The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Reid getting Kevin James on loan from St Johnstone was arguably the point at which the club got its shit back together after several years in the doldrums of mid-table third tier football. A good loan can transform a club. The problem is that the sort of players that Ayr desperately need (good, ball-winning midfielders; target men; full backs who don't shit their pants every other game) are hard to find on loan.

Didn't Reid sign Mark Roberts on loan around this time as well? Even a done Kevin James was a monumental upgrade on the calibre of player we'd witnessed for a few years. Frightening to think back on actually. 

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Aye I think fans sometimes forget the biggest development to the ground since perhaps when floodlights were first installed decades ago is happening next season. 

Hospitality income will be wiped out (I think?) and the capacity of the ground will take a huge hit so no potentially big cup games either. 

It's hugely exciting but we have to be realistic re player signings. 

Possibly the cash from Dipo used to supplement that loss? Would be bad timing if we had to tighten things for next season assuming we end up having a good current season.

2 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Possibly the cash from Dipo used to supplement that loss? Would be bad timing if we had to tighten things for next season assuming we end up having a good current season.

The ground capacity next season is likely to be between 6,000 and 6,500 which will be more than enough for every potential fixture with the exception of a Home tie against either Rangers or Celtic in the cup and even with that unlikely scenario, the loss differential wouldn't actually be that much.

I'd also imagine that we're currently ahead of expectations as regards budgeted prize money for this season.

Speaking of prize money, does anyone have the Championship breakdown of payments ?

I've found the Premier league and can see that the Winners of the Championship are getting around £550k, however I've been unable to find the breakdown for the rest of the places.

I'd imagine though that the difference between finishing 2nd and 5th or 6th could be around £150k to £200k so the old saying of speculate to accumulate could be very apt to our current situation.....

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Speaking of prize money, does anyone have the Championship breakdown of payments ?

I've found the Premier league and can see that the Winners of the Championship are getting around £550k, however I've been unable to find the breakdown for the rest of the places.

I'd imagine though that the difference between finishing 2nd and 5th or 6th could be around £150k to £200k so the old saying of speculate to accumulate could be very apt to our current situation.....

Latest I can see is from 2020. Think it has gone up slightly since then.

Screenshot_20230117_142236_Chrome.jpg

Absolutely has to be the attacking 3rd, I also get the need for full backs but I think that's something that will be addressed in the summer, Dipo needs a hand big McKenzie back to his form of the autumn would help aswell, tbf to the big lad he plays where's he's sent on.

23 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Absolutely has to be the attacking 3rd, I also get the need for full backs but I think that's something that will be addressed in the summer, Dipo needs a hand big McKenzie back to his form of the autumn would help aswell, tbf to the big lad he plays where's he's sent on.

The 3 new signings that Arbroath had in their ranks all appeared to have something to offer, so there's definitely players out there within our reach.

It's easy to say that there's a fair element of risk involved but that applies to everyone, even "proven" Championship performers.

Tom Walsh and Bruce Anderson being prime examples for ourselves and Cammy Smith failing to live up to his previous promise at Thistle and Zanatta confirming failure time and time again at a host of clubs. Even Mullin was pretty poor at Hamilton but has been outstanding for ourselves and of course Baird and Gillespie having a tough time at Somerset but excelling at Morton.

Systems, Managers, playing style and confidence all playing a part which makes a mockery of stats and history but as they say, that's football......

5 hours ago, Nelson said:

But in the end, I think there are a few fans who have nailed their colours so firmly to the mast that they aren’t able to recognise that with the right manager and coaching staff, McGinty has proven that he is an entirely decent championship standard defender.

I am not saying that Lee Bullen and Davie White etc are incapable of polishing rough diamonds. That is clearly untrue. But pulling the "with a decent manager" card with a player whose first appearance at Somerset was as a Manchester United player in the Ferguson era is amazing.

My attitude when he was signed was "burn the stadium to the ground with the manager in it". My current attitude is "he is not a stick-on to keep his place when Musonda is fit again". This is not quite an itzdrk-esque grudge of eternity.

4 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

Didn't Reid sign Mark Roberts on loan around this time as well?

Roberts was never a loanee. He arrived in the January window before James's emergency loan in March.

Edited by Thumper

8 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Whilst we wait for new signings, can we all agree this new lottery is a pig in a poke? Saw nobody won it yet again this week. Surely we can have a better lottery system than this one which never seems to be won until it reaches the maximum ammount

Everything seems to be going the same way nowadays where one person wins lots rather than lots of people win something.

The 5x £1,000's is much better than 1 person winning 5k I'd say but then again I'd rather see 10 people winning £500 each but that's just me, I'm sure some others have a different view.

Now would be the time to announce a new contract for McGinty, when he's playing well and club captain. He's played alongside a different defence most weeks since Musonda went out injured. We'll lose Kirk and the end of the season and need to bring in two anyway. 

I can't imagine many clubs in Scotland signing him based purely on reputation. 

51 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Whilst we wait for new signings, can we all agree this new lottery is a pig in a poke? Saw nobody won it yet again this week. Surely we can have a better lottery system than this one which never seems to be won until it reaches the maximum ammount

Aye, I'd much rather we went back to the old one. So I can win f**k all in that each week like I do in the new one. 

At least offer prizes for matching some of the balls. 

13 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Now would be the time to announce a new contract for McGinty, when he's playing well and club captain. He's played alongside a different defence most weeks since Musonda went out injured. We'll lose Kirk and the end of the season and need to bring in two anyway. 

I can't imagine many clubs in Scotland signing him based purely on reputation. 

That's McCall music... 

marching band dance GIF by Texas Archive of the Moving Image