The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

I agree everytime I see one of the Dundee clubs announce a signing I'm praying it's not him.

They have zero chance. None.

Even if he stays in Scotland both Edinburgh sides have apparently approached him, and if it's a choice between Edinburgh or Dundee teams, it's a no brainer.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

The bigger and better supported teams have more money to do up their stadiums in the first place. It’s a bit of a leap in itself to say that seats attract more fans - just need to look at Hamilton and Livi.

Not really, the majority of them weren't better supported and didn't have money, however they either got the old grants post taylor report or they hit the jackpot at the height of the economic cycle and were able to sell their old grounds for fortunes to supermarket chains or housebuilders.

I'm afraid we missed the boat on that one............

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Not really, the majority of them weren't better supported and didn't have money, however they either got the old grants post taylor report or they hit the jackpot at the height of the economic cycle and were able to sell their old grounds for fortunes to supermarket chains or housebuilders.

I'm afraid we missed the boat on that one............

Nah not buying it.

Last season 18 teams in the country got higher attendances than us: Celtic, Rangers, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts, St Johnstone, Motherwell, Livi, Hamilton, St Mirren, Dundee, Ross County, Dundee United, ICT, Partick Thistle, Dunfermline and Falkirk.

All of them have all seater stadia but the only clubs there that weren’t historically better supported than Ayr are Livi, Hamilton, Ross County and ICT. Livi and Hamilton both had lower home supports than us and just benefited from bigger away crowds (plus Livi are a bit of an anomaly since they’ve only been around in their current guise since the 90s). Ross County and ICT are also a different kettle of fish considering neither joined the big leagues until the 90s, both have much wider catchment areas than Ayr (particularly County) and County are essentially a millionaire’s plaything.

There is not a single club getting larger attendances than Ayr where you could say it’s down to them having a more modern stadium.

Kris Doolan was a Celtic fan as a kid. He's obviously from Kilmarnock but I doubt either will have much influence apart from he'd be a short commute to Ayr.

Hopefully McCall can help him get back to form. 

Are there attendance stats available that only show home crowds?  Would be interesting to see the first half v second half comparison for home fan only to see what the actual drop was once we turned a bit pish.   Early season we had Partick bringing over 1000 on the opening day and pretty big crowds from Dunfermline and Dundee Utd that i don't think were anywhere near as big when they came later in the season. 

7 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Are there attendance stats available that only show home crowds?  Would be interesting to see the first half v second half comparison for home fan only to see what the actual drop was once we turned a bit pish.   Early season we had Partick bringing over 1000 on the opening day and pretty big crowds from Dunfermline and Dundee Utd that i don't think were anywhere near as big when they came later in the season. 

Thistle brought about a thousand for the midweek game at the end of the season too. 

36 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Thistle brought about a thousand for the midweek game at the end of the season too. 

Fair enough - maybe seemed bigger on the opening day as I was in the town for a few beers pre game and Thistle fans were everywhere - made an impression after the season in League One where most of the time you couldn't spot an away fan if your life depended on it!   Tam o Shanter beer garden was jumping!

14 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Let me guess, he was wearing shorts with the Partick badge, grey Ayr hoodie and brown crocs?

Sounds like my kind of man.

12 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Ross County and ICT are also a different kettle of fish considering neither joined the big leagues until the 90s, both have much wider catchment areas than Ayr (particularly County) and County are essentially a millionaire’s plaything.

There is not a single club getting larger attendances than Ayr where you could say it’s down to them having a more modern stadium.

I'm very sceptical that the attendances reported by Ross County and Inverness accurately reflect the number of people who actually come through the turnstiles. I've heard it said that Ross County issue loads of tickets to local schools and then count them, whether they are used or not.

It'll be interesting to see whether there is any difference in our crowds now that tickets will be scanned and computers will be counting, rather than staff recording with a five bar gate.

I'm very sceptical that the attendances reported by Ross County and Inverness accurately reflect the number of people who actually come through the turnstiles. I've heard it said that Ross County issue loads of tickets to local schools and then count them, whether they are used or not.
It'll be interesting to see whether there is any difference in our crowds now that tickets will be scanned and computers will be counting, rather than staff recording with a five bar gate.

What advantage is there to them in exaggerating the attendance figures?

7 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

It spins a better message.

31 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I have no idea. Maybe it's ego like the Old Firm, who count season tickets in their attendances even when they haven't been used. If you've ever been to the grounds formerly known as Victoria Park and Caledonian Stadium you'll know what I mean when I suggest they over report.