The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

According to someone on the SRE there could be a signing today, get a feeling he was hinting towards Doolan.

Swap the lan for han and I'd be ecstatic !!!

So the height of your ambition is to finish 8th and presumably be the worst full time team in the league? Superb. 

The ambition should be to finish as high as possible, consolidate ourselves as an established Championship team and become as self sufficient as possible. That was the aim when McCall was appointed and I see no reason to re-evaluate expectations.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The ambition should be to finish as high as possible, consolidate ourselves as an established Championship team and become as self sufficient as possible. That was the aim when McCall was appointed and I see no reason to re-evaluate expectations.

Having watched Ayr regularly for over 30 years and having been a season ticket holder for most of that time, I've honestly never been one to expect too much as I'm well aware of our limitations with regards to our finances, our support levels and of course the difficulty of retaining and signing players post Bosman.

Like most fans It's a day out on a Saturday where we turn up at Somerset in hope rather than expectation, all we ask is for a bit of entertainment and playing the game in "the right way". We don't and never have done expected to win every game but at the same time we do expect maximum effort from the players and a good attacking style of play to entertain us. I never forget the words of super Ally when he talked about football being for the fans and providing entertainment being the sole purpose of footballers and as such it's why we always hope to see wingers such as Henry Templeton or Gary Teale or ball players such as an Alain Horace etc. Thinking back, we didn't have massive budgets when wee Henry was playing or when Alain Horace was entertaining us in the 3rd tier, however these are the players we all love and remember because they had that x factor where they could get you up off your seat.

Who's to say we're not going to be talking about Luke McCowan in years to come ??

Anyway, I've been guilty of this myself recently but we all know football's not about budgets or players wages etc, otherwise Falkirk would probably have been promoted along with Dundee Utd and of course Ayr and Alloa might have found themselves back in league 1 next season. 

We can all speculate but nobody knows how it will all pan out once the season starts. We may have new editions who don't seem much on paper but they may turn out like another Lawrence Shankland or Michael Rose or even better. They may not be much in their own right but they may form great partnerships with our current players, who knows ??

That's exactly why Football is so entertaining and why I can't get a bloody coupon up, because come that whistle at 3pm on a Saturday, NOBODY knows what's going to happen and as I say that's why we'll all be turning up again at Somerset come the new season always in hope and rarely in expectation................

59 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

With the current squad I can’t see anything other than relegation.

Agree but the squad isn't the finished article. We're going to make 6 quality additions. Trust Uncle Ian to lead us forward! 

Don’t get this at all

crowds up must have made more money

commercial take over of hospitality must have money

league cup takings from rangers outweighing Scottish cup defeat which also had tv and a good crowd must have made money

lost top earners at the club must have saved money

500 club putting more in than last year must have made money

WHY DO WE NOTHAVE ABETTER BUDGET

Don’t get this at all
crowds up must have made more money
commercial take over of hospitality must have money
league cup takings from rangers outweighing Scottish cup defeat which also had tv and a good crowd must have made money
lost top earners at the club must have saved money
500 club putting more in than last year must have made money
WHY DO WE NOTHAVE ABETTER BUDGET

The league cup takings from Rangers won’t have outweighed the Scottish cup defeat.

It’s not hard to understand at all tbh.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The league cup takings from Rangers won’t have outweighed the Scottish cup defeat.

You got proof either way of this or you just happy clapping? 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I'd be astonished if they didn't to be honest.

There might be any number of reasons why your budget is down (if it really is) but the League Cup run making less than a potential Scottish Cup run isn't one of them.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Not really interested but there's no way we were budgeting for beating Talbot, might have hoped or even expected to beat them but there's no way Ayr United are budgeting on imponderables, you budget for defeat then increase as you go surely.

You got proof either way of this or you just happy clapping? 

I don’t think disagreeing with those who are getting themselves in a state despite the fact that the situation has been clearly spelt out to them makes me a “happy clapper” but fire on if it makes you happy.

Cameron claims that we lost out on close to 100K due to the Auchinleck shambles. I doubt we would’ve made that in a game against Rangers that wasn’t even televised.

I don't really buy the whole 'crowds were up from the previous season so this years budget should be higher' argument either.   Last seasons budget will have been set at a higher level than the 2017/18 one based in part on an assumption that the crowds would increase due to going up a league.  So the only reason the budget would go up again based on crowds was if the actual crowds were significantly higher than what was budgeted for.  Which considering the crowds were pretty pish even though we were flying (all the Friday night games etc not helping) i'd seriously doubt was the case.