Jump to content
D'Jaffo

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Recommended Posts

Take a bow Ian McCall and Sandy Stewart , another team put together on a budget and whipped into superb shape in hardly anytime at all . Our guys are always match ready for the Betfred ,woe  betide anyone who rolls up wanting to play us in pre season mode . Great that our front three and winger got among the goals and great for the defence that we got a clean sheet ..
Onto Livingston on Tuesday ,tough game ,they have had £1.1million prize money to through at an already good team but you know what , our young players will be dying to get onto their 4G in front of what may be a big Ayr support and give it a proper go . So we'll see ....

To be fair we are as fit as anyone till December January time under McCalls tenure so far tbh it’s only January onwards we struggle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Take a bow Ian McCall and Sandy Stewart , another team put together on a budget and whipped into superb shape in hardly anytime at all . Our guys are always match ready for the Betfred ,woe  betide anyone who rolls up wanting to play us in pre season mode . Great that our front three and winger got among the goals and great for the defence that we got a clean sheet ..

Onto Livingston on Tuesday ,tough game ,they have had £1.1million prize money to through at an already good team but you know what , our young players will be dying to get onto their 4G in front of what may be a big Ayr support and give it a proper go . So we'll see ....

Hope you've got cause to repeat this comment at the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Hope you've got cause to repeat this comment at the end of the year.

So do I . However we all know we'll eventually have to play on heavy fields in poor weather against teams packed with rugby players and hammer throwers . This is where we have slipped up in the past ,but eventually the fourth quarter arrives and its back to the football teams (kind of) .  We will only have a pool of around 20 players so we need lady luck to shine on us on the injury front ,but at least this year it looks like we don't have a single point of failure to worry about . Another striker in and some good work in the January window and we should be ok this season . Fantastic start anyway ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hope you've got cause to repeat this comment at the end of the year.

Think we need to rein it in a wee bit tbh. A great result today and scoring 7 goals is great for any team but it’s one game and of all the Betfred games this is the one that I was sort of expecting us to be winning quite comfortably.

I’m happy with the shape the squad is taking and I’d say if we brought another striker in we’re pretty much done. Preferably a striker with a bit of height that can hold his own against bigger centre backs and allow others to run off him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, railwayend said:

So do I . However we all know we'll eventually have to play on heavy fields in poor weather against teams packed with rugby players and hammer throwers . This is where we have slipped up in the past ,but eventually the fourth quarter arrives and its back to the football teams (kind of) .  We will only have a pool of around 20 players so we need lady luck to shine on us on the injury front ,but at least this year it looks like we don't have a single point of failure to worry about . Another striker in and some good work in the January window and we should be ok this season . Fantastic start anyway ......

We do seem to have followed a particular pattern  for the past few seasons. More than anything this season I'd like to see that monotony  broken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Meadowbank at Somerset,  late 80's/early 90's is the last seven up I remember.

1991 to be precise, pretty sure it was the same day as Ayr Gold Cup. I think the next week we won 4-3 at Cappielow with 3 goals in the last 12 minutes. 

That was our record away victory today,  had only managed 6 goal victories before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't matter the standard of the opposition. Not one little bit. To play a competitive match, away from home, first of the season and to rattle in 7 goals to no reply, it's very, very impressive.

We all could not have asked for a better start.

It is very satisfying as a supporter and really gives us all that we bit of extra optimism.

Can't wait to see how we fair against Livi.

Any result against them will be fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think we need to rein it in a wee bit tbh. A great result today and scoring 7 goals is great for any team but it’s one game and of all the Betfred games this is the one that I was sort of expecting us to be winning quite comfortably.

I’m happy with the shape the squad is taking and I’d say if we brought another striker in we’re pretty much done. Preferably a striker with a bit of height that can hold his own against bigger centre backs and allow others to run off him.

  I expected to win this match quite comfortably as well ,but the Talbot fiasco is still fresh in my mind . Shit does happen sometimes . So I'll take  7-0's away from home with five debut's every day of the week . There will be stiffer test coming up ,none more so than Livingston away . Not forgetting a very large and direct Morton team in a few weeks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should hardly even count...but thats another clean sheet for Doohan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That will be 12 wins and 1 defeat in the League Cup group stages. 39 goals for and 7 goals against (If my arithmetic is correct)

It appears we like this competition

Edited by I'm Brian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ffs some people get completely carried away and end up branded “happy clappers”.

