The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

You can if you are Rangers sending a player out on loan with a specific remit

I'd hardly say it's "development" when dropping down a league.

I'd call that regression.

43 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Using the same logic, so was Duffy and Hopkin, but do we REALLY want to get into that ??

Bullen hasn’t done anything yet to prove he’s better than either Duffy or Hopkin. 

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

You can if you are Rangers sending a player out on loan with a specific remit

Perhaps Rangers feel more comfortable using a more experienced manager. However, that doesn’t mean that they are better managers. Trial by social media dictates that a manager is given no time to prove himself. The evidence for this is the fact that judgement on Lee Bullen, in comparison to Coyle and McGlynn, is already that he’s an inferior manager. Given the choice of Coyle, McGlynn or Bullen for the Ayr job, I would’ve definitely gone for Bullen. Lee Bullen needs to be given a chance, with supporters being…supportive. 

17 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd hardly say it's "development" when dropping down a league.

I'd call that regression.

Hmm. I wonder if Rangers have sent players to any of the clubs and perhaps have some previous experience of how they develop

6 minutes ago, Cutty Old said:

Perhaps Rangers feel more comfortable using a more experienced manager. However, that doesn’t mean that they are better managers. Trial by social media dictates that a manager is given no time to prove himself. The evidence for this is the fact that judgement on Lee Bullen, in comparison to Coyle and McGlynn, is already that he’s an inferior manager. Given the choice of Coyle, McGlynn or Bullen for the Ayr job, I would’ve definitely gone for Bullen. Lee Bullen needs to be given a chance, with supporters being…supportive. 

Rangers will be looking at this on a 6/12 month window whilst you perhaps will give Bullen more time to learn the game. As it stands currently Rangers are correct but nothing to say Bullen won't come good in the future

1 minute ago, AyrExile said:

Rangers will be looking at this on a 6/12 month window whilst you perhaps will give Bullen more time to learn the game. As it stands currently Rangers are correct but nothing to say Bullen won't come good in the future

So how come we got the boy from Arsenal ?

I’m not really interested in comparing managers, since they are inevitably at different stages of their careers and working with different budgets.  The real yardstick for Bullen is results on the park.  By that measure, the jury is absolutely out on Bullen.  

In his near 8 months in charge, there has been no visible improvement that I can see.  To put it in context, Mark Kerr effectively only got 10 or so months in charge if you recognise that the 6 months of lockdown through 2020 were basically a write off.  Personally I think we pulled the trigger on Kerr too quick, but I think a lot of people (including the chairman perhaps) didn’t think he should have got the job in the first place and couldn’t really get past that when he hit a rough patch of results.   Hopkin and Duffy got even less time, correctly I’d suggest.

That being said, I just don’t think anyone at Somerset can contemplate having to confront another failed managerial appointment, so we really need to try and make this work.  To that end, we clearly need 2 or 3 additional attacking options.  If that doesn’t materialise, I can only foresee one outcome for Bullen.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

So how come we got the boy from Arsenal ?

Maybe they think we are a great club to develop the player which is a good endorsement. Rangers dealt with us last season and these players didn’t come and have went elsewhere. If the main driving factor should be the quality of the league perhaps this then raises a few questions? 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Maybe they think we are a great club to develop the player which is a good endorsement. Rangers dealt with us last season and these players didn’t come and have went elsewhere. If the main driving factor should be the quality of the league perhaps this then raises a few questions? 

Well, history has told us that with Kelly and Doohan both old firm clubs decided it would be better for the next stage of their development to play in the higher league, hence they went to Ross County.

Using the same logic, one would have expected Kennedy to have either remained at Championship level or stepped up to the Premier as opposed to dropping down the way to a club in L1 who only finished mid table the previous year.

I guess only the coaches and player will know the real reasons and we're only surmising, that said, we don't even know for a fact if we were indeed chasing Kai Kennedy.

For what it's worth (probably not a lot) the rumours I've heard is that Griffiths is training with Livi and Bullen is desperate to get him to Ayr and that Robbie Crawford is likely to sign a deal at Cappielow.

Other than that, it's all pretty quiet.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Griffiths is training with Livi and Bullen is desperate to get him to Ayr and that Robbie Crawford is likely to sign a deal at Cappielow.

Would annoy me if Crawford turned up at Morton, much better than that. He could turn up at Somerset and get a deal in my head 🤔

Griffiths isn't good enough for livi. Be another Anthony Stokes imo.

2 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Would annoy me if Crawford turned up at Morton, much better than that. He could turn up at Somerset and get a deal in my head 🤔

Griffiths isn't good enough for livi. Be another Anthony Stokes imo.

I think he's only training with them to keep up his fitness and isn't seriously looking for a contract there.

I just hope to God that we get a signing or two within the next couple of days as it's a bit of a disaster beginning the new League season with only 1 experienced striker and no attacking Midfield options.

I've been very supportive so far and still expect that the club will deliver, however it IS getting a bit close now for comfort !!

With Bullen talking about how important a quick start to the league was at the North Stand unveiling, to be in this position with not much experience in the squad is disappointing and worrying, especially given the League Cup form and results.

13 hours ago, Death in Vegas said:

There’s something seriously wrong that we’ve seemed to miss out on every Scottish player we have went in for or when there is more than one Scottish club in for them.

Wouldn’t believe half of the names on here who have turned us down 

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

There is clear evidence that Coyle and McGlynn are better managers than Bullen.

With the number of year experience they have at this level and above I would be really concerned if they were not any better , were they as good after only around 5 months into their first managerial position ?