The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 minutes ago, fatdoug1938 said:

Higgins joins EF on loan. What should we expect?!

Has hardly played due to bad luck with injury and other defenders improving. Really needs a run of games to see where he’s at. He will be good enough for league 1 but still reckon he can surprise a few and fight for his place back 

Edited by AyrExile

He will do a job for you, he's not too far off being good enough for a top of the Championship side

Edited by ayrmad

I like Higgins, but I’d say he’s a fair bit off top of the Championship standard. He struggled against Talbot.
That's one game, and he was just back from injury.

I reckon he could still do a very good job for us, if he got match fitness back.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I like Higgins, but I’d say he’s a fair bit off top of the Championship standard. He struggled against Talbot.

I could replace Higgy for most of our defenders in your post.

I think people are forgetting how poor Higgins was capable of being last season. Whether that was because none of our defenders had any faith in our goalie or he just didn’t play well with Rose but he was prone to an error or two.

He had good games as well but I’d be surprised if we see him in an Ayr shirt next season. You could add Bell and Adams to that list as well.

13 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's one game, and he was just back from injury.

I reckon he could still do a very good job for us, if he got match fitness back.

As I say, I like him, but he is not top of the championship standard (as evidenced by only playing at that level for about 20 games halfway through his career).

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think people are forgetting how poor Higgins was capable of being last season. Whether that was because none of our defenders had any faith in our goalie or he just didn’t play well with Rose but he was prone to an error or two.

He had good games as well but I’d be surprised if we see him in an Ayr shirt next season. You could add Bell and Adams to that list as well.

I suppose it all depends on budgets and who we can persuade to sign or re-sign.

We're losing Rose, Shankland, most probably Smith, Doohan and Miller may be back at Celtic, Murdoch will be a wanted man, Kerr will be another year older, Forrest ??, Moore ,Crawford & McDaid unsure about, which all adds up to a big rebuilding job whatever happens.

I suppose it all depends on budgets and who we can persuade to sign or re-sign.
We're losing Rose, Shankland, most probably Smith, Doohan and Miller may be back at Celtic, Murdoch will be a wanted man, Kerr will be another year older, Forrest ??, Moore ,Crawford & McDaid unsure about, which all adds up to a big rebuilding job whatever happens.

We’re definitely losing Shankland, Smith and Rose. If we stay down then we should be asking about the possibility of getting Doohan and Miller back. I don’t think McDaid, Crawford and Forrest have done enough to attract attention from bigger clubs. I’d be keeping Moffat and Kerr for another year but I’d say Geggan, Bell and Adams will likely leave. Murdoch had done well at Morton but we didn’t seem to have any competition in getting him so we may get lucky and get him for another year.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

You must be forgetting how bad Rose was at times until Bell steadied the ship. Look how he has turned it around and earned a good move. Age and injury might have caught up with Higgins but not writing off anyone based on last seasons defending. Many of Hart’s errors were catastrophic and made the defence look worse than it was  

You must be forgetting how bad Rose was at times until Bell steadied the ship. Look how he has turned it around and earned a good move. Age and injury might have caught up with Higgins but not writing off anyone based on last seasons defending. Many of Hart’s errors were catastrophic and made the defence look worse than it was  

Rose was comfortably better than Higgins last season even before Bell turned up.

Higgins has done ok in most games this season barring Talbot away but he’s not a Championship defender anymore.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Rose was comfortably better than Higgins last season even before Bell turned up.

Higgins has done ok in most games this season barring Talbot away but he’s not a Championship defender anymore.

Perhaps Rose’s excellent performances this season have clouded the memories of last year. If Higgins has been ok playing for a top of the league team then see no reason why he wouldn’t be able to get a game for one nearer the bottom 

Perhaps Rose’s excellent performances this season have clouded the memories of last year. If Higgins has been ok playing for a top of the league team then see no reason why he wouldn’t be able to get a game for one nearer the bottom 

He’s only played a full 90 minutes twice this season against junior opposition. He did ok when brought on against Ross County and ICT but should a couple of sporadic appearances justify him being given a new contract?

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s only played a full 90 minutes twice this season against junior opposition. He did ok when brought on against Ross County and ICT but should a couple of sporadic appearances justify him being given a new contract?

He needs a run of games and loaning him out should get that. With Rose leaving and doubts over others then centre half will be an area we need to strengthen. If he does well at East Fife then I would offer him a short deal. Better to have some familiar faces in the squad as next season we will need a lot of new players who won’t all settle quickly 

He needs a run of games and loaning him out should get that. With Rose leaving and doubts over others then centre half will be an area we need to strengthen. If he does well at East Fife then I would offer him a short deal. Better to have some familiar faces in the squad as next season we will need a lot of new players who won’t all settle quickly 
He's also a good squad guy, from what I hear. That's often overlooked in football, but I think McCall will know if he's good enough to keep on.

Was impressed with Falkirk tonight, were well organised defensively and dangerous going forward.

Doesn't bode well for our lack of ability to break teams down, hope we put those doubts to bed next Friday night.

Think it’s quite clear that regardless of what league we’re in we’ll have lots of players leaving in the summer. 

Signed up we have: David Ferguson, Ross Docherty, Aaron Muirhead, Craig McGuffie, Daniel Harvie and Finn Ecrepont. 

Michael Rose is confirmed leaving while Lawrence Shankland and Liam Smith will almost certainly follow. 

Regardless of what division we are in I’d like to see new deals offered to Andy Murdoch, Alan Forrest, Robbie Crawford, Michael Moffat and Declan McDaid. 

If we stay down I wouldn’t be against the likes of Andy Geggan, Craig Moore and Stevie Bell staying as back up. 

The rest I either haven’t seen enough of or would let go.

Friday nights without football to look forward to the next day eh. 

It’ll be one hell of a rebuilding job McCall has on his hands in the summer. Realistically we won’t replace Shankland, Rose or Smith with players of similar quality so I’d expect next season to be a hard slog regardless of what division we’re in.

If we don’t go up we’ll really find out if McCall can build a team capable of keeping us in the division and settle us in this league. Obviously he failed to do so when we were part time but I’d expect he’ll be able to do better now we’re full time.

For now I’ll just enjoy the next few months and see how the play offs pan out before our dreaded summer of teams trying to poach our best players.

Was impressed with Falkirk tonight, were well organised defensively and dangerous going forward.

Doesn't bode well for our lack of ability to break teams down, hope we put those doubts to bed next Friday night.

From what I’ve seen of Miller I think his final ball will be crucial if we want to break teams down. Would rather take his man on than turn back and pass to the full back which is encouraging.