Stenhousemuir -vs- Queen's Park, Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir

We looked very comfortable until Stenny scored; Galt and Donnelly again the stars. But we lost the momentum and even after we scored, we didn't seem to get back in it. Hanging on at the end but defending's part of the game too and we coped.

Mad challenge by Cummins although perhaps not a red.

Happy enough with the draw given the way it ended up. We're not a physically strong side and did well to keep it level. Gibson excellent at the back but no passengers overall.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a pretty entertaining game. A draw might have been the fair result but I can't help but think if Eddie Ferns could cross the ball consistently, we would have won that. The number of times he found himself haring towards the byline, only to slice his cross out of play, was astonishing. Fair play to him, he set up Jimmy Scott's opening goal, but still.

The opening exchanges were pretty even (although Queen's Park did look tasty whenever Aidan Keena got on the ball) but Stenny took control after scoring, Scott stooping at the back post to nod home Ferns' looping cross. After that, they created some decent chances with Ferns driving wide of the post and Mark McGuigan's lob just dipping over the bar. I thought if we could keep up the pressure going into the second half, we'd go further ahead...

...only for Queen's Park to score within a minute of the restart. Robbie Leitch's goal was wonderfully worked, a couple of rat-a-tat passes finding Gregor Fotheringham inside the penalty box to cut back for the midfielder. Fotheringham looked quite handy whenever he got on the ball in the final third - how come he didn't do that for us? The Warriors could have taken the lead shortly afterwards when Colin McMenamin headed Scott's cross against the post. After that, Stenny continued to press but couldn't really find a way to goal. Ferns continued to frustrate and McGuigan and Harry Paton weren't 100 per cent fit and were replaced later on.

The game really burst into life when Adam Cummins was sent off for a terrible tackle on Ruaridh Donaldson - the full-back had galloped past two Queen's Park played before Cummins recklessly slid into him and wiped him out. I couldn't quite believe his team-mates contested the decision. After that, QP, as you might expect, sat back and defended deep, forcing us into playing speculative balls into their box. It didn't really work and the only other time we came close to scoring was when Michael White punched Alan Cook's corner off the line.

Queen's Park were okay. Keena was pretty good and Luke Donnelly showed some nice touches, but they're there for the taking. Their full-backs were poor, Sean Burns especially, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of muscle in there. Heck, they might say the same thing about us! As for the Warriors, I can't really fault anyone's effort, it's just perpetually frustrating to see good opportunities break down through bad decisions or poor play. I do fancy us at the weekend, although it might be without Colin McMenamin - someone suggested he'd broken his arm at the end of the game. I certainly hope not, as he did pretty damn well.

29 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I do fancy us at the weekend, although it might be without Colin McMenamin - someone suggested he'd broken his arm at the end of the game.

wouldn't be unhappy to see the back of McMenamin who's been a thorn in our flesh in previous play-offs, but you can almost see the Longworth script being written for him especially with our only decent central defender suspended now :unsure:

Typical play off game really. Very few chances but some decent stuff from both sides. What an enigma Eddie Ferns is. First half he was excellent but the number of times he did really well to get into great positions only to fcuk it up.

Paton was well marshalled by Brady but it was pretty clear he wasn’t 100% fit. I suspect it will be the same on Saturday.

McMenamin said he had broken his arm at the end of the game. I expect he will retire at the end of the season so probably he has played his last game.

I thought the red looked harsh but I didn’t have the best of views. Having said that the Queen’s no17 is a right dick. Spoiling for it the minute he came on.

This is too close to call.

Playoffs are great if you’re a neutral, but horrible to be part of.  As 50-50 a game as you’ll ever see. I thought Cummins tackle was a bad yella, but I’m willing to be proven wrong by the footage.

23 minutes ago, an86 said:

Playoffs are great if you’re a neutral, but horrible to be part of.  As 50-50 a game as you’ll ever see. I thought Cummins tackle was a bad yella, but I’m willing to be proven wrong by the footage.

