The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think I would like to bring someone in and get Ecrepont out on loan to league one to see what level he is actually at. 

I get that. When Frankie is back, he could well be the best option at left back but I prefer him at centre back tbh. Frankie and Kirk can start attacks and stride forward. I wouldn't mind Finn going out on loan if he actually gets played!

We really missed Murdoch today and last week. He actually starts a few moves with his passing range and gets forward these days as well as doing the rough and tumble in midfield. I hadn't noticed how much he has been doing until he hasn't been there!

10 minutes ago, stevep56 said:

"Who's shouting abuse?"

I was referring to comments made earlier in the thread that said that McGinty had been slaughtered by some supporters after he scored today.  Another comment said that Reading had also been slaughtered by fans.

McGinty and Reading Slaughtered!? That's Awful! I truly hope the police deal with this! Never did I think I'd hear of another murder at Somerset park 🫤 Not after Gordon Marshalls career....

12 minutes ago, stevep56 said:

"Who's shouting abuse?"

I was referring to comments made earlier in the thread that said that McGinty had been slaughtered by some supporters after he scored today.  Another comment said that Reading had also been slaughtered by fans.

I'd guess that meant being slaughtered on chat on the terraces as opposed to having abuse shouted at them tbh.

3 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Was someone hit by a light in the SRE today? 

Was near it but don't think it actually hit anyone. Just fell off the roof and was swinging. Pretty unsafe shit tbh.

Edited by AuAl

3 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Was near it but don't think it actually hit anyone. Just fell of the roof and was swinging. Pretty unsafe shit tbh.

Another coat of stripey paint should fix this. (Has there literally ever been a point when every stand has had its whole roof painted?)

34 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Was near it but don't think it actually hit anyone. Just fell of the roof and was swinging. Pretty unsafe shit tbh.

Aye the rest of the strip lights in the SRE look as if they're secured on by about 2 screws probably 20 year old!

Surprised that never got the game called off on safety grounds before we'd even started.

7 hours ago, rb123! said:

Aye the rest of the strip lights in the SRE look as if they're secured on by about 2 screws probably 20 year old!

Surprised that never got the game called off on safety grounds before we'd even started.

Nothing to do with how long they have been up , I think if you look at all the damage caused in Ayr yesterday  roofs blown off house , trees uprooted , think we are lucky we only got a damaged light f, the game should never have been played yesterday in those conditions 

Edited by Finlay21

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

Nothing to do with how long they have been up , I think if you look at all the damage caused in Ayr yesterday  roofs blown off house , trees uprooted , think we are lucky we only got a damaged light f, the game should never have been played yesterday in those conditions 

The referees can’t win.  If they postpone the game, people howl that it’s far too late in the day to call it off.  If they go ahead but have to abandon it, they’re accused of incompetence for ever starting it in the first place.  If the game is played to a conclusion in farcical conditions, people say the game should never have been played.

Ultimately the clubs (through the SFA) need to decide whether games should be postponed based on forecast conditions or actual conditions at kick off.  Yesterday’s wind was very accurately forecast, so the game could have been called off mid morning.  But I guess the clubs are worried that they’ll get slaughtered if the forecast doesn’t materialise, so they just push the decision to the match day referee who won't even arrive at the ground until 1.30 by which time the teams have arrived and the away fans are well on the road.

Personally I think it was plainly obvious that the game should have been postponed, on general safety grounds if nothing else.  It certainly didn’t do us any favours as it turned a must win game into a lottery.

10 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The referees can’t win.  If they postpone the game, people howl that it’s far too late in the day to call it off.  If they go ahead but have to abandon it, they’re accused of incompetence for ever starting it in the first place.  If the game is played to a conclusion in farcical conditions, people say the game should never have been played.

Ultimately the clubs (through the SFA) need to decide whether games should be postponed based on forecast conditions or actual conditions at kick off.  Yesterday’s wind was very accurately forecast, so the game could have been called off mid morning.  But I guess the clubs are worried that they’ll get slaughtered if the forecast doesn’t materialise, so they just push the decision to the match day referee who won't even arrive at the ground until 1.30 by which time the teams have arrived and the away fans are well on the road.

Personally I think it was plainly obvious that the game should have been postponed, on general safety grounds if nothing else.  It certainly didn’t do us any favours as it turned a must win game into a lottery.

100% accurate 

Even Arbroath backroom said the wind was going to ruin the game and had seen games called off up there with winds that strong 

25 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Completely agree. The problem is that there is no explicit guidance about the wind speed above which a game should not be played. While some aspects of playability - e.g. waterlogged pitch - are more subjective it should be pretty straightforward to agree a rule along the lines of "if at 10am on the match day the wind speed at 3pm is forecast to be 35mph or higher then the game must be postponed". I have no idea what the actual speed threshold should be but a clear rule would remove the pressure on referees who currently cannot win as you point out.

Although I thought Arbroath dealt with the wind better than us, yesterday's game was terrible to watch and the result was basically down to luck (although I would not want to take anything away from McGinty whose header for the equaliser was excellent).