The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Is it too early to lump Maguire in with the likes of Kyle and Beattie? "Marque" signings who's time with us is not fondly remembered 

This is insanely harsh. He looked like he was linking up quite well with Dipo for the first 30 minutes before our entire performance fell off a cliff.

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

This is insanely harsh. He looked like he was linking up quite well with Dipo for the first 30 minutes before our entire performance fell off a cliff.

Last night was his best game tbf, but sadly when we look back in years to come he'll be the fall guy (and Frankie) for costing us a semi final place 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Last night was his best game tbf, but sadly when we look back in years to come he'll be the fall guy (and Frankie) for costing us a semi final place 

I would hope it will be Bullen that’s remembered for that the same way as Brian Reid is remembered for 2012

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If Musonda hadn’t made those two mistakes, would we have won the game? Possibly.

Would we have deserved to win the game? Absolutely not and that is where we have been lucky so many times this season, winning ugly etc. it papered over so many cracks that were always going to get bigger over the season. 

I’m just so fucked off still, Bullen is clearly out his depth. Doesn’t know how to change things when it’s not working leaves changes way too late and the general style of play is eye bleedingly bad. 
 Unfortunately we won’t get a change until the summer and that will only happen if we don’t make the playoffs and the football continues in the same fashion as it has 

I thought Maguire was good against us last week. His movement was clever and caused us real problems. You can see that with his contribution for the third goal - that was a constant problem for us, and we really struggled when we let him into the match. Our good spell in the first half came when we actually managed to press well, and cut of any decent service to the front two, but we conceded cheap goals and fell apart in the second half.

On that showing, there's no major problem with Maguire. 

I've told everyone at work not to annoy me today. Mostly the policy has been adhered to. 

I'm still fucking seething.

On the upside my son enjoyed his night which is something. He's had a bit of a slow start. The defeats away to QP & Falkirk. Still asking when his next game is. The optimism of youth!

34 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

I would hope it will be Bullen that’s remembered for that the same way as Brian Reid is remembered for 2012

Unpopular opinion, but I always thought BR deserved a little bit more respect than to be remembered for that one game. He gave us some very good memories after a few years of third tier mediocrity.

Obviously Reid had his limitations and making us a yo-yo club appeared to be his glass ceiling. He left at the right time after those disasterous playoffs, but sadly we downgraded in appointing Roberts.

39 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I thought Maguire was good against us last week. His movement was clever and caused us real problems. You can see that with his contribution for the third goal - that was a constant problem for us, and we really struggled when we let him into the match. Our good spell in the first half came when we actually managed to press well, and cut of any decent service to the front two, but we conceded cheap goals and fell apart in the second half.

On that showing, there's no major problem with Maguire. 

We didn’t have the ball much so he had a quiet game, he also missed a penalty. I think folk are being harsh on him because of these two things. He was also pretty rotten in the game before the Morton game. 

Surprised there hasn’t been more discussion around Kirk.  Why has he suddenly been dropped when he’s been excellent all season?  Is it purely to accommodate Musonda or is he carrying an injury?  Musonda is seriously overrated so not sure why he walks back into the team just because he’s fit again - think he’s due to miss games on international duty as well.  We drop Albinson and Kirk and we suddenly look panic stricken at every corner kick last night.  Coincidence?

Kirk back in and Musonda to left back and Mcallister to right back. They don't offer anything offensively but either do the ones we have now, hardly, so might as well be more solid at the back with them. Have to get the midfield more involved too and stop bypassing them.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

It annoys me when folk shout HOOF every time McGinty gets the ball. We have no ball playing midfielders. We have no one to take the ball off him and move it forward.

McGinty gets the ball and the forwards belt up the park, opposition then cover the full backs and centre half’s, leaving him with two options, a mazy run up the park or try and pick a player out with a long ball. We don’t offer out balls to him. A simple pass.

Mark Kerr took the ball off of Adams and Docherty who weren’t the best at picking a pass. We don’t have someone who can dictate a game. 

We needed to beef up the midfield but when you look at the bench, we have two young players that haven’t really done it, Murdoch who is just back from Injury and McCallister who can play in midfield. We simply don’t have the players. 

Bang on the money here H . This is exactly where we . I guess Kerr McInroy would have been our link man . Maybe get him in the Killie fire sale in May . In the past McInness freed LS , Rose and Harvie so ......

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Kirk back in and Musonda to left back and Mcallister to right back. They don't offer anything offensively but either do the ones we have now, hardly, so might as well be more solid at the back with them. Have to get the midfield more involved too and stop bypassing them.

Bullen did the usual, it worked last week so it’ll work next week regardless of the opposition ploy and it failed again. JML, Smith and Hewitt don’t work and we don’t have a spare left back.

I’d say he’ll bring in Kirk, McCallister and maybe Bryden on Saturday, possibly even Murdoch.
Musonda, Houston, McAlear and MaGuire out.

13 hours ago, Thumper said:

Not even a winnable tie. A tie against a team who have been in the league below Ayr for four seasons, and who are still thoroughly second-best this time around to a team featuring Joe Chalmers. A team who until recently had to suffer Gary Holt handing professional papers to his own son despite asserting zero control over transfer policy. A team whose fans' average IQ is sixty.

Most Ayr fans have been magnanimous in defeat. However GIRUY! 

21 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Bullen did the usual, it worked last week so it’ll work next week regardless of the opposition ploy and it failed again. JML, Smith and Hewitt don’t work and we don’t have a spare left back.

I’d say he’ll bring in Kirk, McCallister and maybe Bryden on Saturday, possibly even Murdoch.
Musonda, Houston, McAlear and MaGuire out.

Like Musonda, I don’t really see why Houston has walked straight back into the team just because he’s fit.  I suppose the argument is that he is better going forward than McAllister, but honestly, I don’t recall Houston getting forward at all last night.

I’ve never seen an Ayr side collapse so easily after having a spell where we could’ve been 3-0 up. It was as if we thought “ah we’ll see how we do at 1-0”. 

One of Smith, Hewitt or Murdoch should’ve been introduced after an hour for Maguire. He wasn’t having a bad game but Falkirk had the freedom of the entire pitch and we couldn’t do anything to stem the tide with 442. The annoying thing is that Falkirk had all their chances in the first half and in the second they were gifted the two goals. 

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Unpopular opinion, but I always thought BR deserved a little bit more respect than to be remembered for that one game. He gave us some very good memories after a few years of third tier mediocrity.

Obviously Reid had his limitations and making us a yo-yo club appeared to be his glass ceiling. He left at the right time after those disasterous playoffs, but sadly we downgraded in appointing Roberts.

100% on all of this, except obvs that I thought he did the best he could in that cup game as well (never mind that Killie were the only one of five SPL teams he failed to beat that season). He probably had to go (though I said at the time that I'd have kept him) but he's a solid #2 on the list of best Ayr managers of the last two decades.