The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Kelly's free kick was delightful though to be fair.  Been going to Somerset for 30 odd years and can't think of many better - David Craig at the Somerset Road End around 1999 is the only one that jumps out. 

9 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Kelly's free kick was delightful though to be fair.  Been going to Somerset for 30 odd years and can't think of many better - David Craig at the Somerset Road End around 1999 is the only one that jumps out. 

Agreed it was special,the David Craig one was a midweek 6 nil against Falkirk I was there big man nailed it

7 hours ago, Iain said:

Clearly not. Based on not beating a lower league side who had to use all of the only three outfield subs they had, resulting in elimination from a competition we know we needed to progress in to release vital additional player budget. Based on failing to beat a league one team with nothing to play for and who had 72 hours less rest (and probably worked jobs as well between fixtures) despite the fact the game was vital to us and the players being well aware of that. Based on failing to win a penalty shootout that would have salvaged the situation despite being up against said knackered part timers.

If the team had anything about them they'd have found a way to get the job done one way or another today. The only sensible conclusion is that they're not going to be brilliant this year.

Hoping this is the wrongest thing I've ever said though.

Well based on looking at the previous 2 results in isolation like you’ve done with today, we’ll be absolutely fine this year. 

47 minutes ago, Hursty said:

9th I reckon.  Stranraer played midweek yet looked fitter than we did.  And we won't score many goals.  Long long season ahead.  

Hope i'm wrong....

Which of part-time Arbroath or Alloa do you expect to finish above us over the course of a 36 game season? And based on what exactly? Both of them have finished in a worse position than us in a similar standard group.

8 hours ago, rb123! said:

For the start of the season time will tell but the current squad has similarities to the last squad that got relegated from the championship wiht regards to lack of firepower upfront and Forrest being involved up top. However this squad is a lot better than that team so we should be safe (i hope), i think it'll be a struggle though  and not pretty. Predict 7/8th.

I think 7th or 8th is about right tbh. This is prepositioned on Alloa and Arbroath being below us and probably Queens battling us for 7th/8th. Unless one of the bigger clubs does a Falkirk!

I just watched the highlights. Painful viewing.

Roscoe lost his man twice and gave the Stranraer players free headers totally unchallenged. 2 goals! Thats the basics. Dare I say it, It was Higgins-esk. He needs a spell on the bench. Muirhead simply has to start against Morton. 

Edited by Trogdor

41 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Watching all of the teams involved over the last few seasons 

Denial.

Good strategy.  But if McCall’s post match interview didn’t convince you how deep in the shit we are, nothing will.  I think he knows that a team of boys and injury prone geriatrics is not a recipe for success.  Our only hope is that 2 out of Alloa, Arbroath and Queen of the South are worse than us.  

7 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Denial.

Good strategy.  But if McCall’s post match interview didn’t convince you how deep in the shit we are, nothing will.  I think he knows that a team of boys and injury prone geriatrics is not a recipe for success.  Our only hope is that 2 out of Alloa, Arbroath and Queen of the South are worse than us.  

I know exactly how much in the shit we are. I fully expect us to survive by a baw hair which is unthinkable after last season. Been saying it for weeks on here whilst everybody was all still super excited about the signings. Last week I saw a pumping from Falkirk which was averted by a refereeing decision. Fortunately we have Alloa who will struggle without Goodwin. Grant may be a decent manager but doesn’t have the lower league knowledge which gives an extra edge. Arbroath have made the best of what they have but after first nine games they will get sussed out. Full time training plus a few old heads plus McCalls wheeling n dealing will grind out just about enough for us. All in all though pathetic after last season 

Denial.

You’re reading too much into it. He looked like someone who’d just watched his team play pretty shite resulting in us exiting a cup.

He didn’t look overly concerned about the coming season.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re reading too much into it. He looked like someone who’d just watched his team play pretty shite resulting in us exiting a cup.

Iceberg you say?  No!  I see only clear blue waters.  Full steam ahead!!

1 minute ago, Mgc1910 said:

Iceberg you say?  No!  I see only clear blue waters.  Full steam ahead!!

We certainly don't have our troubles to seek , and I'd say we are way way short of where we were this time last season . Can only hope that the young players improve rapidly week on week and/or the directors stump up for the two players that McCall seeks .. Lets hope Adams is getting nearer to a return and Ross turns out to be a world beater ....

37 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I just watched the highlights. Painful viewing.

Roscoe lost his man twice and gave the Stranraer players free headers totally unchallenged. 2 goals! Thats the basics. Dare I say it, It was Higgins-esk. He needs a spell on the bench. Muirhead simply has to start against Morton. 

I'd even lay some blame for both Stranraer goals at Doohan's door, both corners very similar, to the back post and within the 6 yard box, the ball's travelled so far the keeper surely has to claim that or punch it clear. Very indecisive for me.

Reading the posts on here post match are something else though, we're relegated already, we're doomed. Come on now, there'll in all likelihood, be a drop off from last season, and the truths somewhere in the middle.

Trust in the club, trust in Mccall and the nucleus of last season's team. Mid table will do us nicely.

