The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

He was pretty decent in his first spell for us however always thought Ryan McCann was better. 

Yeah McCann was definitely the better of the two. I reckon McLaughlin looked better playing alongside him tbqh.

Did Roberts not start playing him at centre back in his second spell? Although, I can't quite remember if that was down to injuries or tactics. With Roberts it was hard to tell the difference.

14 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

GK-  Jack Ruddy

RB - Adam Hunter

CB - Marc Twaddle 

CB - Austin McCann 

LB - Kevin Mckinlay 

RM- Gary Harkins

CM- Ryan McStay

CM- Anthony Marenghi 

LM- Michael Donald

ST- Farid El Alagui 

ST- Kris Doolan

V harsh on Adam Hunter.  He was OK

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Over on the Dumbarton and QOTS threads they’ve been talking about their clubs Team of the Decade which got me thinking how many of the players we’ve got now and have had since our return to FT football would make that team up? We’ve not been blessed with many standouts in the years before that.

GK Cuthbert

RB Smith

CB Rose

CB Campbell

LB Malone

RM Forrest

CM Stevenson

CM Geggan

LM McDaid

ST Shankland

ST Moffat

Subs:

Doohan

Adams

Parker

Crawford

Graham

Williams

Roberts

I'm not sure how McDaid is making it into quite a few "teams of the decade", in all honesty I can count on one hand the really good games he had for us, as all too often he flattered to deceive..........

I'm not sure how McDaid is making it into quite a few "teams of the decade", in all honesty I can count on one hand the really good games he had for us, as all too often he flattered to deceive..........
I agree...

But that night at tannadice though. That was one of the best nights of my life.

I agree...

He was phenomenal against Killie as well. In fact I think a lot of people, myself included, were tipping him to be our star player that season but it just didn’t happen.

Definitely a big game player but in the smaller games he just didn’t have that affect.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I agree...

Definitely, in all honesty if someone had told us a couple of years back that we'd be going to Tannadice and beating United 5-0 (going on 7+) you'd probably have been admitted to Ailsa.

There's no doubt that McDaid at his best is a top player, however everything just has to fall right for him, he needs space to run into and he needs his attitude to be 100% and unfortunately those chips just don't drop that often............

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Forrest hasn't been incredible for us (yet) but has had a bigger impact than mcdaid imo.

Yes but he's much more consistent and much more of a team player, I'd also say his all round play and end product are far ahead of McDaid in as much as he scores goals himself and creates lots of space and opportunity for others.

Even when Forrest isn't playing well he's generally a 6 or 7 out of 10 performer but on his game he's an 8 or 9 and this season that's been pretty frequent.

The thing that Forrest is missing is a 15-20 goal season. He’s always around the 10 goal mark but for him to go to play at a higher level he needs to show he’s a regular goal threat. This season looks as though he can get there if he stays fit.

I think he’d be perfect to move into the Moffat role (when the great man retires) but I can’t see him sticking around long enough for that to be the case.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The thing that Forrest is missing is a 15-20 goal season. He’s always around the 10 goal mark but for him to go to play at a higher level he needs to show he’s a regular goal threat. This season looks as though he can get there if he stays fit.

I think he’d be perfect to move into the Moffat role (when the great man retires) but I can’t see him sticking around long enough for that to be the case.

Agree and unfortunately agree.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

It’s more to do with our lack of decent wingers which is a shame as there is nothing I love more in football than a pacey winger tearing the fullback a new arsehole. That’s why I was always desperate for us to sign Bobby Barr and Willie Gibson. 

42 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

It’s more to do with our lack of decent wingers which is a shame as there is nothing I love more in football than a pacey winger tearing the fullback a new arsehole. That’s why I was always desperate for us to sign Bobby Barr and Willie Gibson. 

I was about to say exactly that. Although the two examples you give are utter bawbags. I was thinking more along the lines of Stirling and/or Agnew (don't ever think he got a fair crack at it).

Excellent save from Ross there, Kelly also looking better and better as the match goes on and the more I see of Danny the more I think we should be calling him in ASAP and offering him a 100% wage rise for an extra 2 years on his contract.

Should Scotland qualify from this group then he'll be noticed by everyone around Europe, but even as we stand I'm sure he's already on the radar of many an English Championship club and even higher. 

Looking at how Rose is getting on at Coventry, personally I think Daniel is already above the level that Michael was when he left us, I also feel he's got even more potential both as a player and also as a leader which makes him invaluable in today's market.

Maybe the bottle of Sauv I've just tanned is clouding my judgement but then again, maybe not..................