The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Well that’s the title gone and it’s now time to focus on getting our earlier season form back and ensure we go into the playoffs high on confidence.

I’d say the top two is probably beyond us now and 3rd is the best we can hope for which means we will need to play six playoff games if we want to reach the premiership which is a massive ask but we can still dream. 

Based on tonight Kerr must start when fit, he came on and changed the game instantly. Miller also should be starting every game for me. Looked pretty lively again tonight. We really need to be going at teams. Two direct wingers (McDaid and Miller) running at the fullbacks and two slightly more defensively minded midfielders (Murdoch and Kerr) in the middle. 

The next four games are crucial to our season, all bottom half of the league teams.

Falkirk (A)

Partick (H)

Queen of the South (H) 

Morton (H)

Win all of these and we might still be in with a chance at the top going into the final month of the season, stutter through them and we could be in the real shits for even making the play-offs. We just need back to back wins to get some sort of momentum going which is our main struggle at the moment, unbelievably the last time we recorded back to back wins was the 30th October - 3rd November, wow, we really have been shite for about half the season.

Tonight has only confirmed for me that Kerr is our best midfielder. I can’t actually remember the last time he played (forgetting his short return vs Falkirk) but it’s been too long.

He may have given away a stupid free kick that lead to the third goal. But his range of passing helped Shankland, Moffat and Miller really grow into the game.

When he’s fit he’s got to start and with Murdoch alongside him who’s capable to do enough running for both of them. Put McDaid and Miller either side of them and see where end up.

Did Kerr give the free kick away for the third? I'm pretty sure he gave the ball away badly for the second as well.

I think too often this season we've tried to find excuses for the results (shankland out, kerr out, Adams out, Forrest out) - when actually it was never just one factor.

After we hammered United (deadly on the break), teams paid us loads of respect.

Arguably we were found out, and just couldn't respond. A lot of the games we easily could've won but we didn't score at the right time, or made crucial errors.

Confidence slips away, and now we're up against it.

The big hope is that McCall finds a way to get a couple of wins on the bounce from somewhere (anywhere). Last season we went on great run, but quite often it was confidence rather than outstanding football. It's obviously far more difficult at this level. But it was great to see us streaming forward in the second half, full of spirit.

Time to dig deep, Ayr.

As usual Crawford looked much better in the middle, but it is frustrating how McCall insists on shoehorning three central midfielders into a formation that only has space for two. Wish he would play wide players wide and central players central and if that gives him a selection headache then he's well compensated for the extra stress.

The last game Mark Kerr started was on the 17th November against Morton. After that game we were 5 points clear at the top

On the whole our form has been absolutely honking since then. Last night when he came on we looked like the team that was top of the league.

Coincidence?

Well that’s the title gone and it’s now time to focus on getting our earlier season form back and ensure we go into the playoffs high on confidence.

I’d say the top two is probably beyond us now and 3rd is the best we can hope for which means we will need to play six playoff games if we want to reach the premiership which is a massive ask but we can still dream. 

Based on tonight Kerr must start when fit, he came on and changed the game instantly. Miller also should be starting every game for me. Looked pretty lively again tonight. We really need to be going at teams. Two direct wingers (McDaid and Miller) running at the fullbacks and two slightly more defensively minded midfielders (Murdoch and Kerr) in the middle.     

Got to agree with this !!

If we could get that midfield playing consistently and sort our defence out(shocking last night) but have been fairly decent all season, then there should be no reason why we can't get second, DU are no great shakes, if McCall gets his act together and puts out a decent settled team we'll be second, also McKay will be a big loss to County who've to come to Somerset and they'll be pressure on them at the top, they should do it I would expect, but lets keep working away and see what happens.

On 25/02/2019 at 22:50, ayrunitedfw said:

Someone back me up here, having an argument with my mate. I remember a couple of seasons ago the burger van between SRE and North Terracing did donner meat but he’s saying this never happend. Someone please confirm they also remember this. 

I'm in Liverpool so cannot comment on the game. I can, however, confirm that donner meat was served at Somerset. Had it a couple of times, it was ok.

I'm going to put a slightly different slant on our current form and performances, basically I'd say we are performing as a mid table sort of team where we outplay Morton away but can't make the breakthrough but still comfortably take a point, we then play a big spending Dunfermline side at home in a terrible match with nothing between the teams, however we ultimately succumb to a pretty innocuous penalty decision, other than that we get an away win against the only part time team in the league and then travel to the League leaders and favs for the league and while we rode our luck at times, again we only get beaten by the odd goal in a very open and entertaining game which could actually have gone either way in the end.

What I'm trying to say is it's not "terrible" / "dreadful" / "shocking" etc, it's pretty much in line, if not above, the expectations which most of us would have had at the start of the season.

It is without doubt "disappointing", given our early season form, however I still really fancy us to secure a play off place and after that, who knows, anything could happen.