I agree budgeting for cup runs, if that has happened, is unwise. It used to always be in days gone past, that these were seen as a bit of a bonus.

I would still be hopeful of one player being added before the window shuts as well.

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Exactly. He’s like that each time we lose  and looks like someone who’s house has just burnt down. Even last season when we had some great results he looked broken when we lost as if he was under pressure and facing criticism. Comes across well when not talking about Ayr but different story when being asked about performances 

13 hours ago, Moonball said:

spongebob squarepants GIF

what a stupid post, the only time the Somerset end made a noise was at Ayrs two goals silence was at a premium,or at spot kicks decider, trying to put of Stranraer players. Hamill and Co experience shone through.

Exactly. He’s like that each time we lose  and looks like someone who’s house has just burnt down. Even last season when we had some great results he looked broken when we lost as if he was under pressure and facing criticism. Comes across well when not talking about Ayr but different story when being asked about performances 

Aye there’s nothing unusual about that interview. At least by his usual standards.

I think it’s very clear we’re way off of where we were a year ago but this is no surprise. We had 3 players of pretty good quality for this league in Shankland, Rose and Crawford (yes him as well) and we were never going to really replace them with similar quality. Doolan is totally different to Shankland I’m just about every way. I saw someone compare him to El Alagui a few pages back which I think is a tad unfair. If we stop playing him with Moffat and instead have guys like McGuffie, Forrest and McCowan around him he’ll get more chances. He was very unlucky to not score 2 goals yesterday.

Roscoe is pretty much what Rose was when we first signed him. Still new to the professional game with potential to get better but we’ll have to recognise he’s going to make the occasional error. I thought he was fine yesterday barring the corners but in truth no one looked comfortable at set pieces.

I like the look of Kelly though. He has the ability you’d expect from someone highly rated at a bigger club and his free kick was sublime. My only issue yesterday was he was bullied off the ball by Thomson. In fact Thomas bullied our entire midfield in the second half. This lead to McCall sticking Docherty on him but he ended being dragged way out of position and ended up out wide. I don’t think it was a conscious decision to play Docherty as a winger, but more to have him track a player that pulled him out of position.

I don’t think we’ll have a great season but I don’t see it being disastrous. If McCall can figure out a system to get the best out of our best players (Forrest, McCowan, Kelly etc) then we’ll be decent.

what a stupid post, the only time the Somerset end made a noise was at Ayrs two goals silence was at a premium,or at spot kicks decider, trying to put of Stranraer players. Hamill and Co experience shone through.

Hamill was shite. Your best player was Thomson.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hamill was shite. Your best player was Thomson.

Pleased with them all, they had a very hard game midweek, and could only field three outfield player subs, Jinky Hilton had a good game to thanks for him.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye there’s nothing unusual about that interview. At least by his usual standards.

I think it’s very clear we’re way off of where we were a year ago but this is no surprise. We had 3 players of pretty good quality for this league in Shankland, Rose and Crawford (yes him as well) and we were never going to really replace them with similar quality. Doolan is totally different to Shankland I’m just about every way. I saw someone compare him to El Alagui a few pages back which I think is a tad unfair. If we stop playing him with Moffat and instead have guys like McGuffie, Forrest and McCowan around him he’ll get more chances. He was very unlucky to not score 2 goals yesterday.

Roscoe is pretty much what Rose was when we first signed him. Still new to the professional game with potential to get better but we’ll have to recognise he’s going to make the occasional error. I thought he was fine yesterday barring the corners but in truth no one looked comfortable at set pieces.

I like the look of Kelly though. He has the ability you’d expect from someone highly rated at a bigger club and his free kick was sublime. My only issue yesterday was he was bullied off the ball by Thomson. In fact Thomas bullied our entire midfield in the second half. This lead to McCall sticking Docherty on him but he ended being dragged way out of position and ended up out wide. I don’t think it was a conscious decision to play Docherty as a winger, but more to have him track a player that pulled him out of position.

I don’t think we’ll have a great season but I don’t see it being disastrous. If McCall can figure out a system to get the best out of our best players (Forrest, McCowan, Kelly etc) then we’ll be decent.

A big problem that I see is the last two years we were making chances and scoring goals for fun. Outwith the usual suspects players like Smith , Crawford and McDaid were changing games albeit some turned up more often than others. Right now I only see Kelly and McCowan who have that potential. Whilst some of their attacking play is good they are very young and also make some big mistakes. You could maybe argue Forrest can too but how often does he play well. Perhaps Ross will turn out to be another player that can worry teams. So whilst our defence is also not looking great I’m unsure of where the creativity comes from to win games.  

Part of the problem is McCall wants to shoe horn 3 central midfielder into the midfield and if that means playing Doc or Murdoch right midfield we are going to be back in the Robbie Crawford situation very quickly, looks like Kelly is going to start most games maybe that's the agreement with rangers and so if he wants to play Kelly Murdoch Doc or Kerr in the middle we need to probably abandon the 442 and play with either a 433 or 4321 lots of stuff for McCall to think about seams silly to say on day one but a big game against Morton 3 points against a team probably fighting for the 4rd to 8th position like us would be a massive boost