The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, OneTeamInAyrsh1re said:

Our record against top 4 has been stinking recently pumped every single time

I wouldn’t say we’ve been pumped in any of the games. They’ve all been tight and it’s been key moments that have let us down. We could easily have got back into that game last night at 1-0. 

11 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Given all the stuff Hewitt was really bad at was physical I can't see how Murdoch helps?!

I don't think Hewitt was really bad. It's just a big step up for him to go from Peterhead to this after a season out with injury, particularly since the midfield was being bypassed. I think he'll definitely do a job for Ayr 

Murdoch is our most combative midfielder though, and at times we let QP run at us without putting in a challenge. They were making easy yards and he'd at least have put a challenge in. 

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I wouldn’t say we’ve been pumped in any of the games. They’ve all been tight and it’s been key moments that have let us down. We could easily have got back into that game last night at 1-0. 

Agree with that , just after half time we had 2 cleared off the line that could have totally changed the game , even though QP were better team in first half they only had one shot that needed saved , believe if they had not got  penalty it was going to play out 0-0 , but still agree we were poor all over the pitch last night , maybe get another experienced midfielder in to help control the middle of park 

Edited by Finlay21

Not pumped in the scoreline in these games, but worryingly we haven't played well in the last 2 Dundee games, away at thistle and last night.

Don't need overreaction from last night, but equally far too much high fiving regarding our apparently brilliant transfer window, yes some positives, but no left back, no additional striker or possibly another option wide. 

Big challenges await to see if we keep top 4 

59 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I would say Dundee pumped us. they pressed us hard giving us no time on the ball. we played one up front and hoofball that day too.

12 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Given all the stuff Hewitt was really bad at was physical I can't see how Murdoch helps?!

Aye we really lack a physical presence in midfield. You look at all the teams that have won this league in the past and they’ve always got a big player in midfield that does a lot of the dirty work. 

Queens Park were the better team last night. We had 1/2 clear cut chances to their 5/6. Coupled with Boateng taking the ball off all our players for fun we really lost the midfield battle. Our propensity for knocking it long also didn't work as Dipo didn't win his share of 50/50s and when he did, he was a bit laboured by his standards or Queens Park closed him down instantly. Our wide men barely got a touch as exemplified by Mullin who is an excellent player but the game largely passed him by. We do need to be a bit less one dimensional at times.

We need to keep the ball on the deck and try to stretch the play and switch it when necessary. I am not averse to route 1 but not every time. Second half there was a definite change as Kirk was striding out with the ball rather than knocking it long.

Unfortunately, Queens just looked a yard quicker than us all over the pitch. Dundee away was similar, they just seemed to be that much faster than us.

The chance that could have turned the game was the Hewitt one at the start of the second half. Had we scored that it may have been a different game. When we were on top though later in the second half, McLean sucked all the momentum out of the game by allowing a 5/6 minute stoppage. Which was a nonsense. Even allowing the injured player to trudge to the half way line instead of leaving via the closest part of the pitch. 🤦‍♂️

Disappointing performance for sure. We need to pick ourselves back up and go on a wee run again. Many twists and turns to come. 

Let's lick our wounds, pap Elgin out the cup and then get back to league business at home to Thistle.

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The Ayr FB pages are always wild after defeats. Two of the strangest takes I've saw are the Zambian guy saying the better team lost, and a woman saying McAllister banged his head and must have had concussion when he gave away the pen and scored the OG 🤯

Agree that Somerset Road end Facebook book page is a total car crash! Some of the posts are so bad it’s laughable, then you have the just as cringeworthy fishing posts. I really need to stop looking at it every now and then! The amount of absolute morons on the page is something else tho. 

30 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye we really lack a physical presence in midfield. You look at all the teams that have won this league in the past and they’ve always got a big player in midfield that does a lot of the dirty work. 

That's a good point and bang on 

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Mr Adams, come on down.

0_adams2.jpg

a717c545-2df0-4a91-b788-49b095b03b36.jpg

Personally, I don’t think physical presence in midfield is an issue tbh - Dempsey and Murdoch are both happy doing the dirty work. I think it all comes back to a lack of control over games and it seems like that’s more of a tactical issue. Boateng won the midfield battle, but all he had to do was sit in front of their defenders and wait for the long ball to pick up the scraps.

