The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

There were times during the McCall era I started to get excited about the game on Saturday round about Wednesday. For the last couple of years I've had to drag myself out the house, The group of folk I regularly went with has dropped from 6-7 to 2, all scunnered off coming back every week. 

McCalls team was made up of youth players, players freed from premier teams and players that played for us in league 2. Jamie Adams was playing for a lowland league club. So it is nothing to do with budgets, it is about the good football and about winning games. We are currently providing neither. 

Totally agree, the players and style just fell into place and at times we were a joy to watch. but it wasn't all sweetness and light either. Ultimately we only managed 4th and I think people tend to forget about the 3 months in the winter where we could barely buy a point and were dreadful at times.

I do agree though, when we were good, we were REALLY good.

I don't quite think alot of you got my point..... /either that or don't like hearing the truth.... 

The reason we are struggling to attract better player is down to money.... 

Other teams even raith who are also playing terribly have sold 1500 season tickets.... Therefore will have more money available.... We can't moan and groan about missing out on players when we don't have the money. 

Theoretically ayr should have much larger support.... Due to big catchment area but we don't..... 

Sadly too many support the old firm... And or don't go cos we are shite... 

I think the board and manager are trying there best with budget we have..... Think we just need to be more realistic.... 

And to those shooting me down for calling out the fans a tad.... Do you go to the games?.... Could be just where I sit..... But when we lose a goal.... I hear.... "Mcginty your fucking rubbish, get to f**k" "you don't have a fucking clue Bullen".... And so on.... 

So your agreeing such a tirade of abuse Is helpful and encourages the players??? 

OK then

One thing a will say we keep our attendances at a fairly even level and got a strong hardcore fan base. During our dark days down the bottom of league 1 under mark shanks and Connor we still would get 1200 at least and it’s basically just stayed that way.

Teams like Arbroath it’s just a cycle they will drop away and the attendances will be back 6/700 but they have seen a really big increase the last couple of year. The only way we would say a major increase if we were in a title fight with a 1/4 of the season to go or promoted. That day we got over 5000 for a play off game against Stranraer I always find crazy.

19 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

One thing a will say we keep our attendances at a fairly even level and got a strong hardcore fan base. During our dark days down the bottom of league 1 under mark shanks and Connor we still would get 1200 at least and it’s basically just stayed that way.

Teams like Arbroath it’s just a cycle they will drop away and the attendances will be back 6/700 but they have seen a really big increase the last couple of year. The only way we would say a major increase if we were in a title fight with a 1/4 of the season to go or promoted. That day we got over 5000 for a play off game against Stranraer I always find crazy.

While I agree our core support is relatively consistent and we tend to travel well if you take away crowds as a percentage of home support, those figures aren't the memory I have of the dark days at the bottom of league 1. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember crowds down in the 500/600 when things were at there worst. Maybe that was just solely during the Roberts era because of the toxicity around the club at the time.

4 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

A think we had one midweek game it might have actually been against Arbroath and it was like 800 and that was regarded as one of our lowest ever but I’m confident it was always over a 1000 most weeks

His final game had about 650 at it in December, I think that was a protest more than anything else as his position had been made pretty much untenable by Halloween. 

1 hour ago, Hawk89 said:

There lies the problem of the past few years. That League 1 winners and Championship squad that follows was bursting with players who would get you offer your proverbial seat. It was a young hungry team with points to prove, with a mix of experienced old heads (any one of whom could be club captain) and a couple of thugs for protection. It was never going to be an easy act to follow. However, we have witnessed the same failings in every squad ever since that appear to be glaringly obvious to everyone bar the managers. 

