The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He was hot and cold last season but never got a fair crack under Hopkin or Duffy. He was on the verge of packing it in and going back to Ireland before the Ginger Fraud fucked off. Bullen came in and didn’t really take to him. Eventually he got back in the team for the final few games and did really well. He’s not really the quickest imo but he’s direct and manages to get past defenders. His biggest attribute is his crossing though. He can dig out a cross from anywhere and they’re usually pretty accurate. Our third goal against Dundee on Friday was a brilliant finish from Akinyemi but O’Connor didn’t get nearly enough credit for managing to get a cross in with two defenders backing him near enough into the corner flag. He’s at his best on the right as a proper winger who can get balls into the box. From memory that’s what Mullin was like at Ross County so Bullen clearly wants to play that way. We only have two wingers at the club and I’ve said I’d rather sign a third than go for an out and out 10 when we don’t play with that kind of player. The issue would be how much game time Mullin expects.

Mullin sounds fairly similar then, he's quite quick and likes to run in behind as well though. He was once described by Hopkin as the player with the best delivery in Scotland :D Can take a man on as well but you'd imagine playing time is the only stumbling block there

Mullin sounds fairly similar then, he's quite quick and likes to run in behind as well though. He was once described by Hopkin as the player with the best delivery in Scotland [emoji3] Can take a man on as well but you'd imagine playing time is the only stumbling block there

If David Hopkin woke me up in the middle of the night and told me my house was on fire I’d tell him to f**k off and go back to sleep. Man rambles all sorts of shite.

He did score two worldies against us for Ross County when he played for them.

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If David Hopkin woke me up in the middle of the night and told me my house was on fire I’d tell him to f**k off and go back to sleep. Man rambles all sorts of shite.

He did score two worldies against us for Ross County when he played for them.

"Your house is a wee bit on fire because of the flames but maybe if you lock your bedroom door and put seven defenders in front of the door it won't get in here".

"Your house is a wee bit on fire because of the flames but maybe if you lock your bedroom door and put seven defenders in front of the door it won't get in here".

7? Fucking 7? Nah, stick wee Nick McAllister in as a right winger just to be safe.

I’ve heard stories about the fat c**t about stuff that happened at Ayr that would make your piss boil. A complete w****r.

14 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

O/T comment but since its late and there's a fair few posters about.....

What next for Jack Ross?....its kinda spectacular is it not?

I have never rated him, when we were fighting relegation, he signed a whole new squad at Christmas and just squeaked safety thanks to John Hughes being mental at Raith and us having no money and Gary Harkins. He won the league the following year, in a year much like this one where literally anyone could win it, but he did spend a fortune. 

Sunderland was a poisoned chalice, Hibs, he was unspectacular but reasonably competent.

He took over at Dundee United late in the summer, in a window it has proven to be difficult to sign players, signed guys who are either finished like Fletcher or guys like Sibbald who aren't top 6 players, He was a good month behind other teams in preparation for the season. I think he should have had another month anyway to see if he could improve things. 

That being said, you can't survive the level of defeats they have had and the performances they have put in. Hopkin should have gone after half a dozen games. 

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

7? Fucking 7? Nah, stick wee Nick McAllister in as a right winger just to be safe.

I’ve heard stories about the fat c**t about stuff that happened at Ayr that would make your piss boil. A complete w****r.

Well spill then, can't be making statements like that and not sharing with everyone.

Well spill then, can't be making statements like that and not sharing with everyone.

Apparently tried to get the catering staff sacked and replaced with his own people and when this wasn’t backed by Smith it was used as a reason for why the players weren’t performing. He’s big into the whole veggie diets and is a vegetarian himself. Think most professional footballers will tell you that you’ll struggle to have enough energy on a no meat diet.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I have never rated him, when we were fighting relegation, he signed a whole new squad at Christmas and just squeaked safety thanks to John Hughes being mental at Raith and us having no money and Gary Harkins. He won the league the following year, in a year much like this one where literally anyone could win it, but he did spend a fortune. 

Sunderland was a poisoned chalice, Hibs, he was unspectacular but reasonably competent.

He took over at Dundee United late in the summer, in a window it has proven to be difficult to sign players, signed guys who are either finished like Fletcher or guys like Sibbald who aren't top 6 players, He was a good month behind other teams in preparation for the season. I think he should have had another month anyway to see if he could improve things. 

That being said, you can't survive the level of defeats they have had and the performances they have put in. Hopkin should have gone after half a dozen games. 

There's something that stings that bit more..when its a European hounding (by that I mean for fitba viewers across Europe to witness) ...I think it probably takes more out of the team and manager as opposed to a hounding..lets say..from the gruesome twosome.

That said...I fully expected Ross  to resign......including Alkmaar game /2 league games/Celtic game........23 goals conceded. Cant come back from that.

Why did it happen?....I concur with your thoughts re Fletcher......Mulgrew and Tony whitshisname (Ive forgotten..🤔) are past Premier capability.

Personally...I would take Craig Sibbald...always rated him.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Apparently tried to get the catering staff sacked and replaced with his own people and when this wasn’t backed by Smith it was used as a reason for why the players weren’t performing. He’s big into the whole veggie diets and is a vegetarian himself. Think most professional footballers will tell you that you’ll struggle to have enough energy on a no meat diet.

I vaguely remember Hopkin saying something about one of his biggest achievements at Livingston being that he changed the menu in the canteen.  If he really was just a front man for Martindale, then that might actually be true.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well trying to get the staff sacked is a dick move, I'm sure they could have adapted if it was that important to him.

Just now, Nelson said:

I vaguely remember Hopkin saying something about one of his biggest achievements at Livingston being that he changed the menu in the canteen.  If he really was just a front man for Martindale, then that might actually be true.

It's pretty well known that the "success" that Hopkin had at Livi was not down to him.

His subsequent jobs would back that up.

Well trying to get the staff sacked is a dick move, I'm sure they could have adapted if it was that important to him.

I’m fairly certain any catering staff at a football club will have a plan that they’ll have agreed with the manager and any other relevant staff members I.e fitness coaches etc. Think it was just a cheap way of passing the buck and blaming others.

From what I was told every single other person at the club was to blame before David Hopkin. He did nothing wrong and thinks he’s blameless to the whole thing.

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Are you guys sayin  Martindale and Hoppy didnt get on over a canteen thing? 😂... ah love Scottish fitba!

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

WTF did Hoppy live on, avocados and coconuts? Guy looks like he barely steps out the chippy.

1 hour ago, bazka6 said:

Thought it was a joke when someone suggested the 3rd strip was due to our ‘relationship’ with Burnley. Not sure what the fans have got out of it.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-launch-new-third-27861162.amp

Are we having to court Burnley to try and get some players on loan? Guess we're not wearing the trousers in this relationship