The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I'm aware this post will probably come across as happy clapping nonsense however despite the disappointment and anger from Falkirk game we are still right in the mix for the playoffs. We have been pretty meh for months now so it just shows how sub standard the quality of the league is.

Realistically we need to be finishing 2nd to have a chance of promotion. A team who finished 3rd/4th is yet to be promoted. 

If we miss out on the playoffs then there is certainly an arguement for emptying Bullen however I don't expect the club to pull the trigger. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

19 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I'm aware this post will probably come across as happy clapping nonsense however despite the disappointment and anger from Falkirk game we are still right in the mix for the playoffs. We have been pretty meh for months now so it just shows how sub standard the quality of the league is.

Realistically we need to be finishing 2nd to have a chance of promotion. A team who finished 3rd/4th is yet to be promoted. 

If we miss out on the playoffs then there is certainly an arguement for emptying Bullen however I don't expect the club to pull the trigger. 

I think there needs to be a balance, and your post is just about right. 

We were all absolutely fuming on Monday night, which we were perfectly entitled to be due to the manner of the performance. IMO, you are a happy clapper if you were unable to see why people were so angry. 

With Akinyemi back on form, coupled with Murdoch and Musonda being back we absolutely should be making the play offs. Loads to play for! 

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think there needs to be a balance, and your post is just about right. 

We were all absolutely fuming on Monday night, which we were perfectly entitled to be due to the manner of the performance. IMO, you are a happy clapper if you were unable to see why people were so angry. 

With Akinyemi back on form, coupled with Murdoch and Musonda being back we absolutely should be making the play offs. Loads to play for! 

Musonda should be dropped in favour of Kirk.  Genuinely baffled as to why a guy who was 4th choice centre back at Raith last season has suddenly become so over hyped.  Murdoch back will help, but personally I don’t see how we can maintain a promotion spot with the lack of quality in the wide areas and the lack of an effective partner for Dipo.

5 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Musonda should be dropped in favour of Kirk.  Genuinely baffled as to why a guy who was 4th choice centre back at Raith last season has suddenly become so over hyped.  Murdoch back will help, but personally I don’t see how we can maintain a promotion spot with the lack of quality in the wide areas and the lack of an effective partner for Dipo.

Musonda fucked it on Monday, but he is clearly our best centre half - one game doesn’t change that. The stats back that up too. 

I think you are right that Mathie has picked up on the feeling of despair after Monday night.

It did feel different and credit to him for fronting up.  He was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t.

Now, the next and biggest response needs to be on the pitch.  Everyone on the touch line and on the pitch owe us one.

Edited by AUFC 1910

6 minutes ago, AuAl said:

I thought Musonda had a good game on Monday, other than the handball.

Our team is weaker overall when he isn't in the backline.

Yeah this.  It was the midfield that failed us big time.  

34 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Musonda fucked it on Monday, but he is clearly our best centre half - one game doesn’t change that. The stats back that up too. 

What stats?  Kirk is obviously still inexperienced, but in terms of raw talent he is miles ahead of either Musonda or McGinty.  It’s not that long ago we were crying in our beer because we thought he was injured long term, now we’ve dropped him to accommodate a guy who can’t defend a high ball.  Baffled as to how anyone can think Musonda played well on Monday when we looked so vulnerable and panic stricken at every corner kick, which ultimately culminated in that absurd hand ball.   A lack of confidence in McAdams might have contributed too.

Either way, restoring Musonda is not going to address the serious shortcomings in other parts of the team.

52 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Genuinely baffled as to why a guy who was 4th choice centre back at Raith last season has suddenly become so over hyped.

If ever a post screamed reactionary pish it’s this one. I thought he made the difference at Cappielow. No way Kirk should be dropped to accommodate him but Musonda is clearly our best centre back.

2 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

If ever a post screamed reactionary pish it’s this one. I thought he made the difference at Cappielow. No way Kirk should be dropped to accommodate him but Musonda is clearly our best centre back.

Clearly.

13 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Kirk's form was terrible (compared to earlier in the season) just before Musonda came back, was a no brainer even for Bullen.  

I think the assessment of Musonda by Raith Rovers fans is pretty much on the money.  Good pace, versatile, distributes the ball well, but not a particularly strong defender on the ground or in the air.  That, coupled with his injury record, probably accounts for why Ian Murray wasn’t that desperate to keep him.  

Kirk has been excellent for most of the season. However, has to be said that his form in the weeks leading up to being dropped was pretty poor. His passing in particular (something I rated very highly for a championship CB) was all over the place for a few games in a row. 

He's a very decent centre half and tbh I think my favourite partnership I've seen at the back is him and Musonda. The fact that there's even a question about who should start at CB shows how far McGinty has come on.

Edited by AuAl

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Musonda and Kirk looked a good pairing earlier in the season. Not sure why Kirk didn't play on Monday or at least came on as sub, always thought he acquitted himself very well on the pitch.

Edited by Oceanlineayr

41 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Musonda and Kirk looked a good pairing earlier in the season. Not sure why Kirk didn't play on Monday or at least came on as sub, always thought he acquitted himself very well on the pitch.

Musonda is probably one of our highest earners so we probably feel like we need to get value out him, particularly since he’s missed over 4 months of the season through injury.  I certainly don’t think he’s a a bad player on the whole, I’m just bemused as to why he’s built such a reputation with some fans.  On the other hand someone like McGinty can’t do right for doing wrong - can you imagine the response if it was him that had conceded that handball??

11 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I certainly don’t think he’s a a bad player on the whole, I’m just bemused as to why he’s built such a reputation with some fans.

Probably because when he was playing every week Ayr were at the top of the table, and then he stopped playing every week, and Ayr are no longer top of the table.

I get that Monday was basically a horror show for him but otherwise the only criticism there's been on him all season on here has been that he's not been able to play more often.

On the other hand, at least he did play on Monday. f**k knows where Kirk has gotten a boo-boy squad from all of a sudden.

10 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Probably because when he was playing every week Ayr were at the top of the table, and then he stopped playing every week, and Ayr are no longer top of the table.

I get that Monday was basically a horror show for him but otherwise the only criticism there's been on him all season on here has been that he's not been able to play more often.

On the other hand, at least he did play on Monday. f**k knows where Kirk has gotten a boo-boy squad from all of a sudden.

Of the team that was doing well, we’re now missing Mullin, Chalmers and Murdoch out the midfield.  Dempsey has basically been playing the midfield himself for weeks.  I’d say that has proven way more significant than Musonda’s absence, which only really became a problem when Kirk got injured and we had to play McAllister at CB for a handful of games.  I doubt there was ever a chance of McInroy coming back on loan, but it’s funny to think that some people were turning their nose up at the prospect on the basis that we’d signed McAlear, who has been a huge disappointment.

Dempsey getting a constant free ride has always bewildered me. We probably have the worst midfield in the division at the moment. One man can’t do it all but he hasn’t even done anything of note recently for me except score a few penalties.