The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that starting O'Connor is going to miraculously arrest this slump, but he's played well for the last couple weeks and offered more going forward than others in his position so, for me, earns a starting spot. We seemed far more threatening going forward both today and last week once he was on. 

But more than that, I think the fact he's hardly had a look in is symptomatic of Bullen's increasingly dogmatic tactics. Early in the season, when Dipo was an unknown quantity, getting the ball to him quickly worked. But now he's a target for defences it makes his job harder and we don't have a plan B to make the most of the fact that defences focussing on Dipo will open up space for others. 

Whether it is a deliberate tactic or players panicking and reverting to type, this long ball stuff isn't working. 

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Alas 2018/2019 season under McCall all over again....

• Blitz everyone else in the league 1st half of the season.
  • Have a shite January transfer window
  • Get sussed out by oppositions 2nd half of the season, turn to shit and slide down the table

It's absolutely nothing like 18/19. in 18/19 McCall's hands were tied during January and three quarters of the squad, including Shankland and McCall himself, were being openly tapped up by other teams. None of that applies this time. Furthermore McCall still tried to play football for the rest of the season whereas it doesn't seem like anything other than threat of pain makes Bullen swap from tactics that make Tony Pulis look like Pep Guardiola.

The remit this season was to stay up. That having basically been accomplished accidentally by Halloween, nobody in the back room has any priorities other than ensuring the main stand gets done next year. You'd like to think that at least there's still a cup to play for but if anything I suspect he cares even less about that.

Very weird behaviour for a guy who presumably does not want Ayr United, a club he had absolutely no ties to, to be the eventual highlight of his managerial career.

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hopefully someone other than the tedious McInroy rumour 

Unused sub today… 👀

Anyway - if we continue playing as we are he would be a pointless signing. Imagine trying to look good in our midfield as the ball is fired over your head. 

Just now, Jack1910 said:

Quite a few times but he just went backwards to mcginty or Kirk for the glorious hoofball 

In the first half he definitely didn’t. He did two or three times in the second half, but wasn’t nearly direct enough. 

I don’t think JML was very good today, and I definitely think O’Connor is the better option but O’Connor wouldn’t have been any better than JML in the first half. It’s entirely down to Bullen and his woeful set up. We also don’t actually know what Bullen wants from his wide players - Chalmers wasn’t exactly a tricky winger looking to go past people either and Bullen has always been absolutely loathe to start O’Connor. Maybe he wants guys who recycle to ball to allow us to punt the ball up the pitch - that is our style of play after all…

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

It's absolutely nothing like 18/19. in 18/19 McCall's hands were tied during January and three quarters of the squad, including Shankland and McCall himself, were being openly tapped up by other teams. None of that applies this time. Furthermore McCall still tried to play football for the rest of the season whereas it doesn't seem like anything other than threat of pain makes Bullen swap from tactics that make Tony Pulis look like Pep Guardiola.

The remit this season was to stay up. That having basically been accomplished accidentally by Halloween, nobody in the back room has any priorities other than ensuring the main stand gets done next year. You'd like to think that at least there's still a cup to play for but if anything I suspect he cares even less about that.

Very weird behaviour for a guy who presumably does not want Ayr United, a club he had absolutely no ties to, to be the eventual highlight of his managerial career.

Wish it was the main stand getting done! I was in it today and the concourse had a leaking roof, further along it looked the ceiling was about to cave in in parts

2 hours ago, Hursty said:

We are fucking boring to watch at home.   As a non season ticket holder who goes every week its hard to justify it.    At one point in the first half earlier both centre half's took turns at shelling free kicks in to their keepers arms unchallenged. Nobody else does that.  It's so bad.  Away games at least give a day out.  

3,000 home crowd today which i know had a good sized away support but still a really good home turnout presented with that shite viewing ain't exactly going to clamour them to returning quickly 

37 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Mullin staying was celebrated like it was a new arrival and it covered up how rubbish our window actually was.

Pretty sure we set out to bring in more than 1 but we ended up losing out on targets most likely

20 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Some interesting points there which are a bit debatable...

Kirk didn’t have a great game last week (not many did), but today be wash shocking. If McGinty had the game he did he’d be hanging from the gallows. Hardly completed a pass, looked nervous every time on the ball. He’s set high standards and hopefully back to that next week. For raith away I’d be looking at Houston left back. Reading again hardly completed a pass and a fairly large chunk of his passes ended up out for a throw in. O’Connor has to start next week. 

If we manage too finish in the top 4 and get a Scottish cup semi final .it'll be a great season. 

Too many players not in it today .mullen jml etc 

O'connor should start every week ..McAllister would dive in front of a bus for this team. Thought mcalear done well when he came on 

44 minutes ago, rb123! said:

3,000 home crowd today which i know had a good sized away support but still a really good home turnout presented with that shite viewing ain't exactly going to clamour them to returning quickly 

It's awful.  Can't get my head round why we play that way

20 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We need to be more clinical though, despite not creating a singular chance 😂

While it doesn't excuse the utter dross for the first 80 mins , we DID create a few decent chances late on and Dipo should have scored when in on the keeper or at least squared it for McKenzie for a tap in.

Bullen can also be questioned on tactics but the players themselves must take responsibility for their lack of intensity and complete lack of movement prior to that last 10 mins.

Whatever happens though, O'Connor must start on Friday.

26 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We need to be more clinical though, despite not creating a singular chance 😂

Aye this, f**k me.

How about we try to play in way that will make chances, then I'll listen to the need to be more clinical without laughing.