We won 7-0 against a team freefalling from League football. Some of these pish posts and you think we’d just beat Juventus! 

Plus ‘happy clappers’ we got our arses handed to us by a Junior outfit with ex Ayr players last season.....remember that?

I’ll bite your hand off for 8th just now and anything else is a bonus..

 #taintedglasses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ffs some people get completely carried away and end up branded “happy clappers”.
We won 7-0 against a team freefalling from League football. Some of these pish posts and you think we’d just beat Juventus! 
Plus ‘happy clappers’ we got our arses handed to us by a Junior outfit with ex Ayr players last season.....remember that?
I’ll bite your hand off for 8th just now and anything else is a bonus..
 #taintedglasses
You ok champ?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Panda Pies said:
20 minutes ago, Waniche said:

 

You ok champ?!?

I’m ok mate. Just hate it when some posts are doom and gloom.......then all of a sudden everybody is happy! Been an Ayr fan for 30 odd years and even I had an element of doubt going yesterday! However, holy [email protected] am I happy when proved wrong!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Waniche said:

I’m ok mate. Just hate it when some posts are doom and gloom.......then all of a sudden everybody is happy! Been an Ayr fan for 30 odd years and even I had an element of doubt going yesterday! However, holy [email protected] am I happy when proved wrong!!

 A record away win in the League Cup isn't too bad a way to start the season . Everybody had doubts , some may still do . However the calibre of the three loans McCall has got in raises the expectation levels somewhat . Just a pity the Talbot don't get a shot in this competition for they aren't much better than Berwick and would have fell in the same manner . The league will be tough but I think we are now equipped to finish above Alloa , Arbroath and QoS at least but I guess time will tell .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Waniche said:

Ffs some people get completely carried away and end up branded “happy clappers”.

We won 7-0 against a team freefalling from League football. Some of these pish posts and you think we’d just beat Juventus! 

Plus ‘happy clappers’ we got our arses handed to us by a Junior outfit with ex Ayr players last season.....remember that?

I’ll bite your hand off for 8th just now and anything else is a bonus..

 #taintedglasses

AA16C305-CE2C-42DF-8018-B1659133BA07.gif.e7b7431e93c72e152cef0b2102445683.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not getting carried away with yesterday's result but some really good signs, McCowan looks like he could be a star full of energy and and knows the road to goal, Moff looks on fire and a budding partnership with Doohan who takes up great positions if he gets the correct service will score his fair share, McGuffie had a great game beating the full back for fun and delivering some really dangerous balls and took his goal really well, Young Kelly Iooked to have a excellent range of passing I'm excited to see him and Murdoch in the same team, Roscoe didn't seam to have much to do but a clean sheet will do him good, Doohan is the best keeper in this league! and we have still IMO our best midfielder in Murdoch to come in along with Ross and Forrest who I think will make big impacts great start to the season and hopefully good times to come again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another note re a post made a week ago, Conway will play for Ayr again one day, he told me he’s got unfinished business. However he said he’s got 2 more years EFL championship/League 1 left in him. Then maybe.....

Notice of intent by Dundee Utd tho offering him terms, a lot more than Shankland is getting.....about 3x more and he laughed at it. They are out to win the league and chucking money at it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Waniche said:

I’m ok mate. Just hate it when some posts are doom and gloom.......then all of a sudden everybody is happy! Been an Ayr fan for 30 odd years and even I had an element of doubt going yesterday! However, holy [email protected] am I happy when proved wrong!!

Unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast, as Ayr fans we should all know that another Talbot is lurking never too far away, so I suppose we shouldn't blame folks for celebrating a 7-0 away victory, even if it is against a side who've just been relegated out of the league.

Irrespective, it's a great confidence booster for our new look side and the added bonus is Doolan getting off the mark on his competitive debut and also the linking up of Moffat, Doolan, McCowan and McGuffie, which with Forrest and Ross still to come in confirms we've got options.

It's all good..................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Should hardly even count...but thats another clean sheet for Doohan
Was the record he was close to hitting last year for league clean sheets or clean sheets in all comps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...