The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This happens every single time we lose a game or have a poor performance and it's becoming ridiculous.

Ultimately we're always going to lose games and play poorly from time to time as are every team on the planet but there's really no point in trying to put it down to the Manager, coach or lack of coach or any other earth shattering conclusion as it's just football and all perfectly normal.

Morton got stuffed at home today, Queens Park got stuffed again and Chelsea are getting humped right now by Villa and only a few days ago Scotland humbled the mighty Spain, so really anything can happen at any time.

The bottom line is that we're still clear in 3rd place and are there on merit with Bullen as Manager and this same group of players that played last night so I think we should all acknowledge that there's nothing broken and that it has been a really good season for us, if not one of the best in the last 20 years......

Watch mate, you'll be getting hunted down and burned at the stake for suggesting such common sense.

Too many on here with short memories.

Conversely every time we manage a win some folk are looking up the table and getting far too carried away as if we aren’t almost certain to lose the next game.

Given the improvement this season there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone being quite happy with the way things are, but the “fine margins” and “that’s just football” defence that’s trotted out after every poor performance is piss-boiling.

47 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This happens every single time we lose a game or have a poor performance and it's becoming ridiculous.

Ultimately we're always going to lose games and play poorly from time to time as are every team on the planet but there's really no point in trying to put it down to the Manager, coach or lack of coach or any other earth shattering conclusion as it's just football and all perfectly normal.

Morton got stuffed at home today, Queens Park got stuffed again and Chelsea are getting humped right now by Villa and only a few days ago Scotland humbled the mighty Spain, so really anything can happen at any time.

The bottom line is that we're still clear in 3rd place and are there on merit with Bullen as Manager and this same group of players that played last night so I think we should all acknowledge that there's nothing broken and that it has been a really good season for us, if not one of the best in the last 20 years......

Is it a really good season for us if we finish 7th? Because I think that's just about as likely to happen as finishing 3rd.

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Is it a really good season for us if we finish 7th? Because I think that's just about as likely to happen as finishing 3rd.

Dear oh dear

9 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

We are eight points above seventh place, and are currently third - we also haven’t been near seventh place all season so it is utterly wild to suggest that. 

FWIW This season is an improvement on last season. That's unarguable.

I expect we'll win at least 2 of our remaining 5 which will be enough for top 4. I expect our points total may mirror 2018/19 tbh.

Whilst those further down the table have games in hand, they have to play one another.

I can understand the frustration with performances like last night. We never really troubled Arbroath and it's been the case for a long time now where we struggle to get two good performances back to back. Probably since the first quarter of the season/October time. Its been very up and down and when the season comes to an end we may rue it as a big opportunity missed. That's my fear.

Finishing 7th is definitely possible but it won’t happen. It’s also possible we’ll finish first or second but it won’t happen. In truth we haven’t been consistently good enough over the season to go up. We’re good enough to finish third or fourth though so Bullen has at worst, got us right where our budget and squad suggests we should be. That’s probably the kind of coach that he is. Nothing fancy or terrible but he’ll get you right where you should be based off budgets and available players. You can either stick with that and try and improve year on year where you are relying on the club to replace departing players and also upgrade on other areas. Alternatively you can twist and try and get a coach who’ll have you punching above your weight. Sort of like Imrie but in reality they can only punch so far before you descend again. 

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We are eight points above seventh place, and are currently third - we also haven’t been near seventh place all season so it is utterly wild to suggest that. 

So because we haven't been near there all season means we can't end up there? 

Raith have 2 games in hand, ICT one. We seem largely incapable of beating anyone not named Cove or Hamilton and I don't see this lot putting in any shred of consistency with the remaining games. So yeah, for me it's not that wild to think there's much difference between 3rd or 7th.

FWIW I expect we'll eek 4th or a comfy 5th 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

there's really no point in trying to put it down to the Manager, coach or lack of coach or any other earth shattering conclusion as it's just football and all perfectly normal.

Morton got stuffed at home today, Queens Park got stuffed again and Chelsea are getting humped right now by Villa and only a few days ago Scotland humbled the mighty Spain

No tactics involved in either of these. Just a dice roll really.

