The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

It works both ways for the players though, the club's showing them a commitment and they only have to look at Murdoch's current predicament to see how a 2 year deal could have definite upside.

True

However if a player knows there’s a lot of interest especially from bigger clubs then it also suits them to sit tight and bank a decent signing on fee. Much like Shankland did.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

In fairness we've not had many saleable assets in recent years, however if League 1 clubs such as Raith are able to pull in £100k for their players then I really don't think there's any reason why we can't, especially in today's market where there's a complete dearth of talent.

I believe that longer term deals where possible are the way forward for clubs like ours and by the same token if our players choose to leave for nothing then so be it, there's not really much we can do about that, however unlike some I definitely do not advocate selling them early for an absolute pittance as that definitely sends out the wrong message to both our fans and our opposition..........

6 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

All well and good but you've failed to answer how we are meant to grow, develop and reinvest if our best players continually leave for nothing?

2 year contracts anyone?

1 year contracts and Bosman kills clubs in our position. Imagine we had managed to let Shankland, Smith, Crawford, Rose, Forrest, McCowan and Harvie, go in the middle of a 2 year contract each with a 25% sell on clause?

No, I covered that in my earlier post as noted above...............

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

No, I covered that in my earlier post as noted above...............

But ultimately still letting players leave for free if they want to hang about and run down their contract because it might be less than the difference in League position prize money that would OBVIOUSLY occur if player X was to leave.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

True

However if a player knows there’s a lot of interest especially from bigger clubs then it also suits them to sit tight and bank a decent signing on fee. Much like Shankland did.

True, but at our end of the market you'd hope players like Forrest, Harvie, McCowan and the like would see the bigger picture and allow all parties to be financially rewarded. Like Rose did.

You include a very reasonable buyout clause in the last 6 months of their contract that gives us a level of security and protection.

If the unthinkable was to happen and we were to be getting promoted would there be such a huge clamour to leave?

15 minutes ago, rb123! said:

We could announce a new member joining the board with fresh investment and you'd still find something negative to say.

Quote me where I have said anything negative? 

From the outset it looks like a good move for the club with hopefully a major cash injection in January to try and get us over the line. Need to wait and see though. 

34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We could announce administration and you’d manage to put a positive spin on it. 

I'm far from a happy clapper, maybe more of a realist. 

Our Chairman, our current squad and our league position over the past couple of years are as good as I can remember. The club is being run sensibly and as much within our means as possible, we may not like that as fantasist fans however the alternative would most likely end up as administration / liquidation.

I see Ayr as a mid table 2nd tier club hence my expectations maybe somewhat tempered compared to some, but give me that any day over a decade of league 1 journeyman dross, playing out their time in front of crowds in the hundreds and the most exciting match of your season being the "big game" against the likes of other big fish in little pond sides such as a Raith or a Morton............

See they're struggling to fill the supporters bus for Saturday.  Hopefully it's just because of the time of the year and not some massive downturn because of Kerr. 1100 last Saturday was disappointing even accounting for the weather.

Our recent record has not been great, our performances have been mostly poor. Our recent away record is woeful. We are playing a team running away with the league who have won 8 games in a row, the weather is miserable, it’s a week before Christmas and they charge you £25 for entry. No wonder we can’t fill the bus!

Think that’s quite a good appointment which has been made at board level. Ayr fan from a sizeable local company who can bring different opinions and ideas to the boardroom. Seems to be a growing company so potentially room for greater involvement if it works out well. Might save the club a few bob also with the cash guzzling maintenance projects needed each summer 

https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/moorey-signs-new-deal/?fbclid=IwAR1bhTbAk1jmrXJB88Zks0LORqKq85LM2oBBzOuc4OV6G6TMHNKgYzeimfA
Kerr indicating further strengthening of the squad in the next couple of weeks, not sure if he means new signings or contract extensions

I would imagine new signings going by his wording.

I would also guess that he would’ve have known his budget before because of the potential investment but going by what he’s just said he knows what he’s got to spend.