It was a straight red. Brutal challenge.

Update on Colin, he has went to A&E but Brown says that they think that he has broken his arm.

What was the score with the free kick that ended up in the net? I’d looked away and just saw it flying in. Quite often, a ref will just let it flow. Some of the players were pretty irate anyway.

23 minutes ago, an86 said:

What was the score with the free kick that ended up in the net? I’d looked away and just saw it flying in. Quite often, a ref will just let it flow. Some of the players were pretty irate anyway.

No idea - would need to ask the referee. He had his shaving foam out so not sure - did they maybe take it from the wrong spot?

12 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

No idea - would need to ask the referee. He had his shaving foam out so not sure - did they maybe take it from the wrong spot?

I think the referee made a big mistake there but I am not sure we deserved a win. Cummins made a stupid tackle and can have no complaint although I do think another referee might have seen it as a booking. We were vulnerable in both full back positions. Why we keep backing off opponents running at us beats me. I would give Sean pass marks for going forward but Millen has just not been with the pace for a few games. That worries me for Saturday. Enjoyed the game and all to play for on Saturday. Sorry for McMenamin. I wish him a speedy recovery.

14 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Having said that the Queen’s no17 is a right dick. Spoiling for it the minute he came on.

If that was Mortimer then that surprises me as I've never seen that side of him before.............................but good if true as he needs to get in defender's faces if he is ever going to make it at this level.

Can understand your frustration Beaver, but in a play-off match would you be criticising one of your own players if he was "spoiling for it" for your team, but managing to avoid the referee's attention?

It was a straight red. Brutal challenge.

Update on Colin, he has went to A&E but Brown says that they think that he has broken his arm.

Got to laugh at some of our fans yelling cheat and there’s nothing wrong wi ye after Cummin’s tackle [emoji85]
Thought Scott Gibson immense and Brady and Fotheringham did well in centre mid and Donnelly some lovely touches as per
Mark Ferry pretty anonymous but impressed by Paton 8?
A frustrating night for Keena Hes not been at his best last few games but reckon he’s due on Sat on a bigger pitch...
Fear Cummins absence could be crucial as we don’t have many fit or able replacements but time will tell...

46 minutes ago, The Spider said:

If that was Mortimer then that surprises me as I've never seen that side of him before.............................but good if true as he needs to get in defender's faces if he is ever going to make it at this level.

Can understand your frustration Beaver, but in a play-off match would you be criticising one of your own players if he was "spoiling for it" for your team, but managing to avoid the referee's attention?

It was an observation.

35 minutes ago, Alf Stamp Army said:

Got to laugh at some of our fans yelling cheat and there’s nothing wrong wi ye after Cummin’s tackle emoji85.png
Thought Scott Gibson immense and Brady and Fotheringham did well in centre mid and Donnelly some lovely touches as per
Mark Ferry pretty anonymous but impressed by Paton 8?
A frustrating night for Keena Hes not been at his best last few games but reckon he’s due on Sat on a bigger pitch...
Fear Cummins absence could be crucial as we don’t have many fit or able replacements but time will tell...

Funnily enough I think it was Paton's poorest performance for us but I think he is really struggling with an injury.

I always used to think Ferry was "anonymous" until I watched him this season. He just gets through a power of work. Is a good foil for Paton.

I thought the speedy forwards (7 in particular) gave our defence a lot to think about.

And I McLaughlin is the alternative to Cummins, then this is good news for us!!

17 hours ago, beaver1 said:

Having said that the Queen’s no17 is a right dick. Spoiling for it the minute he came on.

3 hours ago, The Spider said:

Can understand your frustration observation Beaver, but in a play-off match would you be criticising one of your own players if he was "spoiling for it" for your team, but managing to avoid the referee's attention?

2 hours ago, beaver1 said:

It was an observation.

Thanks for keeping me right Beaver, and if it keeps you happy I've now appropriately amended my question. Care to answer it or are you busy sulking observing?

Archived