Edited by Thumper

8 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I expect we'll win at least 2 of our remaining 5 which will be enough for top 4. I expect our points total may mirror 2018/19 tbh.

Whilst those further down the table have games in hand, they have to play one another.

I can understand the frustration with performances like last night. We never really troubled Arbroath and it's been the case for a long time now where we struggle to get two good performances back to back. Probably since the first quarter of the season/October time. Its been very up and down and when the season comes to an end we may rue it as a big opportunity missed. That's my fear.

Who you think we're getting six points off of? 

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I think this is a fair post - as always the answer lies somewhere in the middle. 

At times this season I have been heads gone at how shite we were and for a period that was most weeks. We have got to a point now where we can play some good stuff - but we are just so inconsistent. We just didn’t do well enough in the January window to take that next step! I think we’ll finish top four and when we reflect on that, ultimately it’ll have been a good season. 

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Who you think we're getting six points off of? 

I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Morton, we have become something of a bogey for them. I'd also fancy us to beat one of Queens Park and Raith at Somerset. I'm not expecting anything from Partick and ICT away tbh.

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Can see the "GTF Bullen" brigade out in full force next weekend if we lose to Morton which would massively increase our chances of only finishing 5th

Will be an interesting game. You just know Imrie will be fizzing to get one over on us. Wonder if he will be the architect of his own downfall, in his desperation. 

Just now, Trogdor said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we beat Morton, we have become something of a bogey for them. I'd also fancy us to beat one of Queens Park and Raith at Somerset. I'm not expecting anything from Partick and ICT away tbh.

Just commented but I could see Imrie doing us a favour and gifting us three points. He could also cripple half the team too though so.... 

28 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

At times this season I have been heads gone at how shite we were and for a period that was most weeks. We have got to a point now where we can play some good stuff - but we are just so inconsistent. We just didn’t do well enough in the January window to take that next step! I think we’ll finish top four and when we reflect on that, ultimately it’ll have been a good season. 

I agree with your prediction of our top four finish.

I think for Bullen, it's hard to pass judgement because we don't know what he is telling Mathie and Smith. I am sure that he has exceeded the targets he has been set for the season. Our league finish if it is indeed top four will be better than most of us expected and the likely sale of Akinyemi will bring in cash that would never have been budgeted for. Although Akinyemi isn't just down to Bullen you have to give him credit for his development through the season. That's why I would keep him next season - in any other area of work you cannot give someone targets and then when they exceed those targets say it isn't good enough.

What I do hope is that Bullen is making the case that we need to increase the quality throughout the squad. Players like McKenzie work incredibly hard and are valuable but we need a few more with the quality of Chalmers in order to be able to compete at the top.

I am looking forward to the play-offs. Whatever legitimate criticism has been levelled at Bullen around his ability to react and change games, his teams do work very hard for 90 minutes and I am certain that they will give everything and that gives us a chance.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Conversely every time we manage a win some folk are looking up the table and getting far too carried away as if we aren’t almost certain to lose the next game.

Given the improvement this season there is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone being quite happy with the way things are, but the “fine margins” and “that’s just football” defence that’s trotted out after every poor performance is piss-boiling.

Every poor performance is exactly when the toys get chucked out the pram from the Bullen out brigade though, every single poor performance, win, lose or draw.

That's the problem I suspect from a large number of fans who are somewhere in the middle of being delighted at this seasons progress and those who want a change of manager.

It'll be a hell of an achievement if we make the playoffs but sadly that won't please some folk who seem intent in wanting to see us fail for some strange reason.

To think the same folk used to point and laugh at the SRE for the outlandish happenings on there once upon a time.

Short memories.

Us or Raith aren’t catching you. It would take an absolutely fucking wild set of results between now and the end of the season for that to happen. The playoffs will be 3 of QP, Dundee, Ayr and Partick with probably Dundee winning the league. 

23 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

You'd get more entertainment watching the Ayr Utd Strollers in their weekly walkabouts in Ayr than you would with that lot did tonight.

After that performance there will be some moaning and whining on the walk this Tuesday and we have many years of experience at it.