Jump to content

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread


Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The biggest surprise for me was how good McKenzie was as a striker today. At least in the first half. Looked the perfect foil for Dipo but he won’t score many. Absolutely wasted out wide but I think he can offer something through the middle when he’s used as a target man.

Mitchell Lawson shouldn’t have been dropped though. Accies had zero pace in defence and he could really have taken advantage of that. O’Connor is decent but doesn’t have his turn of pace and isn’t half as good on the left as he is on the right. Until we get a couple of new recruits I’d keep the starting 11 as it is with the exception of JML for O’Connor.

McKenzie played well first half, although should have scored and he is a definite upgrade on Bryden. Still think we need better as a consistent starter though. I’m still hoping for a 4-3-3 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm just a happy clapper but I really think we are an attacking midfielder and a 2nd striker away from a really good team, glad big Dipo is on a two year deal if he keeps this form up I can see teams sniffing about him next summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We will be absolutely fine this year which is refreshing after the last couple of seasons. You can see the team has been conditioned to run and run all day and it’s good to see Bullen is getting his way across.

Akinyemi is like a carbon copy of Adeloye for me. Creates chances for himself, holds up the ball pretty well but just cannot finish. The one he put onto the Somerset Road was probably worse than the penalty.

Dropping JML was the wrong option as he is definitely the most creative. 4-4-2 with JML and O’Connor wide with McKenzie and Akinyemi up front is what I’d like to see providing one of the two wide players are comfortable enough on the right.

f**k all wrong with Albinson and McAdams has done nothing in an Ayr shirt to warrant a place over him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

We will be absolutely fine this year which is refreshing after the last couple of seasons. You can see the team has been conditioned to run and run all day and it’s good to see Bullen is getting his way across.

Akinyemi is like a carbon copy of Adeloye for me. Creates chances for himself, holds up the ball pretty well but just cannot finish. The one he put onto the Somerset Road was probably worse than the penalty.

Dropping JML was the wrong option as he is definitely the most creative. 4-4-2 with JML and O’Connor wide with McKenzie and Akinyemi up front is what I’d like to see providing one of the two wide players are comfortable enough on the right.

f**k all wrong with Albinson and McAdams has done nothing in an Ayr shirt to warrant a place over him.

I think there are similarities between Dipo and Adeloye, but Tomi probably better as a focal point for others to play off whereas Dipo is looking to run it behind or if he does come deep is constantly looking to turn and get at people. Dipo is a little like Nouble lite and has that chaos factor and must be a nightmare to play against. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ayrfix said:

I'm surprised there has not been more mention of Muirheads equaliser. It was a belter. If we could get a decent finisher to partner Dipo we would be fine, IMHO.

Murdoch*

And I agree, been pleasantly surprised by the first 3 games in the league. Not completely shite. We're nothing too special but I think we might be okay in all likelihood.

Edited by AuAl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Murdoch*
And I agree, been pleasantly surprised by the first 3 games in the league. Not completely shite. We're nothing too special but I think we might be okay in all likelihood.

Aye this for me. I think over the season we’ll be very inconsistent. The plus for me is that we seem to have a coherent way of playing and very recognisable strengths and weaknesses. In the last few seasons you’d struggle to identify anything we’ve been good at. The issues aren’t simply going to sort themselves with two signings as there’s other players that won’t be replaced that are both limited and inconsistent. No doubt McGinty will go through an iffy spell and our full backs may well drop in form. You can say the same for all areas of the team. It’s very well known though that we need another body up front and a more creative player in midfield. If we can get that then I’ll be chuffed.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least we didn't blow it in terms of the crowd size that was there today. Usually when the attendance is higher we have a tendency to put in a display that makes them not want to come back, but it was fairly entertaining today so a few might be back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:


Aye this for me. I think over the season we’ll be very inconsistent. The plus for me is that we seem to have a coherent way of playing and very recognisable strengths and weaknesses. In the last few seasons you’d struggle to identify anything we’ve been good at. The issues aren’t simply going to sort themselves with two signings as there’s other players that won’t be replaced that are both limited and inconsistent. No doubt McGinty will go through an iffy spell and our full backs may well drop in form. You can say the same for all areas of the team. It’s very well known though that we need another body up front and a more creative player in midfield. If we can get that then I’ll be chuffed.

Yup, can see a lot of games like today this season. In points it may be quite frustrating through inconsistency, but after the last two seasons I'll happily take that.

Aye it's good to see that we at least have an idea of what we can and can't do. As you say, it's been a while since we looked like anything other than a clueless rabble of limited players who try hard.

Also there was a good crowd in today, a good vibe about the place with the weather and all. If we play the way we have so far in league (first half against Queens Park aside) we should be able to get a win at Cove IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This league again looks pretty week. Get an attacking/creative midfielder such as Scott Allan or Stephen Kelly and a striker such as Ugwu and I don’t think we’ll be too far away from the playoffs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This league again looks pretty week. Get an attacking/creative midfielder such as Scott Allan or Stephen Kelly and a striker such as Ugwu and I don’t think we’ll be too far away from the playoffs. 

Weak 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think i've seen enough to judge that we should be okay and as others say probably a premiership attacker on loan away from becoming really good in the final 3rd because at times today the decision making in the final 3rd/final ball was really poor.

Not to be doom and gloom but what has also become apparant already is we're heavily reliant on Dipo up top, if he gets injured or suspended we're fecked...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

As long as they paint 'F.T.K' on my forehead, I'll ignore Somerset Boab.

IMG-20220813-WA0000.jpg

Saw you on the NT today 😜

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Accies first goal was a stunning finish.  Quite ludicrous to blame the keeper.  Don’t think he did much wrong at the 2nd either - it was a good delivery over a crowded box to the back post.  Really poor defending from us, though it did look like there was a push on the defender.  

Otherwise, today just confirmed what we already knew - we need a striker with some pace and movement who can play off Dipo plus a bit more quality in the wide areas as none of the existing options look very convincing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AyrAtlanta said:

f**k all wrong with Albinson and McAdams has done nothing in an Ayr shirt to warrant a place over him.

His performance at Killie away? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

McAdams is a very good stop stopper (apart from Dunfermline away) and is capable of stunning saves, Albiston is more vocal and better at the playing out from the back, both are suspect at crosses, don't command their box all that well and could work on distribution from goal kicks. Personally I think McAdams is the slightly better it's close.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly thought McAdams was easily going to be a top flight keeper after his season at Morton and I was desperate for us to sign him. Seems to have not kicked on from that initial promise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both goals looked like a mirror of the two we lost to Queens park last week. 

We started well and could have been a couple up in the first 10 minutes. Hamilton scored the first time they were up the park. 

The game was shite from Hamilton scoring to them scoring again, we barely left our half and started lumping long balls, it was almost inevitable they were going to score. 

After Hamiltons goal we sparked back to life again, a draw was probably fair in the end.

I think we are near the end of the Nick McCallister experiment, thought he was very poor today, Musonda strolled the game. Ashford was very effective today as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...