Arbroath v Dumbarton | Dumbarton v Arbroath | Championship Play Off Semi

If I was an Arbroath fan I'd be gutted. We were there for the taking but they didn't seem to have anything aside from balls hoofed straight at Dowie and Dill.
We'll need to seriously up it for Alloa though. 

To be fair after 1-0 you sat right in

First 15 thought you’d batter us we were shakey but when we settled into the game we were well on top, few breaks you could’ve scored on though

Thought we got it spot on with subs, would’ve punted Wallace instead of McKenna with the way we were launching it at the end

Thought Swankie was excellent upfront, man of the match for me

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was so frustrating, lost a cheap goal then pretty much dominated. 

We didn’t everything right apart from get that 2nd goal, brilliant season and effort froM everyone, just gutted as this was a chance missed.

Maybe not the time to look back but if Doris had been fit I think we could’ve made the championship. 

That was so frustrating, lost a cheap goal then pretty much dominated. 
We didn’t everything right apart from get that 2nd goal, brilliant season and effort froM everyone, just gutted as this was a chance missed.
Maybe not the time to look back but if Doris had been fit I think we could’ve made the championship. 

Hopefully signs a new deal and comes back stronger next season. Terrific footballer and has been a great servant in his many spells

My view of the ties...the better team won

Arbroath are a tough physical side that caused us problems...but apart from the goal we gifted them...didn't actually look like scoring today

Andy Stirling...not his best game, but Arbroath seemed to have learned after Wednesday and were doubling up on him...but what a pass near the end for Burt...dont know how he missed it

My MOTM...Danny Handling...thought he was superb today

The fact we came through that playing dreadfully with some peak Aitken tactics/subs/starting 11 says a lot about Arbroath IMO. The confidence was oozing out them pre match, especially that stan3600 c**t so it's pleasing to dispose of them playing eye bleedingly bad. Their long ball tactics were never going to prevail and there seemed to be no plan B. We were there for the taking and never went behind the entire tie.

Unfortunately Alloa are a different beast and if we turn in an amateur performance against them we will be punished. Handling and Russell to be nowhere near our starting 11 plz. How anyone can think Handling was motm today is beyond me.

The fact we came through that playing dreadfully with some peak Aitken tactics/subs/starting 11 says a lot about Arbroath IMO. The confidence was oozing out them pre match, especially that stan3600 c**t so it's pleasing to dispose of them playing eye bleedingly bad. Their long ball tactics were never going to prevail and there seemed to be no plan B. We were there for the taking and never went behind the entire tie.

Unfortunately Alloa are a different beast and if we turn in an amateur performance against them we will be punished. Handling and Russell to be nowhere near our starting 11 plz. How anyone can think Handling was motm today is beyond me.

You seem very bitter

Maybe you played dreadfully because we played well? We look like a much better team tbh. Best team doesn’t always win though. Alloa are very similar to ourselves, look at the league table.

I actually hope you stay up but after this be a laugh if you came down and finished below us next season

We're pretty rotten but Arbroath never managed to convert their possession. Quite hard to say anything positive about today other than we defended well for the most part.  I have no idea why Froxy and Stewart can get nowhere near the team. Based on his brief showing today, maybe Nisbet should start on Wednesday. Five former Sons in the Alloa starting line up today and a goal from Kirkpatrick. We'll need to be much, much better against them.

Other than mistake that gifted the Arbroath goal I’m struggling to think of any stage we were in danger but kept thinking if you keep giving a team the ball theneventually they might score.

at the risk of being lynched I thought nisbet did ok when he can on today

You seem very bitter

Maybe you played dreadfully because we played well? We look like a much better team tbh. Best team doesn’t always win though. Alloa are very similar to ourselves, look at the league table.

I actually hope you stay up but after this be a laugh if you came down and finished below us next season

We played dreadful because we played dreadful but if it makes you feel better we can pretend Arbroath were brilliant. I have absolutely zero reason to be bitter, we won.

If we come down there's every chance we'll finish below you. I'm not remotely confident of defeating Alloa over 2 legs and with our stadium requiring upwards of 100k worth of repairs then I'll be expecting a bottom half budget.

6 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

You're surely having a laugh.

I was starting to think that maybe I was seeing things through anti-Danny Handling spectacles, so it's a relief to see yourself and BBPF saying what I was thinking.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You seem very bitter

You guys played well in a few respects: The players looked like they actually wanted to win, you controlled the midfield, won near enough every 50/50 and (and this won't go down well with a few Lichties) I thought Wallace was clever in the way he held the ball up and won cheap fouls.

For all the dominance though Scott Gallacher really only had one big save to make - and that came from Bobby Linn in the first half. Getting the ball players like him, Swankie and McKenna on the ball down the wings more often looked like being the key to any success - but firing crosses and long balls at Dowie and Hill is only ever going to have one outcome. Especially when you don't have a big forward who can try and bully them. As seemed to be the case on Wednesday, I thought that the Subs weakened Arbroath's attack.

From our point-of-view we've spent this season camped in our box trying to defend from (no disrespect intended here) far more dangerous teams than Arbroath. Stevie's gameplan appeared to rest on us not being broken down and, assuming that's what it was, then fair play to him. It wasn't pretty but it was effective.

We played dreadful because we played dreadful but if it makes you feel better we can pretend Arbroath were brilliant. I have absolutely zero reason to be bitter, we won.

If we come down there's every chance we'll finish below you. I'm not remotely confident of defeating Alloa over 2 legs and with our stadium requiring upwards of 100k worth of repairs then I'll be expecting a bottom half budget.

Jesus....what’s wrong with the stadium?

Doesn’t really matter if you’ve won or not though does it? Bitter because of comments before the game.

Don’t think anyone would say we played brilliantly, but we looked much better than you for 120 minutes of that tie. Not that it matters

Good luck in the final

Jesus....what’s wrong with the stadium?

There's a fair few things unfortunately. Historic Scotland are demanding a new wall is built alongside the castle, the dip in the pitch needs sorted, the floodlights need upgraded etc. Stuff you don't really notice but needs done.

The owners are actually claiming it will cost upwards of 200k but that's wildly inflated IMO.

Doesn’t really matter if you’ve won or not though does it? Bitter because of comments before the game.

Don’t think anyone would say we played brilliantly, but we looked much better than you for 120 minutes of that tie. Not that it matters

Good luck in the final

I can confirm I'm not remotely bitter in the slightest but I did notice an air of confidence from Arbroath fans which was unjustified IMO.

Thank you for your well wishes.

Deserved win imo. Defended very well although we were way too panicky and wasteful in possession.

I expect we will need a similar performance against Alloa. Not sure why people are convinced that they will be much tougher opponents than Arbroath.

Archived