The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

23 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I keep hearing from various sources that McCall is after Moore, Forrest, Harvie & McCowan however I take it all with a huge pinch of salt.

Other than Moore the rest are under contract until the summer at least and in McCowans case an additional year, so he is COMPLETELY out of the reach of McCall & Partick.

As for Harvie & Forrest, well again I'd find it hard to believe that either would seriously be looking at a move to a club like Partick Thistle, especially when their stock is currently so high, furthermore I would imagine that it would take bids of £100k+ each, for our board to even listen to anything in January, as both are key players and we certainly wouldn't be selling to a rival unless we received silly money knowing that they would potentially be walking away for nothing in the summer.

The other two mentioned regularly are Doohan & Kelly but again there's seriously no way that Rangers and Celtic would recall two players who've been developing well at the top end of the Championship to hand them instead to a team struggling at the bottom and potentially heading for League 1.

As for Moore, if he goes he goes and as much as I'd quite like him to stay, I certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him...............

Do you remember what happened to Shankland? If the players can leave for free in the summer, the January transfer window's when we should cash in. Unfortunately without the strength of argument to start the bidding at 100k.

We'd be lucky to get a quarter of that if the players intention is to sit and leave for free in the summer.

Buying clubs could quite easily make contact with 3rd parties in January to ask the players to sit tight and run their contract down. Healthy signing on fee for the player, a cut for his agent and the selling club left with nothing but memories.

Edited by BukyOHare

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Do you remember what happened to Shankland? If the players can leave for free in the summer, the January transfer window's when we should cash in. Unfortunately without the strength of argument to start the bidding at 100k.

We'd be lucky to get a quarter of that if the players intention is to sit and leave for free in the summer.

Buying clubs could quite easily make contact with 3rd parties in January to ask the players to sit tight and run their contract down. Healthy signing on fee for the player, a cut for his agent and the selling club left with nothing but memories.

Losing a league position from 4th to 5th would cost us £75k in prize money and 4th to 6th would be a difference of £100k, as such it wouldn't make any financial sense to let ANYONE go for under £100k, especially if it means strengthening one of your main rivals.

Does anyone ever notice that our games consistently get the least column inches in terms of previews in the papers? Also always seems to be based on the other team. Do we do all we can to engage the press?

Seems like a small thing but this type of thing can play a small part in helping shake the apathy off in the town.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Losing a league position from 4th to 5th would cost us £75k in prize money and 4th to 6th would be a difference of £100k, as such it wouldn't make any financial sense to let ANYONE go for under £100k, especially if it means strengthening one of your main rivals.

I like the way you're thinking but clubs generally don't buy players at our level for £100k+, more so in January.

With that in mind you're better off getting a percentage of something than stubbornly holding out and ending up getting nothing.

We don't have the bargaining power to hold out or we'll end up with disgruntled players when January comes and goes, then losing more of our better players for nothing when their contract runs down.

The selling club is pretty powerless at our level of the game when faced with this scenario and having their better players on 1 year contracts.

Edited by BukyOHare

If Kerr picked the same team today hoping for a reaction, will he have the bottle to change it for Tuesday?
Obviously cannot continue the way it is.

I’m hoping he’s gave himself the last 15 today in preparation for Tuesday. McCowan will also be back as well.

Patience and trust in Kerrball is beginning to wear thin already, next two games are must wins, no less than 6 out of 6 will be acceptable, if we get less than maximum points i believe we'll get dragged into the relegation battle. I already do think we will get into trouble in the bottom half of the table but not being able to beat two part time teams would cement my thoughts about relegation.

This also brings up the debate of how good our squad actually is in terms of talent, are players like Forrest, Harvie, Moffat, Kelly, Docherty and Doohan as phenomenal as we really thought. Or was it the case of Ian McCall's qualities as a manger meaning he got them overachieving in terms of performances because in the few games under Kerr, Harvie and Forrest have returned to their absolute dugmeat best.

Only way to stop this slide is to get in a half decent experienced manager like Peter Houston, or give Kerr money in January to go out and get a proper experienced 3rd coach in the dugout and at least 4 or 5 decent signings. It's an absolute joke that the board and Cameron think it's acceptable to run at a squad size which has meant we've only been able to fill a whole bench 5 times out of 15 games.

If he gets no other coach in on the sidelines and only gets the funds for a couple of shitey signings it's only going one way in my feeling and it's the same way we went with Mark Roberts, downwards...

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Patience and trust in Kerrball is beginning to wear thin already, next two games are must wins, no less than 6 out of 6 will be acceptable, if we get less than maximum points i believe we'll get dragged into the relegation battle. I already do think we will get into trouble in the bottom half of the table but not being able to beat two part time teams would cement my thoughts about relegation.

This also brings up the debate of how good our squad actually is in terms of talent, are players like Forrest, Harvie, Moffat, Kelly, Docherty and Doohan as phenomenal as we really thought. Or was it the case of Ian McCall's qualities as a manger meaning he got them overachieving in terms of performances because in the few games under Kerr, Harvie and Forrest have returned to their absolute dugmeat best.

Only way to stop this slide is to get in a half decent experienced manager like Peter Houston, or give Kerr money in January to go out and get a proper experienced 3rd coach in the dugout and at least 4 or 5 decent signings. It's an absolute joke that the board and Cameron think it's acceptable to run at a squad size which has meant we've only been able to fill a whole bench 5 times out of 15 games.

If he gets no other coach in on the sidelines and only gets the funds for a couple of shitey signings it's only going one way in my feeling and it's the same way we went with Mark Roberts, downwards...

