The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If he takes Lewis Kidd I'll do his mum's shopping every week and pay for it out my own pocket.

It’ll be a dark day when we start signing guys that aren’t even good enough for your lot.

It’ll be a dark day when we start signing guys that aren’t even good enough for your lot.
fold the club if it gets to that stage.
If that's the case you'd have folded a long time ago: Brian Gilmour **shudder**

9 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Without getting too deep into this, I'd say that our playing style which McCall has adopted and indeed adapted in the last couple of years to suit the players at the club and to identify and bring in similar players has worked an absolute treat.

I don't know how much "data" he's using, however whatever way he's done it has proven to work so I'd actually hold up our current MO as a success story without needing to look at Brentford or their relative success. I'm also pretty sure that Cathro tried all this at Tynecastle and failed miserably.

As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat.....................

You're entitled to your opinion. All I'll say is that if you keep doing the same thing, or variations of the same thing, nothing will ultimately change. And for every Cathro I'll show you 5 Brentfords.

The use of data isn't exclusive to any other method but it does provide factual information about your team, opponents and future signings if used properly. I fail to see how that can be seen to be anything other than positive.

Anyone doubting the wisdom of using stats analysis should watch the film "Moneyball". No harm in trying it out. Clubs like Brentford willing to do things differently or pioneer an approach or to be admired.

Not sure what contracts Forrest, Murdoch, McCowan etc are on but we should be trying to get them extended into next season if we haven't already done so. For all we've done well to nurture talent like Rose, Smith, Shankland we've earned zero in transfer or sell on fees (possibly Rose excepted if he moves on) due to mostly having one year deals. I know it's the nature of the league we are in, but getting players on 18-24 month contracts must be in our interest with a view to getting some money when they move on.

Anyone doubting the wisdom of using stats analysis should watch the film "Moneyball". No harm in trying it out. Clubs like Brentford willing to do things differently or pioneer an approach or to be admired.
Not sure what contracts Forrest, Murdoch, McCowan etc are on but we should be trying to get them extended into next season if we haven't already done so. For all we've done well to nurture talent like Rose, Smith, Shankland we've earned zero in transfer or sell on fees (possibly Rose excepted if he moves on) due to mostly having one year deals. I know it's the nature of the league we are in, but getting players on 18-24 month contracts must be in our interest with a view to getting some money when they move on.

IIRC McCowan is tied up for next season but he’s the only one alongside Ecrepont.

12 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

And for every Cathro I'll show you 5 Brentfords.

To be slightly facetious, you can't use the same positive example 5 times to trump one negative example. So who are the other 4 examples from the English or Scottish lower leagues who are reaping the benefits of this apparently foolproof method.

As an aside, it isn't really the posters on here that you should be trying to convince, its McCall and his coaching staff. Who I'd probably, perhaps unfairly, class as "old school".

1 hour ago, trainspotter said:

To be slightly facetious, you can't use the same positive example 5 times to trump one negative example. So who are the other 4 examples from the English or Scottish lower leagues who are reaping the benefits of this apparently foolproof method.

As an aside, it isn't really the posters on here that you should be trying to convince, its McCall and his coaching staff. Who I'd probably, perhaps unfairly, class as "old school".

Manchester City, Arsenal, Bayern, Liverpool and most of the world's top clubs have made significant investment in this side of the game. On a more rudimentary level, everyone Sam Allardyce has managed has had to invest in their sports science department at his urging.

1 hour ago, trainspotter said:

Apart from that, McCall & Stewart's "old school" approach appears to be working very well indeed given our recent achievments in relation to our budgets.

Maybe people should be holding us up as  great model for relative success as opposed to Brentford, Brentford, Brentford..................