The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

I was thinking about the goals this morning and realised we haven't scored a goal from open play since the 17th of December!

In fairness we missed a couple of very good chances yesterday and same last week all from open play, so it's not that we're creating nothing at all.

I'd also say at this time of year with heavy pitches and wind conditions that it's much harder to play any sort of quality attacking free flowing football, so the fact that we're still sitting second confirms that we must be doing something right in relation to our peers.

That said, if Murdoch is out for any length of time and losing Chalmers and Young, then it is imperative that we get a couple of guys in soon who are going to be better than what we already have and in January that's not always easy, so I just hope Glendinning has been working his magic behind the scenes !!

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Hopefully Chalmers and Young leaving means we can upgrade at full back on both sides.  

Was thinking yesterday about what will happen when Musonda gets back as it wouldn’t be fair in the slightest to drop McGinty. I’d give Musonda another go at left back and get Houston back into the team at right back. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd say the wind yesterday was as bad (if not worse) than the ICT game that got called off late in the day a few seasons back. When the ball wouldnt stay still after the 4th attempt Im suprised the ref didnt abandoned the game then. 

Yeah think if it had been a more experienced ref it probably wouldn't of been played.

Was very surprised the 2nd half got underway and was half expecting it to get abandoned at the penalty farce

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Was thinking yesterday about what will happen when Musonda gets back as it wouldn’t be fair in the slightest to drop McGinty. I’d give Musonda another go at left back and get Houston back into the team at right back. 

Fairness shouldn't come into it. You play your strongest 11. Plain and simple - it's a cold headed decision for me.

If we have a new left back (unlikely) or if Reading returns to form then McGinty doesn't get in the team. 

I'd much rather have two ball playing centre halves. It's rare at this level. I also think Frankie isn't that great at left back either. It's the old square pegs in round holes argument.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Hopefully Chalmers and Young leaving means we can upgrade at full back on both sides.  

I'm a bit torn here. Imho, on their games (which is pretty inconsistent now) Houston and Reading are absolutely fine for a play offs push, so long as they're confident with the players immediately to their sides (ie Franky and Kirk) and ahead of them (like Mullin).

On the other hand, I'm hoping the recruitment push is looking for players to come in and improve all areas of the pitch, full backs included, and if we're able to get guys in now who are likely to stay longer terms and build on the core of the squad then I'm not against it. 

One thing is for sure though, it's nice talking about this in these terms for a change, rather than who tf is going to keep us up. 

56 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Yeah think if it had been a more experienced ref it probably wouldn't of been played.

Was very surprised the 2nd half got underway and was half expecting it to get abandoned at the penalty farce

Literally the only reason I can think of why yesterdays game went ahead was because Arbroath had travelled all that way and were already there. That's not a good enough reason to still play in those conditions though - as the decision should have been made sooner.

A point is a point and that's not the worst outcome that could have occurred yesterday, but this was an opportunity missed to close the gap on QP with them only drawing yesterday as well.

3 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Literally the only reason I can think of why yesterdays game went ahead was because Arbroath had travelled all that way and were already there. That's not a good enough reason to still play in those conditions though - as the decision should have been made sooner.

A point is a point and that's not the worst outcome that could have occurred yesterday, but this was an opportunity missed to close the gap on QP with them only drawing yesterday as well.

Yeah if we'd won yesterday we'd have only been 2 points off top and 8 points ahead of 5th placed Morton which would have felt massive.

Could have been worse though if likes of Partick/Morton/Inverness had won yesterday but on reflection today does feel like 2 points dropped when you see the highlights with Mullin for example having those 2 good chances.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

Yeah if we'd won yesterday we'd have only been 2 points off top and 8 points ahead of 5th placed Morton which would have felt massive.

Could have been worse though if likes of Partick/Morton/Inverness had won yesterday but on reflection today does feel like 2 points dropped when you see the highlights with Mullin for example having those 2 good chances.

Did we not play out a wild 4-4 draw in similar conditions a few years ago?

1 minute ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did we not play out a wild 4-4 draw in similar conditions a few years ago?

Dumbarton on Christmas Eve, aye. Stevo scored a late equaliser for them after we had been 2-0 up. Absolutely battered them with the win at our backs and even in the second half did okay but conceded some absolutely shambolic goals. 

4 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Do we know that Brad Young is defo away? Club haven’t mentioned anything. 

I heard Mathie in the hub yesterday say to someone along the lines of "we had a chat with him and decided it would be best for him to go back... home sickness issues aswell etc" so presume he was talking about Young...

1 hour ago, Jeff Venom said:

I'm a bit torn here. Imho, on their games (which is pretty inconsistent now) Houston and Reading are absolutely fine for a play offs push, so long as they're confident with the players immediately to their sides (ie Franky and Kirk) and ahead of them (like Mullin).

On the other hand, I'm hoping the recruitment push is looking for players to come in and improve all areas of the pitch, full backs included, and if we're able to get guys in now who are likely to stay longer terms and build on the core of the squad then I'm not against it. 

One thing is for sure though, it's nice talking about this in these terms for a change, rather than who tf is going to keep us up. 

My first priority would be to strengthen the central midfield area , a DCM that can break things up and win headers and an ACM who can pull the strings going forward a link things up . Easier said than none I guess . I would have went for another striker but I'm guessing Bullen sees a fit again Bryden as a decent enough replacement. I'd expect something to happen this week .