The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Some central midfield comparison/stats v Falkirk:

Will bore the absolute life out of some, but I found it quite interesting to see just how poor we were in there in every capacity. 

The argument with much of the below is going to centre around tactical v individual players. For example McGinn receives as many passes as our two put together - is it tactical or do our players just not make themselves available. I think it’s primarily tactical, but there is also a bit of the other too. McAlear attempted to get himself more involved but was pretty woeful in terms of success (especially defensively)whereas Dempsey wasn’t really in the game in an attacking or defensive sense but did the little that he got involved with okay. Ultimately though, it just isn’t enough from either of them - we basically played an entire game without a midfield with Ashford the only one contributing. Despite McGinn receiving the ball far more, he lost the ball far less than our guys too. 

I would be tempted to start Smith alongside Murdoch on Saturday as he at least looks to get himself involved and get on the ball. 

Total Actions: 

McAlear: 73 - 42 % successful.  

Dempsey: 52 - 52% successful. 

McGinn: 81 - 74% successful. 

Passes: 

McAlear: 31 - 71% accurate 

Dempsey: 25 - 80% accurate 

McGinn: 57 - 84% accurate 

Long Passes: 

McAlear: 7 - 14% accurate 

Dempsey: 1 - 100% accurate 

McGinn: 6 - 67% accurate 

Forward Passes: 

Dempsey: 10 - 50% successful 

McAlear: 12. -  63% successful 

McGinn: 33 - 76% successful 

Back Passes: 

Dempsey: 4 - 100% accurate

McALear: 7 - 93% successful 

McGinn: 2 - 100% successful 

Duels

McAlear: 19 (32% won) 

Dempsey: 9 (78% won) 

McGinn: 10 (70% won) 

Interceptions:

McAlear: 2 

Dempsey: 3

McGinn: 4

Losses: 

McAlear: 9 - Four own half 

Dempsey: 10 - Three own half 

McGinn: 7 - One own half 

Recoveries: 

McAlear: 9 - four opponents  half (None after 56th minute) 

Dempsey: 7 - four opponents  half (Only one after 29th minute) 

McGinn: 17 - Three opponents  half

Defensive Duels:

McAlear: 8 (38% won) 

Dempsey: 3  (100% won)

Loose Ball Duels

McAlear: 6 (33% won)

Dempsey: 2 (50% won)

McGinn: 2 (100% won)

Passes to final third: 

McAlear: 7 (29% accurate) 

Dempsey: 5 (80% accurate) 

McGinn: 12 (67% accurate) 

Received passes: 

McAlear: 15 

Dempsey: 12

McGinn: 27

Those stats just show you how little we use our midfield, it's certainly not our style of play to pass the ball around.

Falkirk also dropped Morrison and the Ukrainian lad a little deeper and they exerted full control after that with the numbers they had. We, meanwhile, played like a team on the road to a premier side and relied on launching it to Dipo. Pathetic. 

Big performance needed on Saturday. 

Just now, Shibuya said:

Those stats just show you how little we use our midfield, it's certainly not our style of play to pass the ball around.

Falkirk also dropped Morrison and the Ukrainian lad a little deeper and they exerted full control after that with the numbers they had. We, meanwhile, played like a team on the road to a premier side and relied on launching it to Dipo. Pathetic. 

Big performance needed on Saturday. 

Definitely - but it’s worrying how little they did defensively too. Although as you say they were completely outnumbered and Bullen had absolutely no response to it. 

It wouldn't have taken much to win that game (not talking about the penalties or handball.) It was a massive failing on Bullen (mainly) and the players part which conspired to lose it.

It was just a culmination of the past few months, it was bound to come to a head at some point.

45 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Some central midfield comparison/stats v Falkirk:

Will bore the absolute life out of some, but I found it quite interesting to see just how poor we were in there in every capacity. 

The argument with much of the below is going to centre around tactical v individual players. For example McGinn receives as many passes as our two put together - is it tactical or do our players just not make themselves available. I think it’s primarily tactical, but there is also a bit of the other too. McAlear attempted to get himself more involved but was pretty woeful in terms of success (especially defensively)whereas Dempsey wasn’t really in the game in an attacking or defensive sense but did the little that he got involved with okay. Ultimately though, it just isn’t enough from either of them - we basically played an entire game without a midfield with Ashford the only one contributing. Despite McGinn receiving the ball far more, he lost the ball far less than our guys too. 

I would be tempted to start Smith alongside Murdoch on Saturday as he at least looks to get himself involved and get on the ball. 

Total Actions: 

McAlear: 73 - 42 % successful.  

Dempsey: 52 - 52% successful. 

McGinn: 81 - 74% successful. 

