The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

You need to remember the time he was injured 2 seasons ago when we waited on him returning, he did then got injured about 3 weeks later again and was out for season , we gave him a new contact ( whilst he was injured) with no absolute security how he would perform after recovery , the club have been very good to him over his tenure with us , many a club would have let him go when his contact was up and waited to see how he recovered 

I think you are mistaken.  I don’t remember us previously giving him a contract when he was injured.  The long term head injury occurred when he was on loan from Motherwell.  He missed about 2 months of the previous season also when he was on loan.  He was fit when he signed for the league title winning year after being freed by Motherwell and started the season like a house on fire.  He did pick up a minor injury that put him out for a few weeks, which unfortunately for him prompted us to take a punt on a certain overweight no-hoper.  Don’t recall him being injured when we re-signed him for last season either.  His biggest issue over the last couple of seasons was being Shankland’s understudy when he had neither the technical ability or physical presence to be a straight replacement,

11 minutes ago, HMIP said:

I think you are mistaken.  I don’t remember us previously giving him a contract when he was injured.  The long term head injury occurred when he was on loan from Motherwell.  He missed about 2 months of the previous season also when he was on loan.  He was fit when he signed for the league title winning year after being freed by Motherwell and started the season like a house on fire.  He did pick up a minor injury that put him out for a few weeks, which unfortunately for him prompted us to take a punt on a certain overweight no-hoper.  Don’t recall him being injured when we re-signed him for last season either.  His biggest issue over the last couple of seasons was being Shankland’s understudy when he had neither the technical ability or physical presence to be a straight replacement,

I am talking about this season , giving him a very good contract  ( even though it was for only 6 months )knowing he was injured with no guarantee how he was going to be after surgery and knowing he would not be  fit for a minimum 3 months of that , we could have said we will see what you are like after surgery recovery , so paid him 3 months salary knowing he would not play , and going on his previous injury record for a number of years 

Edited by Robbo63

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

I am talking about this season , giving him a very good contract  ( even though it was for only 6 months )knowing he was injured with no guarantee how he was going to be after surgery and knowing he would not be  fit for a minimum 3 months of that , we could have said we will see what you are like after surgery recovery , so paid him 3 months salary knowing he would not play , and going on his previous injury record for a number of years 

A 6 month contract is hardly a good deal.  And it’s not like it was a career threatening injury either.  We were told he’d be able to resume training in August with a return in October which is exactly how it panned out.  I think you can only go with the best medical advice when making these decisions.  

The Docherty situation was arguably different in that there seemed to be real doubts about whether he was finished, though I would still say that we were plain lucky that he didn’t perform as he did against Dundee Utd at Somerset a couple of months earlier or we would have been facing the same mess that we now face with Moore.

in the end, I’m not suggesting Moore is irreplaceable, but he has averaged nearly a goal a game for us, which in any non-Shankland era of Ayr United would be worthy of note.  I can’t think of another time when a striker could score 27 goals in a single season and yet not get in the team.  There seem to be a few on here that think we’ll just pluck someone better out of nowhere.  More likely we’ll end up with another carthorse like El Alagui.

A 6 month contract is hardly a good deal.  And it’s not like it was a career threatening injury either.  We were told he’d be able to resume training in August with a return in October which is exactly how it panned out.  I think you can only go with the best medical advice when making these decisions.  
The Docherty situation was arguably different in that there seemed to be real doubts about whether he was finished, though I would still say that we were plain lucky that he didn’t perform as he did against Dundee Utd at Somerset a couple of months earlier or we would have been facing the same mess that we now face with Moore.
in the end, I’m not suggesting Moore is irreplaceable, but he has averaged nearly a goal a game for us, which in any non-Shankland era of Ayr United would be worthy of note.  I can’t think of another time when a striker could score 27 goals in a single season and yet not get in the team.  There seem to be a few on here that think we’ll just pluck someone better out of nowhere.  More likely we’ll end up with another carthorse like El Alagui.

Yes he averaged a goal a game. In League 1. Bringing up Shankland and Nisbet doesn’t change that fact. He’s a decent striker but you’ve no idea what kind of players Kerr and McArdle may look to bring in. It certainly won’t be limited to the lower leagues in Scotland.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yes he averaged a goal a game. In League 1. Bringing up Shankland and Nisbet doesn’t change that fact. He’s a decent striker but you’ve no idea what kind of players Kerr and McArdle may look to bring in. It certainly won’t be limited to the lower leagues in Scotland.

