The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Bottom line is squad is weaker 2nd half of season that it was 1st

Lost Chalmers, haven't replaced him

Tried to improve CM with McAlear, hasn't worked

Never replaced Young 

Haven't looked to improve Fullback areas 

End of discussion/debate

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Our fanbase seems quite content to accept mediocrity. I've seen numerous posts on the SRE saying how this season has exceeded expectations. Questions need to be asked how we've spunked a great chance of a title win and a semi final appearance up the wall. 

Its damming that a team of jobbers like Queens Park are looking likely to win the title. A team we beat twice this season. I'd say outwith Dom Thomas I'm struggling to pick any QP players that are Prem level. Best chance of a Prem return for decades and we'll probably go out meekly 1st round of the play offs 

We may or may not win the league, but that’s some absolutely delicious anger and delusion right there.

Also, if we do go up, we’ll simply spend what we have to in order to bring in top flight players.

Spoiler

1E163701-4CFE-4F64-A399-FDF6FD15C8E3.png.e3775bf962d67515422cd25df0b0b424.png

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Our fanbase seems quite content to accept mediocrity. I've seen numerous posts on the SRE saying how this season has exceeded expectations. Questions need to be asked how we've spunked a great chance of a title win and a semi final appearance up the wall. 

Its damming that a team of jobbers like Queens Park are looking likely to win the title. A team we beat twice this season. I'd say outwith Dom Thomas I'm struggling to pick any QP players that are Prem level. Best chance of a Prem return for decades and we'll probably go out meekly 1st round of the play offs 

Thomas, Fox, Savoury, Boateng and Oakley all walk into starting eleven. 

52 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Since the Bangala Dundee game, it has been apparent that we are not good enough, the players we brought in during the summer were largely poor, the ones that came in at Christmas were worse and the football has been dreadful. As the weeks have gone by, more and more folk have realised this and after last night, there is so much apathy now and that is the worst thing for a football club. When folk don’t care any more.

Eh?

image.png.6883676438f670c516da116bf7d27db0.png

image.png.b6f6c58b3fc661ea9820761fff94e009.png

Of the summer signings, Bangala was (apologies Richie) a dud and JML hasn't been good enough, but the rest of them have been among the better players (in the league, not just at Ayr). The winter window was an absolute shambles (compounded by Mullin immediately getting injured) but summer was the whole reason Ayr ended up at the top of the table.

53 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

You still have the happy clappers on SRE. A great 3 or 4 months followed by different shades of shite since that Dundee game before Christmas.

Which is a carbon copy almost of the last time we were in this position, when we had a superior team, and were also up against superior teams.

How many games between Dec and May did we win that season? (hint: not many, we've practically equalled it now). Yet there's still folk pining for 2019 and wishing McCall was back (not saying you are @Thereisalight.., I'm just illustrating).

I don't disagree with pointing out missed opportunities and criticisms where they exist, but there are some serious mental gymnastics going on in this forum. That or there's some Stockholm Syndrome, pining for the stress of relegation battles. That's not happy clapping or accepting mediocrity, and I accept there's is still some piss and vinegar flying around after the Falkirk game, but for example imagining we didn't have Dipo or imagining Cove and Hamilton weren't garbage, I don't know why anyone would use these to support a belief when irl the opposites are true. 

Edited by Jeff Venom

1 minute ago, Jeff Venom said:

Which is a carbon copy almost of the last time we were in this position, when we had a superior team, and we're also up against superior teams.

With literally nobody under contract, with an absentee landlord who had categorically said he wasn't putting any more money into the club, and with the fucking manager himself plotting who he was going to take with him in the summer.

What's the excuse for the complete lethargy in the squad now, by contrast?

On 21/03/2023 at 10:10, Finlay21 said:

The club get told by the SFA the rearranged date it’s not up to  the clubs to arrange the game 

Yes it is. That's exactly how it works. The SPFL leave it for the two clubs to get together and agree a rearrange date within the next week or two and only if they can't agree one will they dictate a date. At this time of year though they certainly won't tolerate a 3 or 4 week wait for a date without very good reason. They want the last 2 midweeks of the season clear for last minute rearrangements just in case.

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

With literally nobody under contract, with an absentee landlord who had categorically said he wasn't putting any more money into the club, and with the fucking manager himself plotting who he was going to take with him in the summer.

At the end of the day the vast majority of fans want a winning team on the pitch first and foremost. If the club is a shambles but we are top of the league and flying then people will turn a blind eye. However if it’s the other way around it’s a different story. 

It shouldn’t be but it is. There shouldn’t be a lethargy in the squad really. We’ve done alright in truth and after the last couple of seasons it’s a welcome change. Unfortunately I can’t say the attitude changing this season unless we somehow go up. 

