The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Tbf even if we don’t get Doolan, McCall said in his interview he had many targets in mind but they will only sign if they accept what we’re offering them. I don’t think Doolan was the be all and end all of our striker targets.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Tbf even if we don’t get Doolan, McCall said in his interview he had many targets in mind but they will only sign if they accept what we’re offering them. I don’t think Doolan was the be all and end all of our striker targets.

That comment did concern me, again suggested we are paying peanuts. 

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

What I'm not getting is that the likes of Morton, Dunfermline & Inverness are all supposedly having financial issues and were all on record as "cutting their budget", yet all seem to be signing players without any issues.

On the other hand, we've lost all our top earners and are on the back of a good season with increased gates, sponsorship, prize money, TV money and the share of a good gate from Ibrox, yet the word coming out from the club seems to be that the budget has dramatically reduced following our promotion season from League 1 which I find rather strange ??

I don't know if this is all just "talk" on here or whether we are indeed struggling to match the average pay for a Scottish Championship club ??

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one minute suggesting we could or indeed should try and match clubs like Dundee and Dundee Utd, however I'd be hoping that there is money available, given that we've lost Shankland, Crawford, Rose, Smith & McDaid (all our highest earners) plus allegedly re-signed some players on reduced wages ???

Or just offering wages in line with what a club the size of Ayr can offer, which won’t be great sums of money anyway. I’m not keen on the idea of us breaking the bank to sign Kris Doolan.

What I'm not getting is that the likes of Morton, Dunfermline & Inverness are all supposedly having financial issues and were all on record as "cutting their budget", yet all seem to be signing players without any issues.
On the other hand, we've lost all our top earners and are on the back of a good season with increased gates, sponsorship, prize money, TV money and the share of a good gate from Ibrox, yet the word coming out from the club seems to be that the budget has dramatically reduced following our promotion season from League 1 which I find rather strange ??
I don't know if this is all just "talk" on here or whether we are indeed struggling to match the average pay for a Scottish Championship club ??
Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one minute suggesting we could or indeed should try and match clubs like Dundee and Dundee Utd, however I'd be hoping that there is money available, given that we've lost Shankland, Crawford, Rose, Smith & McDaid (all our highest earners) plus allegedly re-signed some players on reduced wages ???

Dunfermline have just sold Longridge to Bradford so they’ll have made a bit of money off that. Also the guys they’re signing from League 1 won’t be on high wages.

Inverness haven’t signed anyone since the end of the season and have also managed to offload a goalkeeper who was apparently on an excessively large wage.

There has been absolutely no evidence that we’ve cut our budget. The panic only came from reports that we’d offered Moffat, Geggan and Bell lower wages. That’s pretty common when the player being offered terms will have a lesser squad role.

In terms of the budget it is easy to jump straight in and think we've slashed it. My understanding was that contracts were offered with revised terms depending on how McCall viewed their potential contribution over the season. So guys who were key players may now be viewed as squad players due to injuries and advancing years.

With guys like Shankland away this opens up the door to potentially offering better terms to the right experienced players, at the same time it would make no sense for McCall to talk up his budget as players would then reject the magnificent contracts we offer hoping to hold out for more money. 

Edited by Hawk89

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dunfermline have just sold Longridge to Bradford so they’ll have made a bit of money off that. Also the guys they’re signing from League 1 won’t be on high wages.

Inverness haven’t signed anyone since the end of the season and have also managed to offload a goalkeeper who was apparently on an excessively large wage.

There has been absolutely no evidence that we’ve cut our budget. The panic only came from reports that we’d offered Moffat, Geggan and Bell lower wages. That’s pretty common when the player being offered terms will have a lesser squad role.

That's fair enough then, I also agree that I wouldn't be breaking the bank to sign a 32 year old who couldn't get in a team which were nearly relegated last season.

As I've probably mentioned before, staying in North Ayrshire and working in Glasgow, the only "gossip" I tend to hear is either what I'm reading on here or from time to time tip offs from acquaintances which don't always prove to be correct.

I just remember reading lots of negativity surrounding our apparent budget for this season but as said by you and others, this may just be idle gossip or even a negotiating strategy by the club.

Being completely honest, I don't think we're a million miles away with our current squad, however we do definitely need as priorities an experienced or highly promising Goalkeeper, Midfield playmaker, at least one striker but probably two and possibly a winger although McCowan, McGuffie and Forrest can all play out there if need be.

That's fair enough then, I also agree that I wouldn't be breaking the bank to sign a 32 year old who couldn't get in a team which were nearly relegated last season.
As I've probably mentioned before, staying in North Ayrshire and working in Glasgow, the only "gossip" I tend to hear is either what I'm reading on here or from time to time tip offs from acquaintances which don't always prove to be correct.
I just remember reading lots of negativity surrounding our apparent budget for this season but as said by you and others, this may just be idle gossip or even a negotiating strategy by the club.
Being completely honest, I don't think we're a million miles away with our current squad, however we do definitely need as priorities an experienced or highly promising Goalkeeper, Midfield playmaker, at least one striker but probably two and possibly a winger although McCowan, McGuffie and Forrest can all play out there if need be.

We’re not far off a finished squad. Looking at QOTS they’ve apparently got 14 players on trial this week.

44 minutes ago, Panda Pies said:
3 hours ago, malkyshotton said:
Season ticket bought online. Dead easy.

Did you get a confirmation email? There having issues with online payments going through.

Only taken a couple of hours for it to go tits up.