The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

Ok, but we are supposed to be better than any League Two side. These are the games where there should be a margin for error. Every league match this season will be against a team that's much better than Annan.

Of course we are supposed to be  better , but if you read my post I stated that Annan were not the better team  last night as someone else stated , not defending us in any way( as we don’t look like scoring )  but are St Johnstone and QOS not supposed to be better than Annan if you want to look at it that way 

Edited by Finlay21

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I don’t believe that’s the case at all and if it is then that’s poor. We had five games prior to the league cup starting. 

It's also wholly irresponsible given the prize money at stake. As I've highlighted many times we signed Liam Smith from progressing in the League Cup.

9 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

No , they switched from 3 up top to play out for a draw in the second half , took off 2 forwards and brought on a defender and a defensive midfielder , they were no better organised than us , 

No they didn't, they took off two forwards and brought on a forward and an attacking midfielder. In the 82nd minute they took off a winger for a central midfielder, and only actually brought on a defender, a full back in a straight swap, in the 90th minute.

Will agree Annan played for a draw in the second half though, and obviously succeeded. With 10 men. Against a full time team from two leagues above.

17 minutes ago, DG.Roma said:

No they didn't, they took off two forwards and brought on a forward and an attacking midfielder. In the 82nd minute they took off a winger for a central midfielder, and only actually brought on a defender, a full back in a straight swap, in the 90th minute.

Will agree Annan played for a draw in the second half though, and obviously succeeded. With 10 men. Against a full time team from two leagues above.

If they were forwards they are the most defensive forwards I have seen , non of them got in a shot or inside the box apart from the corner that resulted in the penalty ,

5 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Could you imagine the Auchinleck game with the team now?

Oaft!

Funnily enough I had some strange Talbot vibes last night with all the black and gold kicking about.

1 hour ago, Mod1967 said:

Please no criticism the self appointed club watch dogs are getting testy 

You are quite possibly the most boring poster on this forum and that is saying something. 

Really fed up of all the "but its glorified friendlies" talk on here and the SRE about these league cup games. It's a chance to progress and get good gate money. Look at the Dundee Utd game last season. Go further and you might get Rangers or Celtic which would be a TV pick plus a sell out (at somerset) or a very good cheque if its played at their ground. Absolute wild take from some folk who see these games as unimportant 

13 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Really fed up of all the "but its glorified friendlies" talk on here and the SRE about these league cup games. It's a chance to progress and get good gate money. Look at the Dundee Utd game last season. Go further and you might get Rangers or Celtic which would be a TV pick plus a sell out (at somerset) or a very good cheque if its played at their ground. Absolute wild take from some folk who see these games as unimportant 

It's a very good point tbf and we have done well in getting out the group stages over the years. At times when we were struggling for cash it got us an extra player into the squad. Whilst i don't rate the results as a judge of future league performance we should absolutely be trying to win every game and bank the cash 

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hard to believe you actually read my post and thought I was talking about league cup results.

So if you're talking about squad quality: half the teams in this division, that is, six teams, have absolutely no goalscorers? Six other teams in this league have defenses that would enthusiastically ship goals every 30 minutes against lower league opposition? 50% of teams in the Scottish Championship regard the middle third of the pitch as some sort of crocodile-infested swamp in which to never set foot?

23 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Whilst i don't rate the results as a judge of future league performance

So here's the problem. Positive performances at this stage are not indicative of future success, because they've mostly against inferior and unready teams. But negative performances at this stage are absolutely indicative of future failure, because if you cannot beat literal farmers and fishermen with your own first team not once but twice in succession then there's something dreadfully wrong with how you've gone about your business. Furthermore, the style of the games thus far has been absolutely identical to the failure seen since Kerr left: the team has two modes, either playing out shit, usually goalless draws or getting rogered senseless.

52 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yep, they're competitive games where every fan should be fucked off if you lose.  Friendlies are when you're sat on a sun-drenched grass terrace behind a goal at some HL ground (LL/WOS for you guys) with a close eye on the mystery trialist(s) you have on the wing and in goals. 

9 minutes ago, Thumper said:

So here's the problem. Positive performances at this stage are not indicative of future success, because they've mostly against inferior and unready teams. But negative performances at this stage are absolutely indicative of future failure, because if you cannot beat literal farmers and fishermen with your own first team not once but twice in succession then there's something dreadfully wrong with how you've gone about your business. Furthermore, the style of the games thus far has been absolutely identical to the failure seen since Kerr left: the team has two modes, either playing out shit, usually goalless draws or getting rogered senseless.

So from that summary you are assuming Ayr is a ready team and finished in the transfer market? I have followed this tournament for years and tried to work out league betting from it. Compared to others it throws up ridiculous results and many teams take a different trajectory once the league starts. You might well be correct about Ayrs performance to date but i long gave up assessing teams on the strength of these games

42 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

So from that summary you are assuming Ayr is a ready team and finished in the transfer market?

As a better you surely have a decent grasp of statistics. How often is it that clubs completely transform both their playing staff and their tactics within a fortnight of the start of a season?

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

So if you're talking about squad quality: half the teams in this division, that is, six teams, have absolutely no goalscorers? Six other teams in this league have defenses that would enthusiastically ship goals every 30 minutes against lower league opposition? 50% of teams in the Scottish Championship regard the middle third of the pitch as some sort of crocodile-infested swamp in which to never set foot?

I think you’d be very hard pushed to identify any goal scorers in the squads of Morton, Raith, Cove, Hamilton or Arbroath. 

Of those teams there, only Arbroath have a defence worth speaking about. Those teams might not have had the same results as us but (Arbroath aside) none of them have defences better than ours personnel wise. 

And aye, I think you’ll find the vast majority of teams in this league resort to utterly tragic long ball football at some point. This league isn’t exactly renowned for silky, Tika Tika football. I think over the piece so far, we’ve at least tried to play football with the majority of attacks breaking down when it gets to the front line. 

1 hour ago, United1973 said:

Bottom

line is we are garbage no more excuse plain and simple garbage . No experienced coaches around the club at this level 

I absolutely fail to see what an experienced back room staff would accomplish here. It’s the same shite being trotted out since the days of Mark Kerr. 

You cannot force coaches upon a manager who doesn’t want them. He made an attempt to bring his own guys in. For different reasons, they declined. The issues we are having right now would not be solved by employing another dinosaur at the club. 

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

As a better you surely have a decent grasp of statistics. How often is it that clubs completely transform both their playing staff and their tactics within a fortnight of the start of a season?

But logically he is correct. You claim you can discount success and count failure but they are opposite sides of the same coin. If your Cup successes turn to League failure then - unless the rest of your League were all Cup successes - the failures must be improving. It's a zero sum game.

For sure, no fan is going to happy at what we have seen thus far but I'm not going to take a hell of a lot of notice unless and until we are a couple of months into the League. If we are bottom three then, well then I will join in (some) of the criticism. But those writing off some players on the basis of a couple of games is ludicrous, as is calling for managerial heads to roll before the League season as even kicked off.

But that's football fans for you.