The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

28 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Needs to be the right one as he is only allowed 1 more loanee

Aye, I think there was a striker in England he was after though and that is not included.  That might not be until Christmas though. 

I'd leave any potential new signings until January unless someone unbelievably amazing becomes available who will definitely improve the starting eleven, as right now who would we drop, do we really need another bench warming squad player as cover ?

We've already got Roscoe, Muirhead and Ferguson as defensive cover, we've got Kerr and Doolan sitting on the bench and Moore is due back within the next couple of weeks as far as I'm aware. We've also got McGuffie and Ross when fit to come in, not to mention the youngsters such as Ecrepont.

Although short of Midfield cover we can easily play Bell in midfield if need be and bring Roscoe back in and if Jamie's not too badly injured then he can obviously play CH or CM also.

As such I'd be keeping our powder dry and give McCall time to weigh up future options and of course come The January window we'll have a far better idea of where we stand in the league and what our objectives for the season are going to be...........

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd leave any potential new signings until January unless someone unbelievably amazing becomes available who will definitely improve the starting eleven, as right now who would we drop, do we really need another bench warming squad player as cover ?

We've already got Roscoe, Muirhead and Ferguson as defensive cover, we've got Kerr and Doolan sitting on the bench and Moore is due back within the next couple of weeks as far as I'm aware. We've also got McGuffie and Ross when fit to come in, not to mention the youngsters such as Ecrepont.

Although short of Midfield cover we can easily play Bell in midfield if need be and bring Roscoe back in and if Jamie's not too badly injured then he can obviously play CH or CM also.

As such I'd be keeping our powder dry and give McCall time to weigh up future options and of course come The January window we'll have a far better idea of where we stand in the league and what our objectives for the season are going to be...........

Pretty good sensible post 

Only position I'd say we are maybe short is RB your correct we have cover in most other positions but Geggan will get injured at some point and the jury is still out in Ferguson and even then I'd argue nether of them are natural full backs, but your correct new players would be nice but tey need to be a starter not some one else to sit in the bench or stand.

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I think we need to be a bit more realistic.  Adams, Geggan and Moore are very injury prone.  In any case, Moore was desperately poor last season and didn’t look up to championship level.  Maybe he can emerge from Shankland’s shadow, and he definitely deserves one last chance.  

Ferguson remains unproven at this level - the fact that McCall keeps talking about a new right back when we have 2 on our books should probably tell us something.  No idea what Ross has to offer, but McGuffie hasn’t progressed at all and don’t see him contributing much.

Bell in midfield is a real non-starter as we saw last season when we tried it a couple of times - doesn’t have the pace anymore and I suspect the player  knows that himself.  Kerr has been a model professional for us but since last February time has looked absolutely done.

Bottom line for me is that the squad is wafer thin and I think McCall recognises that better than anyone.  A right back and a striker, as he says, would be most welcome.  

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:
4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Only position I'd say we are maybe short is RB your correct we have cover in most other positions but Geggan will get injured at some point and the jury is still out in Ferguson and even then I'd argue nether of them are natural full backs, but your correct new players would be nice but tey need to be a starter not some one else to sit in the bench or stand.

I get the feeling McCall would prefer Geggan's ever decreasing game time spent at right half . So I'd expect the new right back to be a starter if we get one ..

I get the feeling McCall would prefer Geggan's ever decreasing game time spent at right half . So I'd expect the new right back to be a starter if we get one ..

McCall spoke after the Stranraer match about not shoehorning players out of position. I don’t see how in the 4-3-3 that we’re using we can play Geggan in the wide right role. Unless we revert back to the 4-4-2.

If we’re signing a defender I’d rather he’s a player that can double up as a centre back/right back or centre back midfielder.

Likewise a striker would be nice.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

I just don't understand why we kept Ferguson.

I'm willing to give him a chance but McCall does keep mentioning RB. Have faith in him - we can't afford passengers who aren't good enough.

It's a strange one.

Bearing in mind we gave him the extension back in January so McCall was perhaps making sure we didn't lose him for nothing in the summer. 

I'd keep him just for the sake of having an extra body but I can't see him being happy at potentially being 3rd choice right back (if we sign someone) and potentially 3rd choice left back (depending on how Ecrepont does). 

19 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It's a strange one.

Bearing in mind we gave him the extension back in January so McCall was perhaps making sure we didn't lose him for nothing in the summer. 

I'd keep him just for the sake of having an extra body but I can't see him being happy at potentially being 3rd choice right back (if we sign someone) and potentially 3rd choice left back (depending on how Ecrepont does). 

Yep, disappointed for the boy, I thought he was improving just before he went out on loan last season, I'll bow to McCall's knowledge as he's been doing well with players in recent seasons.

15 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was just looking at the fixtures, noticed we’re scheduled to play Partick at home on Sat 2nd Nov. Will this be moved to the Friday as there’s one of the busy race meetings on that day at the Racecourse? 

I would say very unlikely 

Edited by Robbo63

35 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I was just looking at the fixtures, noticed we’re scheduled to play Partick at home on Sat 2nd Nov. Will this be moved to the Friday as there’s one of the busy race meetings on that day at the Racecourse? 

The first race is at 12.45pm and the last race 4.15pm so shouldn't interfere with the football traffic at all.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The first race is at 12.45pm and the last race 4.15pm so shouldn't interfere with the football traffic at all.

Yeah it was more the impact on the crowd numbers I was thinking about. I know a few guys who go to our games and the races. Hopefully they’ll chose the game to witness