Stenhousemuir -vs- Queen's Park, Queen's Park -vs- Stenhousemuir

Alright troops, I wasn't sure which forum to start this thread in but since we're hoping to gatecrash League 1, we might as well host it here.

Queen's Park and Stenhousemuir are quite familiar with one another and have met twice before in the play-offs. The first time was in 2009 in an identical situation to now - the Spiders finished the Second Division in ninth, the Warriors fourth in the Third Division, and it was Stenhousemuir who triumphed with an aggregate score of 2-1, before going on to win promotion by beating Cowdenbeath. The second was in 2015 - Stenny finished League 1 in ninth after a dire campaign but somehow overcame East Fife to take on third-place QP, conquerers of Arbroath, in the final and won 2-1 across the two legs.

With that in mind, I'm fairly confident going into these two matches. Stenhousemuir have been wildly inconsistent this season but when we're in form, we're a pretty good side. After making a brief appearance from the bench at yesterday's match with Stirling Albion, Mark McGuigan should be fit and I imagine he'd be a threat to Queen's Park's leaky defence. There will be a few well-known faces in the Stenny ranks with Mark Ferry and the Dunlop brothers likely to start.

I've only watched Queen's Park sporadically over the season. I was very impressed with their performance against Arbroath yesterday - it could be argued that the Lichties had an eye elsewhere and perhaps didn't take the match as seriously as they should, but you can't argue with QP's showing and the quality of Luke Donnelly's goals. I always quite liked him when he was on loan at East Stirlingshire.

I'm really looking forward to Tuesday night. Just have fun and try your best.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just happy to be involved tbh. I thought we were a goner. Same application and performance as Saturday and we’ll have a chance of coming through a difficult tie. Whoever plays the second bottom side will always rightfully feel confident, given that the team will normally have had a confidence sapping season.

Galt doing a marathon is great for him, but not ideal for us. He scored an in off the bar screamer in the playoffs against Clyde, so he can do what he wants forever more. Important not to play ourselves out of the tie and make sure we’re in reasonable nick for Saturday. Hopefully decent numbers through to get behind the team.

Edit- I assume we’ll get the terracing?

Two thoroughly deplorable football clubs. One which constantly amends its original constitution for the sake of remaining competitive, another which promotes foul play and intimidates rival fans with heavy-handed stewarding practices. I, for one, am not looking forward to both of these sides occupying League 2 next year.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

Two thoroughly deplorable football clubs. One which constantly amends its original constitution for the sake of remaining competitive, another which promotes foul play and intimidates rival fans with heavy-handed stewarding practices. I, for one, am not looking forward to both of these sides occupying League 2 next year.

Nice to hear from you again Bully, where have you been hiding all season? Anyway, what are you doing on this thread when you should surely be concentrating on your own play-off match? Oops, my mistake, just noticed that you failed to beat Berwick by the six goal margin that many of your itinerant brethren were predicting, somehow managing to lose against 10 men. Still, there's always next season for you to live up to your temporary displacement (gosh, will this be your tenth attempt at it already) and regain your rightful place in the higher echelons. It's a real shame that your players don't have the courage of your convictions, talking of which how many rapists, drug dealers and gbh merchants have your own fine example of a football club got lined up for this summer's signing spree?

Anyway, always good to read your insightful commentary on the game, and hopefully you'll treat us to more of it should we be fortunate enough to be in League 2 this year (I would have thought by now that you would have realised that the seasons end and start in the same year you silly boy). Missing you already xx

2 minutes ago, The Spider said:

Nice to hear from you again Bully, where have you been hiding all season? Anyway, what are you doing on this thread when you should surely be concentrating on your own play-off match? Oops, my mistake, just noticed that you failed to beat Berwick by the six goal margin that many of your itinerant brethren were predicting, somehow managing to lose against 10 men. Still, there's always next season for you to live up to your temporary displacement (gosh, will this be your tenth attempt at it already) and regain your rightful place in the higher echelons. It's a real shame that your players don't have the courage of your convictions, talking of which how many rapists, drug dealers and gbh merchants have your own fine example of a football club got lined up for this summer's signing spree?

