The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Tommi_Pavlova said:

Did he not take charge when they were pretty much on their way down and manage to keep them up? Or was that when he came back as a player?

It was more of him being a player tbh. He made a rubbish manager. 

On a more serious note surprised at the amount of people especially on the SRE who are calling McCall a snake, traitor and judas.

Personally I felt he'd leave at some point in the near future but just not at this timing. However still grateful for what he's done for this club and I completely agree and understand why he's moved in.

Bit like with Shankland I don't think he should be downgraded for his success achieved with our club just because of the next career move he has decided.

On a more serious note surprised at the amount of people especially on the SRE who are calling McCall a snake, traitor and judas.

Personally I felt he'd leave at some point in the near future but just not at this timing. However still grateful for what he's done for this club and I completely agree and understand why he's moved in.

Bit like with Shankland I don't think he should be downgraded for his success achieved with our club just because of the next career move he has decided.
Only looking after his own interests quite right good luck at Thistle

Sent from my ZTE BLADE V7 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Think McCall knew if he was to ever manage at Partick again, now was the time to go.

I think he will want to get maybe 3 or 4 years out of it, then move upstairs as they say.

If he had said no, who knows when he would have got the chance again, if at all.

I don't blame the guy, it's just sad when good things come to an end.

However.

Now, one could say, that Ayr United have a 'philosophy' on how to play.

I know that it can be a dirty word to some, but we kind of do, and it kind of works.

The template is there, what we need is a manager, future managers and players, to fit in with that.

Steady the ship and keep her sailing.

41 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did anyone hear Cameron on the radio today?

Yes but I may not have heard the full thing. It was a short pre recorded interview that was very corporate. Whilst he did say the deal wasn’t technically concluded he didn’t expect any issues ironing out the compensation etc. Only interesting point I heard was there is a board meeting today to discuss our next steps

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Can’t believe can’t believe how many folk seem to want Sandy Stewart as permanent manager. Fs that’s an appointment worthy of the Shanks/Watt/Roberts era 

Utter nonsense , he is miles ahead of that mob both in man management and coaching ability , one of the best coaches we have had for a long long time 

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Utter nonsense , he is miles ahead of that mob both in man management and coaching ability , one of the best coaches we have had for a long long time 

As a coach yes, but as a manager? It’s a no from me 

if he gets the role on a full time basis then I hope he proves me wrong 

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

He was a manager for 3 seasons and his record is no worse than anyone else being mentioned , a win ratio of nearly 40%

That was a long time ago though. I'm struggling to think of many times a manager has left a club and the next manager was an internal candidate and it was a huge success. Maybe Walter Smith at the old Rangers?

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

That was a long time ago though. I'm struggling to think of many times a manager has left a club and the next manager was an internal candidate and it was a huge success. Maybe Walter Smith at the old Rangers?

Shiels took over from Mixu and got us into the top six and beat Celtic in a National Final, whilst also winning at Ibrox (admin Saturday) and Parkhead (first time since 1955) in the same year.

He ended up losing plot with MJ but he'll go down a club legend.

Williamson is another, was reserve coach under Totten. Ended up caretaker than getting job, won the Scottish Cup, got us to anther final and Europe 4 years on the spin.

Something continuity is a good thing.

And finally, Tommy Burns. Was a player under Fleeting for a year - Fleeting got bullet, Burns took over and was the catalyst for the most successful sustained period in our history.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

Obviously going way, way back but that’s how Liverpool used to operate. One guy left, and the assistant would step up and take his place.

Also see Jim Goodwin at Alloa, Neil Lennon at Celtic and even Partick Thistle with both McNamara and Archibald being promoted from within.

Can someone seriously explain why they would have someone as a Coach but NOT Manager ??

If the guy has man management skills and knows how to coach then who gives a toss about anything else ?

I'm quite sure a "coach" is quite capable of identifying players and in this day and age the contracts and financial side come from the Chairman / board as opposed to the "Manager" deciding wages etc.

As I've said, Stewart's arrival has directly coincided with our change of style and play, and that's good enough for me............