The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The reaction on here is hilarious. Robbo saying 'that's the last thing I'm saying on this' before saying lots more, djaffo getting too optimistic and then too pessimistic in the space of hours, mentions of stevo, free pies, harkins wage thief and bitcoin super-stadium.

Any news is good news, unless it's bad news or somewhere in the middle news. #imminent

I love p&b.

Hopefully an experienced coach to help out and get Kerr back playing more. Perhaps even an investor to appear from nowhere which helps explain  the recent financial goings on. Some purpose built or fixed training facilities that could be viewed as a permanent base for the whole club. Maybe even something small like the return of a cash gate after a successful trial last Saturday 

21 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

. Maybe even something small like the return of a cash gate after a successful trial last Saturday 

Would be good to say what gate people paid at to catch the THIEF , for anyone who paid cash that person just stole the money from you and the club , pretty grim if you ask me 

Would be good to say what gate people paid at to catch the THIEF , for anyone who paid cash that person just stole the money from you and the club , pretty grim if you ask me 

Not disputing that it’s poor IF someone has been stealing from the club but if anyone has information on this they should contact the club directly rather than start accusing people of theft on an Internet forum.

23 minutes ago, Parkhouse said:

Not disputing that it’s poor IF someone has been stealing from the club but if anyone has information on this they should contact the club directly rather than start accusing people of theft on an Internet forum.

Yes they should contact the club to make them aware , but now they are aware something will be done , believe someone has good information that is hopefully passed on to the proper people 

15 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Can’t see too much upheaval in January , what do you think about selling a player in January ? Most fans complained we got nothing for our stars who all left at end of season , should we sell one of our stars in January to raise money ( Harvie, Forrest ?) I believe there is some good news coming soon !! ( nothing more to announce on this )

If the likes of Forrest or Harvie were going to leave in the summer for nothing, then I'd be inclined to accept a bid for either for anything over £100k, however I'd not entertain anyone for less than this figure.

The reasoning behind this I covered in a previous post, where the league prize money is actually the difference of £100k between finishing 4th and 6th and as such it could potentially cost us £100k + letting our best players leave mid way through the season.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If the likes of Forrest or Harvie were going to leave in the summer for nothing, then I'd be inclined to accept a bid for either for anything over £100k, however I'd not entertain anyone for less than this figure.

The reasoning behind this I covered in a previous post, where the league prize money is actually the difference of £100k between finishing 4th and 6th and as such it could potentially cost us £100k + letting our best players leave mid way through the season.

Cameron mentioned we never actually received any bids for Shankland last January.  Says a lot about the market.  Clubs are unlikely to offer us 6 figures for players they can get for free 5 months later.

5 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Cameron mentioned we never actually received any bids for Shankland last January.  Says a lot about the market.  Clubs are unlikely to offer us 6 figures for players they can get for free 5 months later.

That being the case then I wouldn't be letting anyone leave in January. If they want they can sign a pre contract but I certainly wouldn't be letting them walk away for nothing or next to nothing while still under contract.

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That being the case then I wouldn't be letting anyone leave in January. If they want they can sign a pre contract but I certainly wouldn't be letting them walk away for nothing or next to nothing while still under contract.

Don’t think anyone was suggesting that, though it may suit all parties if Doolan goes back to Partick as a coach.  I was more referring to the idea that we should cash in on players like Harvie before their contract expires.  I just don’t think it’s as easy as that with the Shankland situation showing how hard it is for a club like Ayr to get decent money for players approaching the end of contracts.  I’ve heard a few people saying we should have cashed in on Shankland last January - turns out there were no actual offers to cash in on.

Looking back, I honestly can’t think of too many 6 figure transfers for Ayr players.  Teale, Hurst and Nicol come to mind, but not many others. I remember us getting decent money for John Sharples and Frank Rolling back in the 90s, but even then I don’t recall it being 100k+.  

The easy answer is multi-year deals, but we can’t force players to sign and we don’t necessarily have the ready cash to fund such deals anyway.

17 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t think anyone was suggesting that, though it may suit all parties if Doolan goes back to Partick as a coach.  I was more referring to the idea that we should cash in on players like Harvie before their contract expires.  I just don’t think it’s as easy as that with the Shankland situation showing how hard it is for a club like Ayr to get decent money for players approaching the end of contracts.  I’ve heard a few people saying we should have cashed in on Shankland last January - turns out there were no actual offers to cash in on.

Looking back, I honestly can’t think of too many 6 figure transfers for Ayr players.  Teale, Hurst and Nicol come to mind, but not many others. I remember us getting decent money for John Sharples and Frank Rolling back in the 90s, but even then I don’t recall it being 100k+.  

The easy answer is multi-year deals, but we can’t force players to sign and we don’t necessarily have the ready cash to fund such deals anyway.

In fairness we've not had many saleable assets in recent years, however if League 1 clubs such as Raith are able to pull in £100k for their players then I really don't think there's any reason why we can't, especially in today's market where there's a complete dearth of talent.

I believe that longer term deals where possible are the way forward for clubs like ours and by the same token if our players choose to leave for nothing then so be it, there's not really much we can do about that, however unlike some I definitely do not advocate selling them early for an absolute pittance as that definitely sends out the wrong message to both our fans and our opposition..........