Anyway, always good to read your insightful commentary on the game, and hopefully you'll treat us to more of it should we be fortunate enough to be in League 2 this year (I would have thought by now that you would have realised that the seasons end and start in the same year you silly boy). Missing you already xx

Don’t sugar coat it, tell him how you really feel...

Before Saturday’s performance, I was dreading the thought of the play offs and a potential scudding and a midweek trip to the Bloo Toon to see it. Worse still, potentially getting done over by North Lanarkshire’s third best League outfit and all the top bantz that would go with it.

But here we are, a terrific display and a decidedly more palatable midweek trip. Maybe after a horrendous season, the tide has turned for us. Donnelly and Galt were outstanding on Saturday and we looked a lot more solid at the back.  I can see us doing this.

8 hours ago, The Spider said:

Would have been a lot easier just to tell the fanny to piss off

Well, happy that it is Stirling going to Peterhead and not us, but maybe just delaying the inevitable. Seen enough of these encounters over the years to know that this will be tough. Hopeful McGuigan will be back, able to start tomorrow evening. I am hopeful that him and Dallas will be a good combo up front. Our chances will deteriorate though if Paton doesn't shake off the knock(s) he took on Saturday. With him, we have an excellent chance, without him, I'm less confident. Nevertheless, really looking forward to it.

11 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Didn't you support Cowden over the weekend? What's with the change?

12 hours ago, the_bully_wee said:

Image result for yawn gif

11 hours ago, The Spider said:

You left out right-wing-fascist-nazis. 

2 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

Would have been a lot easier just to tell the fanny to piss off

So true Mick, but he likes having me pander to his ego, so I was happy to oblige. I think the poor wee soul is just upset that his season's over, and promotion dreams will now have to lie idle for a few months. Bless.

4 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Before Saturday’s performance, I was dreading the thought of the play offs and a potential scudding and a midweek trip to the Bloo Toon to see it. Worse still, potentially getting done over by North Lanarkshire’s third  FOURTH best League outfit and all the top bantz that would go with it.

But here we are, a terrific display and a decidedly more palatable midweek trip. Maybe after a horrendous season, the tide has turned for us. Donnelly and Galt were outstanding on Saturday and we looked a lot more solid at the back.  I can see us doing this.

Fixed it for you. They're deluded enough. Definitely do-able, home and away.

4 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

You left out right-wing-fascist-nazis. 

I also left out racists, but that was intentional as the (found guilty) one they have already is more than enough.

Relevant to both teams, but if Peterhead go through will the Balmoor game be on a Tuesday or a Wednesday? Something that really needs to be nailed down, because it’s not one that either QP or Stenny fans can just nip away from work at 5pm and still make the game.

Announcing it on Saturday would be too late because it’s a holiday weekend for many. You can’t just bounce into work on the Tuesday and demand a half day if it happens to be announced for then.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Relevant to both teams, but if Peterhead go through will the Balmoor game be on a Tuesday or a Wednesday? Something that really needs to be nailed down, because it’s not one that either QP or Stenny fans can just nip away from work at 5pm and still make the game.

Announcing it on Saturday would be too late because it’s a holiday weekend for many. You can’t just bounce into work on the Tuesday and demand a half day if it happens to be announced for then.

Emailed the club about this. They won’t know anything until at least after tomorrow’s game. They will do what they can to let folk know by the end of the week.

Stirling could do both sets of fans a favour by seeing off Peterhead. Neither Stenny or QP will fancy the midweek journey. Peterhead will quite rightly call us moany b*****ds, of course. They’ll have to deal with frequent midweek journeys. It’s the short notice that is the killer for the possible opponents, though.

Archived