The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I'd say we're about 1,800 - 2,000 at the moment as opposed to the 900 just a couple of years back.
Rome wasn't built in a day.............
Were there 2000 home fans on Saturday? A good crowd but a big, big traveling support.

I bought into the whole 'attractive football' bringing punters back but it's been very slow progress.

Rome is quite far in the distance and we've been free scoring and (relatively) successful for 2 and a 1/2 years.

Too much damage been done over the last 10 years or so to expect lapsed fans to come back so soon. Probably need another 2 or 3 years playing at this level to expect numbers to go significantly higher. I think the only way we'd see a jump in home support is "if" we got promoted however unlikely that is.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Were there 2000 home fans on Saturday? A good crowd but a big, big traveling support.

I bought into the whole 'attractive football' bringing punters back but it's been very slow progress.

Rome is quite far in the distance and we've been free scoring and (relatively) successful for 2 and a 1/2 years.

2033 in the home end on Saturday , first time over 2,000 home fans are for a league game in a while 

Too much damage been done over the last 10 years or so to expect lapsed fans to come back so soon. Probably need another 2 or 3 years playing at this level to expect numbers to go significantly higher. I think the only way we'd see a jump in home support is "if" we got promoted however unlikely that is.
We'd definitely get a boost if we got promoted.

But in terms of being a relative big beast in the championship, we're at least 500 short on our home attendances. I'm not sure more time will do anything.

It saddens me, but I just think this is our peak attendance at this level.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I'd say there were about 1,900 - 2,000 home fans on Saturday (based on nothing other than my own observations), however when you think we've doubled our home support in under 4 years, I'd say that's major progress, especially as there's lots of other distractions for people nowadays..........

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

2033 in the home end on Saturday , first time over 2,000 home fans are for a league game in a while 

Yes, that's what I thought. The centre stand also looked full and the United section of the stand was definitely full.

I'd also hope that everyone who was there was suitably impressed to keep coming back............

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

We'd definitely get a boost if we got promoted.

But in terms of being a relative big beast in the championship, we're at least 500 short on our home attendances. I'm not sure more time will do anything.

It saddens me, but I just think this is our peak attendance at this level.

I think adding 500 on average over next 2 or 3 years playing at our current level isn't beyond the realms of reason but who knows.

11 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, that's what I thought. The centre stand also looked full and the United section of the stand was definitely full.

I'd also hope that everyone who was there was suitably impressed to keep coming back............

2033 is number of tickets scanned in total,  which were for any home area of stadium 

Edited by Robbo63

If you are comparing crowds to the good old days I think less people will go every week even with a winning team on the park. A mixture of affordability and other tv games etc mean fans are more likely to pick and choose their games

Edited by AyrExile

57 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

If you are comparing crowds to the good old days I think less people will go every week even with a winning team on the park. A mixture of affordability and other tv games etc mean fans are more likely to pick and choose their games

What were the good old days though ?

As mentioned, I've watched the club for over 30 years and in my lifetime the crowds have never been much more than we're getting right now.

Don't get me wrong, when we played Killie in the old 1st division we'd be looking at 8,000 - 10,000 at the games but the following week against Falkirk it would be back to 2,700 - 3,000.

I honestly think we're doing ok just now and if we can keep attracting the younger fans and getting the team talked about in and around the town then it augurs well for our future.........

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What were the good old days though ?

As mentioned, I've watched the club for over 30 years and in my lifetime the crowds have never been much more than we're getting right now.

Don't get me wrong, when we played Killie in the old 1st division we'd be looking at 8,000 - 10,000 at the games but the following week against Falkirk it would be back to 2,700 - 3,000.

I honestly think we're doing ok just now and if we can keep attracting the younger fans and getting the team talked about in and around the town then it augurs well for our future.........

Id have called the good old days the mid 70s or there abouts when Ally MacLeod was in charge.  We hgad even on relegation seasons such as 11,000 home gates

4 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Id have called the good old days the mid 70s or there abouts when Ally MacLeod was in charge.  We hgad even on relegation seasons such as 11,000 home gates

That's before my time !!

Times have changed right enough since then and of course the Ally effect alone was good for adding a good few hundred+ on the gate just the way he'd get so hyped up and be able to work the media. McCall's probably the closest Manager we've had to an Ally since, although still a million miles behind the "master" !!

Edited by WATTOO

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's before my time !!

Times have changed right enough since then and of course the Ally effect alone was good for adding a good few hundred+ on the gate just the way he'd get so hyped up and be able to work the media. McCall's probably the closest Manager we've had to an Ally since, although still a million miles behind the "master" !!

Id agree re Ian McCall though id add in Gordon Dalziel

That's before my time !!

Is he “a million miles behind” Ally?
Id agree re Ian McCall though id add in Gordon Dalziel

Dalziel was pish considering the money we spent at the time.

In the late 80s I'd have thought we would be getting around 3000 - 3500, probably nearer 4000 against the likes of St Johnstone who we were up against in the old Second Division.

You can talk attendances all day, what we're up against now is the years of relegation and at best stagnation, while the likes of the aforementioned Saints, Inverness, Hamilton, Ross County, our County rivals and Livingston, left us long behind and have largely become established top flight sides or in the case of County certainly have the infrastructure (ground and training facilities) in place to do so.

We sadly don't. That could be a huge bearing in McCall's decision if he's given an offer.

Id be amazed if privately he'll have an idea of the profile of team in his mind he'd leave us for. Partick would be one Id think, I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not my decision and moreso if they can get Colin Weir back onside and a general calming of the boardroom waters.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is he “a million miles behind” Ally?

Dalziel was pish considering the money we spent at the time.

Actually records show that in his 7 years at Ayr his achievement in terms of success and time span was exceed only by Ally MacLeod.  

Actually records show that in his 7 years at Ayr his achievement in terms of success and time span was exceed only by Ally MacLeod.  

I’m not doubting his “achievements”, I’m saying that for the money he spent we massively underachieved.

McCall doesn’t have anything close to the money Dalziel would’ve had and short of reaching a cup final has pretty much equaled what Dalziel did.