The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

This in a nutshell.  When Dempsey is trying to place the ball about 5 times before he can hit a penalty and folk are shouting that he needs to hit it quicker then you know the game is a farce.   It's 2 points dropped probably, but a better result than Morton losing at Hamilton so all in all, take it.

The end of January will be pretty positive player wise, I'm absolutely certain of that.   Work is being done. 

Yeah fact Bullen has spent the first two weeks of January saying it's important to keep a hold of Chalmers and Mullin means i'm pretty confident behind the scenes targets have been drawn to replace either of those two if they were recalled. 

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Yeah fact Bullen has spent the first two weeks of January saying it's important to keep a hold of Chalmers and Mullin means i'm pretty confident behind the scenes targets have been drawn to replace either of those two if they were recalled. 

Can absolutely guarantee they are.  Chalmers is a massive loss but it frees up a lot of wage budget.   

5 minutes ago, Hursty said:

How has he not earned his place currently?   He's 3rd choice CB behind Kirk and Musonda, one of whom is injured.  Murdoch has been captain when he doesn't play.   Who are you starting at CB today instead?  

Does any doubt around  McGinty come from current or historic efforts?

11 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

There are plenty of decent honest players at this level. They aren't anywhere near being a club captain though. Perhaps if he was left to earn  his place or not based on performances  then less abuse might come his way

The captain does not need to be the best player , McGinty is well respected by his fellow teammates and gives great encouragement and advice  at both training and in matches , creates a good atmosphere within the squad 

McGinty has been, at worst, average this season, absolutely fine. Aaron Muirhead level of consistency. 

Again today, we created very little. Playing with the wind and going a goal up maybe counted against us because we were very pedestrian and didn’t push for a second. 
After half time we pushed too high up the park and both goals we lost were on the counter. Arbroath played 11 men behind the ball against the wind and we didn’t.

Pleased with the draw in the end, may have been a different result on a calm day and a better pitch but we need to start creating chances again. 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Does any doubt around  McGinty come from current or historic efforts?

Not even sure what that means.  He's had some absolute howlers - first time I ever noticed the guy I was I'm Hospitality at Firhill when Ayr beat them 2-1 with Muirhead scoring the winner- McGinty came in post game and seemed to take the abuse very well having been deatroyed by a young Luke McCowan on one of his first starts (including from me who drunkenly offered him a sugar lump.  riddy).  

Came to Ayr via Morton - makes mistakes as does every centre back in this league but I genuinely don't get the hate - in fact as club captain who isn't even a first choice starter and who half the fans seem to hate then the guys attitude seems absolutely fucking spot on.  

18 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Came to Ayr via Morton - makes mistakes as does every centre back in this league but I genuinely don't get the hate - in fact as club captain who isn't even a first choice starter and who half the fans seem to hate then the guys attitude seems absolutely fucking spot on.  

I'm not his biggest fan though I don't stand in the north terrace preaching it. He's not the worst Ayr player I've seen and likeliness is, we will see much much worse over time.

He did well today and his goal was great. 3rd choice, maybe but it's good to have someone like that when like just now, players are missing.

There was a period last season where McGinty was costing us a goal a game in a god awful team. He became a lightning rod for fury. Including mine to the point where I thought giving him a renewal was a mistake. Happy to see I've been proved wrong tbh.

This season he has been largely fine, as someone else said he's a solid contributor in the same way Aero was.

He's also the third choice centre half. If Frankie and Kirk are fit they start.

Edited by Trogdor

Certainly no fan of McGinty when he signed and for last season, but this season he has been solid and deserving of his place. Maybe all the Hoppyball has been coached out of him now but I wouldn't complain if we got him signed up for another season. 

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There was a period last season where McGinty was costing us a goal a game in a god awful team. He became a lightning rod for fury. Including mine to the point where I thought giving him a renewal was a mistake. Happy to see I've been proved wrong tbh.

This season he has been largely fine, as someone else said he's a solid contributor in the same way Aero was.

He's also the third choice centre half. If Frankie and Kirk are fit they start.

With everyone fit it’s Reading that drops out for me. That’s how much McGinty has went up in my estimation, as well as how far backwards Reading has went. Ideally we just get in a new full back though.

2 minutes ago, stevep56 said:

Are the guys that shout abuse at McGinty, Reading, Ashford, etc. really Ayr supporters?   Not only can the abuse demoralise the Ayr players but it probably encourages the opposition.   I just don't understand why folk do it.   

Who's shouting abuse?

2 hours ago, Mod1967 said:

We desperately desperately need quality attacker's, I know people will jump on and protect McKenzie and Ashford, but in all honesty they're absolutely nowhere near it, miles and miles away actually and it's game after game Ashford especially is stinking. 

I'd have preferred to have seen Bryden come on. Yes hes still raw but he will run and hassle the opposition. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

With everyone fit it’s Reading that drops out for me. That’s how much McGinty has went up in my estimation, as well as how far backwards Reading has went. Ideally we just get in a new full back though.

Fair comment.

I would give Ecrepont a go at left back. I didn't think Reading was great today either. When did he last put a cross in or beat a man? I assume it's a confidence issue as it cannot be ability. He's done it before! A very strange loss of form.

I think it’s pretty obvious we need another forward to play along side Dipo. He’s doing all the work himself to get into scoring positions. Yes we have many attack minded players, but it’s not working. We haven’t scored a proper team goal since Raith on 3rd December, and we haven’t scored a goal from open play since Partick on 17th December. 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I'd have preferred to have seen Bryden come on. Yes hes still raw but he will run and hassle the opposition. 

I don’t see how that is any more than what Ashford/McKenzie bring…

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Fair comment.

I would give Ecrepont a go at left back. I didn't think Reading was great today either. When did he last put a cross in or beat a man? I assume it's a confidence issue as it cannot be ability. He's done it before! A very strange loss of form.

I think I would like to bring someone in and get Ecrepont out on loan to league one to see what level he is actually at. 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

This in a nutshell.  When Dempsey is trying to place the ball about 5 times before he can hit a penalty and folk are shouting that he needs to hit it quicker then you know the game is a farce.   It's 2 points dropped probably, but a better result than Morton losing at Hamilton so all in all, take it.

The end of January will be pretty positive player wise, I'm absolutely certain of that.   Work is being done. 

A few folk in the stand screaming for the ref to hold the ball whilst he took it. Mental 🤣