The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Miller's greatest asset was his pace and that'll have long since left the building. I don't mind us signing guys that age if they have a good football brain but that was never his forte.

Aye this

Moffat for example has far more to offer footballing wise. Miller was quick and was always a hard grafter but at close to 40 he can’t be doing that.

I can’t say I’ve seen much of Doolan except from his goals on YouTube but I don’t see him as someone who’ll be chasing down defenders but get the ball to him in the box and he’ll score a decent amount of goals.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye this

Moffat for example has far more to offer footballing wise. Miller was quick and was always a hard grafter but at close to 40 he can’t be doing that.

I can’t say I’ve seen much of Doolan except from his goals on YouTube but I don’t see him as someone who’ll be chasing down defenders but get the ball to him in the box and he’ll score a decent amount of goals.

Doolan does a great deal of defensive work, part of the reason that he never quite turned into a 20 goal a season striker was that he wasn't in the box as much as he could have been- the other part being that every manager also tried someone else up front, even in our promotion season he split duties with Steven Craig. He also was never the quickest so doesn't really have pace to lose.

Miller I think (unfortunately) is coming to us.  

Doolan does a great deal of defensive work, part of the reason that he never quite turned into a 20 goal a season striker was that he wasn't in the box as much as he could have been- the other part being that every manager also tried someone else up front, even in our promotion season he split duties with Steven Craig. He also was never the quickest so doesn't really have pace to lose.
Miller I think (unfortunately) is coming to us.  

Cheers I dunno why but I always viewed him as a poacher type but I’ve heard McCall praise him for being very good technically and said he had the best touch of any striker he’s worked with.

When he's on form his first touch is brilliant, his "signature" goal was the first touch to buy space and send the defender the wrong way, then finish with the second. Last season that seemed to have gone, I was in the camp that at 32 he still had plenty to offer and in a winning team would pick up again but I can see the other side  which is obviously where Caldwell stands as well.

Since someone else has posted above, the second goal at 1.39 in is pretty much the sort of goal I'm talking about, albeit it's 3 touches rather than 2.

First goal in this video as well

possibly 2 , if everything materialises 3 

I’d rather have our squad complete for the betfred games starting but I suppose I’d accept three more signing before they start and three signings during the groupstages/before the league kicks off.

I’d rather have our squad complete for the betfred games starting but I suppose I’d accept three more signing before they start and three signings during the groupstages/before the league kicks off.
Has our squad ever been complete before season start. Got to leave space for the January window too

Has our squad ever been complete before season start. Got to leave space for the January window too

In the 4 full seasons McCall has been here we’ve added at least 1 player after the first league game.

15/16 - Preston (loan) and Graham
16/17 - Harkins, Balatoni
17/18 - Shankland
18/19 - Smith

In all those seasons we’ve also made at least 2 January signings with 1 usually departing.

In the 4 full seasons McCall has been here we’ve added at least 1 player after the first league game.

15/16 - Preston (loan) and Graham
16/17 - Harkins, Balatoni
17/18 - Shankland
18/19 - Smith

In all those seasons we’ve also made at least 2 January signings with 1 usually departing.
State of 16/17. It really was the fucking pits.

State of 16/17. It really was the fucking pits.

Sad thing is they were our best 2 signings (on paper).

Had we actually legs in our team to compliment them instead of Cairney, Meggat, El Alagui or O’Connell (sorry itzdrk) we might’ve been marginally better.

People keep going on about having no strikers but I was more annoyed we had Harkins and Gilmour as our 2 wingers with an untested McGuffie as back up.