Let's be honest, the Ayr teams of recent seasons would be travelling to Dingwall expecting and probably getting a 4-0 skelping with no answers and we'd be worrying about whether it was automatic relegation or a 2 leg humping by an East Fife, Raith or Airdrie.

If we're all being honest, this season was looking like us trying to compete with the likes of Alloa, QOS, and Morton for 8th place and just hoping that we could sneak another year up here and get some much needed consolidation, in reality it's been a season beyond our wildest dreams and whatever happens from here it will still have been our most successful season in years.

So, I'm not attempting to "happy clap",  but just give a dose of reality and hope that we can all stay behind our team and get us a play off spot and at least then we can give it a real go........

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Let's be honest, the Ayr teams of recent seasons would be travelling to Dingwall expecting and probably getting a 4-0 skelping with no answers and we'd be worrying about whether it was automatic relegation or a 2 leg humping by an East Fife, Raith or Airdrie.

Highlands away used to be a thing of nightmares for us......well to be fair Highlands at home as well. Agree with you that this team has burst all expectations, the problem is the bar has now been set and the level of expectation has adjusted. Most would have bitten your hand off for a finish between P5-8 in July. 

Green shoots started to appear in the second half last night with Kerr coming on and spraying hollywood passes (in a non Chris Aitken sense, actually with intended targets) about like it was no mans business. Really opened up the game and brought the team to life. Would like to think he'll be first on the teamsheet with the headache of who partners him at CM. 

Was a big fan of Itzdrk's suggested 352 as Miller showed a couple of flashes of brilliance last night but couldn't really get going until Kerr was deployed.  We just need County to start using a cringe worthy hashtag now.....

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Highlands away used to be a thing of nightmares for us......well to be fair Highlands at home as well. Agree with you that this team has burst all expectations, the problem is the bar has now been set and the level of expectation has adjusted. Most would have bitten your hand off for a finish between P5-8 in July. 

Green shoots started to appear in the second half last night with Kerr coming on and spraying hollywood passes (in a non Chris Aitken sense, actually with intended targets) about like it was no mans business. Really opened up the game and brought the team to life. Would like to think he'll be first on the teamsheet with the headache of who partners him at CM. 

Was a big fan of Itzdrk's suggested 352 as Miller showed a couple of flashes of brilliance last night but couldn't really get going until Kerr was deployed.  We just need County to start using a cringe worthy hashtag now.....

Yes, we've really missed Kerr, as while Doc & Murdoch put in a great shift and do a good job for the team, they don't have the passing ability and vision of Mark Kerr. I also agree that Miller should be a certain starter as the boy looks class.

Where the selection issues really step up is central defence as do we go with Rose & Bell or Rose & Muirhead or Muirhead & Bell or Adams & Bell or Muirhead & Adams !! It's a tough one. I like Bell & Rose for their passing ability from defence but Muirhead has looked really good since he's come in and I also like big Jamie as well plus we've even got Higgins kicking around in the background, although I think his best days are now behind him.

Aah, decisions, decisions....................

I think Rose may need dropping for a while - to get his head straight again. Muirhead and Bell looks a decent partnership. That said, we also need a settled CB pair. - any other positions you can rotate but CB?  I prefer Adams at defensive midfield when we have something to defend and see a game out.

Always been a big fan of Kerr, only when he'll be facing pace everywhere might I drop him to the bench. Kerr and Murdoch (with Doc and Robbie as their bench swaps) looks best to me, with Declan and Miller wide.

McCall will never play that side to start though, doesn't favour two wingers at the same time and would trust Robbie and Adams with his life it seems. He's made more correct calls than not this season to be fair but this place would be boring without opinions.

1 hour ago, Yid_in_Exiile said:

I think Rose may need dropping for a while - to get his head straight again. Muirhead and Bell looks a decent partnership. That said, we also need a settled CB pair. - any other positions you can rotate but CB?  I prefer Adams at defensive midfield when we have something to defend and see a game out.

Always been a big fan of Kerr, only when he'll be facing pace everywhere might I drop him to the bench. Kerr and Murdoch (with Doc and Robbie as their bench swaps) looks best to me, with Declan and Miller wide.

McCall will never play that side to start though, doesn't favour two wingers at the same time and would trust Robbie and Adams with his life it seems. He's made more correct calls than not this season to be fair but this place would be boring without opinions.

That's a good point about Rose, he's been making a few rash decisions of late with the unfortunate penalty incident on Saturday and his lunge tackle last night which on a different day with a different referee could have resulted in a straight Red.

That said, I think his passing ability from defence helps our style of play and while I like Adams and thought that Muirhead has been excellent since his arrival I'm not so sure that their distribution is anywhere near as good.

As you say though, it's all open to opinion and the only one that really matters is Mr McCall's........

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Didn’t expect that tbh but he’s barely played this season.

He’ll do ok with you guys though. League 1 is probably his level now.

First thoughts are that his Ayr playing career is effectively over. He'll bring a fair bit of experience to your defence and probably help organise it. 
Should do well at League 1 level, he's probably just a little bit past being anything more than a squad player in the Championship.