It has gone from how on earth did we lose that game to how on earth will we win a game.  There is still time in this window, we also haven't seen Bangala play yet. Early signs aren't great but, that could all change with our next signing. There is still a month of the ordinary window left and, correct me if I'm wrong, we have until the end of September for loans and free agents?

we can sign free agents up to end of March I believe, emergency 90 day loans the same i think but may be wrong, but definitely outwith the window though

Interesting debate on season ticket numbers. At last some are facing up to your core problem. The new Chairman is busting a gut to whip up some enthusiasm, but has had zilch response from the fan base. People wanting good signings in before they’re willing to commit like he has. Ever heard of chicken and egg? They need the funds and your commitment. Ayr and Kilmarnock, almost exact same populations, although with Prestwick, Ayr area far bigger. 4700 v 1000 season tickets. And before you say it, we sold over 4000 AFTER we were relegated in a miserable season. Tickets already sold for Saturday? 7000. You would expect a gulf, but not that big. Shocking comparison with Arbroath, with half the population. I wouldn’t blame Smith if he walked. 

38 minutes ago, honestly united said:

we can sign free agents up to end of March I believe, emergency 90 day loans the same i think but may be wrong, but definitely outwith the window though

This is great when looking to freshen up the squad etc, however we're in a position right now where we've only got 1 experienced striker and no attacking Midfielders, we NEED players ASAP and certainly can't be waiting a matter of weeks and months for these signings when the league season starts in two days !!

I'm sure the arrival of Bangala will help matters (assuming it's imminent), but that still doesn't help our limited attacking options in any way whatsoever I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, AuAl said:

How much time must this guy spend looking at the Ayr thread waiting for an opportunity to have a crowd w**k. 

Very very strange behaviour.

This is what happens when, by his own admission, he has zero friends and his wife doesn't let him out.

What an existence.

1 hour ago, Rugbypark said:

Interesting debate on season ticket numbers. At last some are facing up to your core problem. The new Chairman is busting a gut to whip up some enthusiasm, but has had zilch response from the fan base. People wanting good signings in before they’re willing to commit like he has. Ever heard of chicken and egg? They need the funds and your commitment. Ayr and Kilmarnock, almost exact same populations, although with Prestwick, Ayr area far bigger. 4700 v 1000 season tickets. And before you say it, we sold over 4000 AFTER we were relegated in a miserable season. Tickets already sold for Saturday? 7000. You would expect a gulf, but not that big. Shocking comparison with Arbroath, with half the population. I wouldn’t blame Smith if he walked. 

Sad to say I agree with you sad that there is such a differemce in support when you look at it this way...... 

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Having said that, the increased costs of the electricity for the floodlights as an example would be interesting to know and may indeed make early kick offs in the Autumn and Winter months not such a bad idea at all.

Summer football anybody ?

Each to there own regarding season tickets . As folk say doesn’t make you a better fan . I can afford to buy one but can pay at gate at every game . Only real gripe I’ve got is I think the club to a small degree divides the fans on this with events for people who can afford  to buy a season ticket 

6 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Each to there own regarding season tickets . As folk say doesn’t make you a better fan . I can afford to buy one but can pay at gate at every game . Only real gripe I’ve got is I think the club to a small degree divides the fans on this with events for people who can afford  to buy a season ticket 

With our e-ticket system now in place there is a no reason they couldn't do a points system. I.e. 18 points automatically for anyone that buys a season ticket, 1 point per home ticket bought on PAYG. If they worked on an average over 2 or 3 season and set a bar for events then it would be more inclusive for people who PATG for most if not all of the season. 

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

As annoying as the k****e trolls are they're right....

Even if they are, the club has done almost nothing to make purchasing one either affordable or attractive.  

They already offer a half season ticket but only for the 2nd half of the season. 

If you can't/won't offer a facility where they can be paid up then maybe trying something else if you are setting increased targets.  £285 is a lot of money in one go for many people and half of that twice might be more realistic.  

31 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Sad to say I agree with you sad that there is such a differemce in support when you look at it this way...... 

Yip...100% Rugbypark.. I am old enough to remember when Ayr had a better support than Kilmarnock with regular gates of over 6000...the Old Firm becoming fashionable helped dilute that number as I'm sure it did Killie support... but our previous lack of ambition combined with poor backing of SAC has certainly contributed... the board / management are doing their best to interact with the community we just need a return for their efforts... it's understood cash is tight in current climate and maybe a few good results is all it will take to get numbers up... here's hoping...or we could end up back in the doldrums...

Edited by Bruadair