Yes all those players are very good but just like any other player will go through dips in form and suffer when the balance of the team isn't quite right like it was today. I've watched Kerrs interview and he spoke a lot of sense. 

He's waiting to hear back about a January budget but says there's no rush as no one is available yet that he wants to bring in. That's fair enough. McGuffie isn't fit enough to start games which is why the starting lineup didn't look great. 

The size of squad that started the season isn't what's causing issues right now. It's the fact we've already lost 3 players to injury that we won't see again and Bell and Kerr have picked up a few different knocks. You can't account for 3 players to pick up season ending injuries. 

Simply getting in a 3rd coach isn't going to turn things around. Kerr clearly knows how he wants this team to play and he'll have no issues communicating that to them. However he needs a fair crack at the whip and that means getting players back from injury and suspension and allowing him to bring in guys that he actually wants. Only then can you make an informed decision on how good he is. 

29 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes all those players are very good but just like any other player will go through dips in form and suffer when the balance of the team isn't quite right like it was today. I've watched Kerrs interview and he spoke a lot of sense. 

He's waiting to hear back about a January budget but says there's no rush as no one is available yet that he wants to bring in. That's fair enough. McGuffie isn't fit enough to start games which is why the starting lineup didn't look great. 

The size of squad that started the season isn't what's causing issues right now. It's the fact we've already lost 3 players to injury that we won't see again and Bell and Kerr have picked up a few different knocks. You can't account for 3 players to pick up season ending injuries. 

Simply getting in a 3rd coach isn't going to turn things around. Kerr clearly knows how he wants this team to play and he'll have no issues communicating that to them. However he needs a fair crack at the whip and that means getting players back from injury and suspension and allowing him to bring in guys that he actually wants. Only then can you make an informed decision on how good he is. 

Just watched his interview and tbh he has come across 100 times better than he did after the dunfermline game, he was like a rabbit in the headlight the other night and basically had no explanation for the performance. Can sympathise with Kerr over the squad as it was McCall who signed these injury proned guys lilke Bell and Adams again.

On 06/12/2019 at 15:24, WATTOO said:

I keep hearing from various sources that McCall is after Moore, Forrest, Harvie & McCowan however I take it all with a huge pinch of salt.

Other than Moore the rest are under contract until the summer at least and in McCowans case an additional year, so he is COMPLETELY out of the reach of McCall & Partick.

As for Harvie & Forrest, well again I'd find it hard to believe that either would seriously be looking at a move to a club like Partick Thistle, especially when their stock is currently so high, furthermore I would imagine that it would take bids of £100k+ each, for our board to even listen to anything in January, as both are key players and we certainly wouldn't be selling to a rival unless we received silly money knowing that they would potentially be walking away for nothing in the summer.

The other two mentioned regularly are Doohan & Kelly but again there's seriously no way that Rangers and Celtic would recall two players who've been developing well at the top end of the Championship to hand them instead to a team struggling at the bottom and potentially heading for League 1.

As for Moore, if he goes he goes and as much as I'd quite like him to stay, I certainly wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him...............

No idea where you are getting the Ayr to Thistle rumours from? The only one that has done the rounds is Doolan as a player/coach.  The ones that are on the forums/ Facebook etc are bar Doolan non Ayr United players - one from Ross County and another from another championship team (not Ayr).  Don’t get me wrong the players you have mentioned would be brilliant signings but it’s unfortunately not going to happen.

Forest etc will be on high wages at Somerset anyway 

sounds like it’s just someone in your support has put 2&2 together and come up with 5

Edited by third lanark

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

As January approaches there surely has to be more of a rush to halt the slide we're on by identifying the right players to come in. We need to come out of this transfer window stronger than we go into it or I fear we're sliding down the league, so for me the chat of not being rushed, if that's what he truly believes, is madness.

He came in when we were second in the league, this wasn't a team that was struggling, on the contrary some were saying it was the best Ayr side we'd ever seen.

In short, this wasn't a team needing wholesale changes, a bit of cover and quality depth to give the nucleus of the team a breather now and again. The performances of the likes of Moffat, Doc, Kelly, Harvie and Forrest must be suffering because they're hard at it week after week.

As January approaches there surely has to be more of a rush to halt the slide we're on by identifying the right players to come in. We need to come out of this transfer window stronger than we go into it or I fear we're sliding down the league, so for me the chat of not being rushed, if that's what he truly believes, is madness.
He came in when we were second in the league, this wasn't a team that was struggling, on the contrary some were saying it was the best Ayr side we'd ever seen.
In short, this wasn't a team needing wholesale changes, a bit of cover and quality depth to give the nucleus of the team a breather now and again. The performances of the likes of Moffat, Doc, Kelly, Harvie and Forrest must be suffering because they're hard at it week after week.

I don’t think he means he’s in no rush to sign players. He’s saying there’s no rush for Cameron to confirm his budget as the players he wants to sign aren’t necessarily available yet. He mentioned that towards the end of January things open up as negotiations progress and players become available but if you take Craig Sibbald for example, he may have enquired but Gary Holt hasn’t decided what he wants to do with him yet.

I agree we need players but the last thing we need is having a January like last season where the players we want turn us down and we end up with dross. I think it was widely accepted we needed a striker and a midfielder as a minimum before Kerr came in. Looks like we now need a centre half as well.

Two centre halfs preferably. Always seen this season as a learning one for Roscoe, coming in when needed, kinda the same path Rose had. Bin Muirhead.

I'd prioritise midfielders over forwards, assuming they all stay. Think we'll be lucky to replace all the positions in January like for like, never mind adding to the squad.