I've come to the conclusion that it's the playing style that is doing me in.

Last night I was reflecting on this season compared to 2018/19. 2018/19 we had the abhorrent cup result and our form was dreadful post Christmas and we finished 4th. Objectively, this season has the potential to be much better (although we are trending toward a similar finish) but I'm not as happy.

I think its maybe the combination of the playing style, where we were in the league after the first quarter and the countless missed opportunities but I'm scunnered.

Last night we weren't really at the races, if not for Albinson the game would have been dead at half time. Without Dipo I fear we'd be propping up this league. There are some serious cracks being papered over at present. 

11 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Eh?

image.png.6883676438f670c516da116bf7d27db0.png

image.png.b6f6c58b3fc661ea9820761fff94e009.png

Of the summer signings, Bangala was (apologies Richie) a dud and JML hasn't been good enough, but the rest of them have been among the better players (in the league, not just at Ayr). The winter window was an absolute shambles (compounded by Mullin immediately getting injured) but summer was the whole reason Ayr ended up at the top of the table.

I’d class Dempsey as last seasons signing.

Mullen - had a good game against Cove but his form was patchy before then, better than what we had but not a consistent performer.

Kirk - Brilliant most of the season, missed a couple of months and has been below par for the last month

The rest have not been upgrades at all. 

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’d class Dempsey as last seasons signing.

Mullen - had a good game against Cove but his form was patchy before then, better than what we had but not a consistent performer.

Kirk - Brilliant most of the season, missed a couple of months and has been below par for the last month

The rest have not been upgrades at all. 

Young, Chalmers, and ... Akinyemi were not upgrades?

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

McCall took Ross Docherty. Everyone else who left who we'd rather have kept went on to bigger things. 

Fair play that you've managed to eek out a narrative as to why we won 5 games from early Dec that season though and what is happening this season is somehow much, much worse by comparison. 

As for the current squad lethargy, I think you've mistaken my post for a ringing endorsement of Lee Bullen. It's not; just as easy as folk are saying we could end up finishing out of the playoffs, we also could end up with our highest finish and points total in 20+ years, with actual sellable assets this time. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

Which is a carbon copy almost of the last time we were in this position, when we had a superior team, and were also up against superior teams.

How many games between Dec and May did we win that season? (hint: not many, we've practically equalled it now). Yet there's still folk pining for 2019 and wishing McCall was back (not saying you are @Thereisalight.., I'm just illustrating).

I don't disagree with pointing out missed opportunities and criticisms where they exist, but there are some serious mental gymnastics going on in this forum. That or there's some Stockholm Syndrome, pining for the stress of relegation battles. That's not happy clapping or accepting mediocrity, and I accept there's is still some piss and vinegar flying around after the Falkirk game, but for example imagining we didn't have Dipo or imagining Cove and Hamilton weren't garbage, I don't know why anyone would use these to support a belief when irl the opposites are true. 

Aye this season is mirroring 18/19 in many ways. Fcked it v Ross County near Christmas and that was us on the decline. 

Nobody is denying we were great until December, but why the malaise since then? Yes we've had injuries and lost Chalmers but Bullen should be getting a better tune out of this mob

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Young, Chalmers, and ... Akinyemi were not upgrades?

I said largely poor, not that every one, to a man was shite. 

Young was ok I’m patches but more or less dropped out the team in December and left in January.

Chalmers  was only here for a matter of months as well. 

22 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Aye this season is mirroring 18/19 in many ways. Fcked it v Ross County near Christmas and that was us on the decline. 

Nobody is denying we were great until December, but why the malaise since then? Yes we've had injuries and lost Chalmers but Bullen should be getting a better tune out of this mob

Was it not blamed on the worsening pitches at one point that season?

Personally, I believe that was then, and is now, down to 2 factors.

1.  Injuries to key personnel.

2.  Other teams working out how we play and a lack of credible tactical changes on our part.

18/19 was different because of the reasons mentioned above. We had been sent down at the first attempt on the last 3 occasions and nothing at the club level had drastically changed since so all we wanted was to stay up. The football being played was also exciting and we lost a lot of close games that season.

This time we’re in our 5th consecutive season and everything off the park is changing for the better. It’s acceptable for folk to want more than we got 4 years ago from a more difficult position.

2 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Was it not blamed on the worsening pitches at one point that season?

Personally, I believe that was then, and is now, down to 2 factors.

1.  Injuries to key personnel.

2.  Other teams working out how we play and a lack of credible tactical changes on our part.

Which will make it interesting next season for Bullen when he doesn't have Dipo to rely on. So he has to make massive improvements on that part otherwise he won't last past Xmas.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

State of this man 🤣🤣

Clearly a case of only knowing Dom thomas in our squad, therefore everyone else must not be good enough