Campbell sitting on our dugout, but 1 survival, 1 championship and a championship playoff later

Surely it should be league 1 title and not championship?

Archived