Passes: 

McAlear: 31 - 71% accurate 

Dempsey: 25 - 80% accurate 

McGinn: 57 - 84% accurate 

Long Passes: 

McAlear: 7 - 14% accurate 

Dempsey: 1 - 100% accurate 

McGinn: 6 - 67% accurate 

Forward Passes: 

Dempsey: 10 - 50% successful 

McAlear: 12. -  63% successful 

McGinn: 33 - 76% successful 

Back Passes: 

Dempsey: 4 - 100% accurate

McALear: 7 - 93% successful 

McGinn: 2 - 100% successful 

Duels

McAlear: 19 (32% won) 

Dempsey: 9 (78% won) 

Interceptions:

McAlear: 2 

Dempsey: 3

McGinn: 4

Losses: 

McAlear: 9 - Four own half 

Dempsey: 10 - Three own half 

McGinn: 7 - One own half 

Recoveries: 

McAlear: 9 - four opponents  half (None after 56th minute) 

Dempsey: 7 - four opponents  half (Only one after 29th minute) 

McGinn: 17 - Three opponents  half

Defensive Duels:

McAlear: 8 (38% won) 

Dempsey: 3  (100% won)

Loose Ball Duels

McAlear: 6 (33% won)

Dempsey: 2 (50% won)

McGinn: 2 (100% won)

Passes to final third: 

McAlear: 7 (29% accurate) 

Dempsey: 5 (80% accurate) 

McGinn: 12 (67% accurate) 

Received passes: 

McAlear: 15 

Dempsey: 12

McGinn: 27

These stats are fairly reflective of the last 5 games (not looked further back).  

Macaleer is on 58% pass completion, which is abhorrent for a central midfielder over any period.  

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

These stats are fairly reflective of the last 5 games (not looked further back).  

Macaleer is on 58% pass completion, which is abhorrent for a central midfielder over any period.  

Aye, it’s pretty appalling stuff. 

The duels won rate of 32% is just pathetic, and Dempsey just isn’t doing very much at all. 

6 hours ago, Nelson said:

Musonda is probably one of our highest earners so we probably feel like we need to get value out him, particularly since he’s missed over 4 months of the season through injury.  I certainly don’t think he’s a a bad player on the whole, I’m just bemused as to why he’s built such a reputation with some fans.  On the other hand someone like McGinty can’t do right for doing wrong - can you imagine the response if it was him that had conceded that handball??

A year ago it would have been somewhat justified as McGinty usually had at least one clanger per game. Bullen has flaws in his management as Monday vividly demonstrated but he has done a good job turning McGinty into a competent enough defender.

33 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Of course you can that’s what won and lost  the game for both teams 

If we hadn’t played so horrifically for the majority of the match we wouldn’t have had to rely on not missing a late penalty.

The concerning thing is I think yours is the same thought process Bullen has on it. There won’t be any great concern about the performance, or the performances of the last few months. We’ll just tell ourselves we were unlucky and would have won on other day so we’ve got to carry on.

22 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

If we hadn’t played so horrifically for the majority of the match we wouldn’t have had to rely on not missing a late penalty.

The concerning thing is I think yours is the same thought process Bullen has on it. There won’t be any great concern about the performance, or the performances of the last few months. We’ll just tell ourselves we were unlucky and would have won on other day so we’ve got to carry on.

That's depressing as f**k. 

20 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

That's a worrying thought actually. And maybe part of it is due to only losing by the odd goal. If we were getting scudded, scoreline wise, maybe the penny would drop. 

Or maybe he's acutely aware of it, and is going with the long ball to bypass the midfield completely. 

Either way it's on him to find a solution. 

7 hours ago, Nelson said:

On the other hand someone like McGinty can’t do right for doing wrong - can you imagine the response if it was him that had conceded that handball??

Imagine if it had been Lionel Messi who had conceded it! Wouldn't people have gotten angry at Lionel Messi!

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Considering he very rarely attempts to pass the ball forward. 

I’m sure we employ at least one analyst (correct me if I’m wrong) so I’d like to know if it’s not those stats then what are they analysing? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a football team utilise their midfield as little as ours, good or bad. It’s got to the point I usually forget Dempsey is playing. I only know McAlear is playing because he usually fucks up.

26 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I’m sure we employ at least one analyst (correct me if I’m wrong) so I’d like to know if it’s not those stats then what are they analysing? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a football team utilise their midfield as little as ours, good or bad. It’s got to the point I usually forget Dempsey is playing. I only know McAlear is playing because he usually fucks up.

The analyst can only present the data to the coaching team.  If they choose to be stubborn and ignore it nothing can be done. 

It's worth remembering we've been hoofing it all season, it was just a wee bit nicer because Chalmers was there doing wee bits of magic earlier on.  

Edited by itzdrk

14 minutes ago, Thumper said:

For over two seasons, over three managers, no less.

I'd go as far back as Kerr's covid team and suggest it's how the club wishes to play football.