Perhaps, but it does indicate you can make a valued judgement about whether a player might step up.  A club like Ayr with our budgetary constraints will rarely be in a position to sign players that are already proven at championship level and aren’t in demand elsewhere.  That being the case, we will always have to be taking a gamble on players we feel have potential with the aim of developing them into what we need.  There’s hardly a player in our team at the moment that was a proven commodity at championship level before we signed them.

Perhaps, but it does indicate you can make a valued judgement about whether a player might step up.  A club like Ayr with our budgetary constraints will rarely be in a position to sign players that are already proven at championship level and aren’t in demand elsewhere.  That being the case, we will always have to be taking a gamble on players we feel have potential with the aim of developing them into what we need.  There’s hardly a player in our team at the moment that was a proven commodity at championship level before we signed them.

I think you're being harsh.

If he'd not really made it back to full fitness then quite a few fans would be asking why he got a full season deal with such major injury issues and no guarantees.

It might still work out well, and hopefully he stays. But hindsight is 20/20.

I think you're being harsh.

If he'd not really made it back to full fitness then quite a few fans would be asking why he got a full season deal with such major injury issues and no guarantees.

It might still work out well, and hopefully he stays. But hindsight is 20/20.

Exactly

People were asking questions when we gave Docherty an extension last year and people would’ve been skeptic had we just handed Moore a new contract until the end of the season.

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I would be happy to offer Moore an 18 month deal, not sure Thistle will offer him that

Moore has been offered a decent deal , we need to be realistic,  we cannot offer anywhere near what Thistle can , money talks nowadays,  we should not break our wages structure and make him our highest earner to stay  especially with his injury record , we can’t blame club if he leaves , we have a budget that unfortunately we need to live within , we don’t have any big investors sitting on the sideline willing to pump money in , I would rather see my team survive than get into big debt paying over the odds 

Moore has been offered a decent deal , we need to be realistic,  we cannot offer anywhere near what Thistle can , money talks nowadays,  we should not break our wages structure and make him our highest earner to stay  especially with his injury record , we can’t blame club if he leaves , we have a budget that unfortunately we need to live within , we don’t have any big investors sitting on the sideline willing to pump money in , I would rather see my team survive than get into big debt paying over the odds 

Sounds like it’s a done deal that he’s off then, if your information is correct

34 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Sounds like it’s a done deal that he’s off then, if your information is correct

I honestly think Moore will stay and at least see this season out , just pointing out if he was to leave it would not be down to effort from the club 

Edited by Robbo63

It's quite hilarious how Moore has gone from "injury prone diddy who can't cut it at this level" to club legend irreplaceable status in the space of about a month.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like him as a player but I'm under no illusions about his worth and limitations either.

The strength of Ayr United right now is not in individuals but as a collective who play for each other with a set style of play that they all understand, it's that which is bringing us success even when we lose guys like Shankland, Rose, McDaid, Smith & Crawford, so although I do hope Moore stays, I'm pretty sure life will go on without him should he indeed choose to leave.............

Moore is a strange one. I've always liked him and would definitely want him to stay, but most people I know that go to games think he is somewhere between average and useless.  Did think it was strange that Kerr mentioned a few weeks ago that he wanted him to stay and yet nothing had happened. 

The board / McCall seemed to get plenty stick in the summer for wasting a 6 month contract on him so seems harsh to now say we should have been offering a long term deal at the time - I'm not even convinced he would have been in the team right now if McCall was still here. 

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I'm probably just being daft but what's the connection between the two?

Assuming Murdoch signs a new contract he could find himself in  the same position Moore is at present.  If Moore does sign for Partick then the club  has to think what's the point?

I  don't think anyone is saying  Moore is Shankland 2.0. but with the size of the squad already and the players already needing replaced, it's another headache we could do without. Especially if he signs for thrift shop boy up the road.

And Kelly will be the next target I've no doubt.

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Assuming Murdoch signs a new contract he could find himself in  the same position Moore is at present.  If Moore does sign for Partick then the club  has to think what's the point?

I  don't think anyone is saying  Moore is Shankland 2.0. but with the size of the squad already and the players already needing replaced, it's another headache we could do without. Especially if he signs for thrift shop boy up the road.

And Kelly will be the next target I've no doubt.

I'd be shocked if Rangers went to the bother of recalling Kelly just to loan him back out. I think they'll be pretty happy he's playing every week in a team that plays a style of football that gets him on the ball instead of feeding off scraps. He may well end up there next season but we can't do much about that.