ETA, not that I’m saying I don’t miss Jamie Adams hugely, and we wouldn’t be better off with a player like him. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Just now, Trogdor said:

I've got flashbacks to that game away to Raith in 2017/18 when we had Bell and Adams as our central midfield pairing. Big Val described us as agricultural. 

Licking Jackie Chan GIF

Agricultural is a very fitting term for oor Jamie.

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Queens Park were the better team last night. We had 1/2 clear cut chances to their 5/6. Coupled with Boateng taking the ball off all our players for fun we really lost the midfield battle. Our propensity for knocking it long also didn't work as Dipo didn't win his share of 50/50s and when he did, he was a bit laboured by his standards or Queens Park closed him down instantly. Our wide men barely got a touch as exemplified by Mullin who is an excellent player but the game largely passed him by. We do need to be a bit less one dimensional at times.

We need to keep the ball on the deck and try to stretch the play and switch it when necessary. I am not averse to route 1 but not every time. Second half there was a definite change as Kirk was striding out with the ball rather than knocking it long.

Unfortunately, Queens just looked a yard quicker than us all over the pitch. Dundee away was similar, they just seemed to be that much faster than us.

The chance that could have turned the game was the Hewitt one at the start of the second half. Had we scored that it may have been a different game. When we were on top though later in the second half, McLean sucked all the momentum out of the game by allowing a 5/6 minute stoppage. Which was a nonsense. Even allowing the injured player to trudge to the half way line instead of leaving via the closest part of the pitch. 🤦‍♂️

Disappointing performance for sure. We need to pick ourselves back up and go on a wee run again. Many twists and turns to come. 

Let's lick our wounds, pap Elgin out the cup and then get back to league business at home to Thistle.

If you're going to go route 1 you need to win the second balls. Weren't even competing for them last night. It would be reassuring also if there seemed to be a strategy behind it - trying to take advantage of an identified weakness in the opponent - but it didn't look like that either.

Edited by Iain

13 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

C’mon - let’s not attempt to compare the Kirk and McGinty performances tonight. McGinty was first season at us woeful unfortunately - I’m sure he will get back on track, be just does this occasionally and reverts back. 

Depressingly, Kirk was our best attacking outlet. I’m assuming he got fed up of the hoofball and just attempted to do it by himself with his driving runs. 

No comparison, Kirk undoubtedly the better player in ever aspect of his game. Was merely pointing out his passing was poor ( at times ) same as the rest but McGinty gets abuse for it and others don’t. 

Edited by motley123rock

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Personally, I don’t think physical presence in midfield is an issue tbh - Dempsey and Murdoch are both happy doing the dirty work. I think it all comes back to a lack of control over games and it seems like that’s more of a tactical issue. Boateng won the midfield battle, but all he had to do was sit in front of their defenders and wait for the long ball to pick up the scraps.

ETA, not that I’m saying I don’t miss Jamie Adams hugely, and we wouldn’t be better off with a player like him. 

It definitely comes down to control. I've never seen a player at this level be quite as adept at that as Boateng. He was excellent and seemed to be picking up the ball across the pitch. I'm not sure Murdoch playing would have changed that tbh. He would have hopefully made it more difficult for QP attacking us.

7 minutes ago, Iain said:

If you're going to go route 1 you need to win the second balls. Weren't even competing for them last night. It would be reassuring also if there seemed to be a strategy behind it - trying to take advantage is an identified weakness in the opponent - but it didn't look like that either.

I would agree with this. Its been a crutch all season as we have Dipo. It comes back to control as No_Problemo was saying. We don't seem to exert much control over the game even when winning games. I'm not sure what the solution is. We've tried 4-5-1 which in principle should give us more control but we end up with Dipo isolated and lose the midfield battle anyway.

The days are gone when every team needs a shithouse in midfield.

The problem last night was a lack of composure, we really struggled against a high pressing team. I doubt the game plan was to launch long balls all night but that’s what transpired because we struggled to string more than two passes together.