The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

We should should should be able to manage a final 20 mins against a part time League 2 team on a Wednesday night, who are down to ten men  . The fact we couldn’t smacks of a lack of on field leadership . This issue has been haunting us since Kerr stopped playing .

A second striker is an absolute must . Just not enough goals in the current squad .

The continual mistake culprits need to be moved on as quickly as possible .

As for the rest of the season , we need to stick together and support the team . Ironically Arbroath is about the best opposition we could have hoped for in our first game . Nothing fancy just a well organised hard working team . We must match them and take our chances when they come along . Which takes us right back to the two/three players inbound , we desperately need leadership and goals . 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

The only positive is that half the teams in this league are actually in the same boat

Half the teams in this league are fourth in their League Cup groups, winless save for an administrative penalty?

The only clubs in the second tier currently in a worse position than Ayr are a) infamous jobbers Morten, who have a game in hand, and b) moneybags Cove, whose group looks like the Group of Death next to the powderpuff selection Ayr got.

Got on the plane and turned my data off at 90+ minutes thinking, “Brilliant, surely that’s a win”… Just landed at Edinburgh and turned my data back on… ffs man this is getting beyond grim. Bullet for Bullen by October I reckon.

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Queens Park, Hamilton and possibly Morton at a push.

Even then, I don't think those 3 are as bad as us, just maybe at near the same 

Admittedly I'm a accies fan but I honestly don't think we're in as bad as a state as people are making out. Don't think Queens Park will be anyway near relegation either. Morton will and are currently the team I think will finish bottom don't think there squads good enough. You lot I see probably being 9th and going into a very hard playoff due to the high level of league 1 teams this season. 

10 hours ago, diege said:

Cmon lets be a little bit fair here with the facts

He's got more than 2 wins

He won at Inverness and against Raith away, but agree results against teams around us havent been up to it

2 wins at home.  

Trying hard to reserve judgement until the end of the cuo group and the league starts. The form in this tournament is quite often a false flag and seen many predictions end up wrong. On the evidence so far it certainly doesn't look great though

I notice a few are calling for Bullens head already and can see why anger is simmering. One point to note is that Bullen was brought in as a coach and not the manager . The remit was more about getting the squad players performing as opposed to everything else and the kitchen sink a manager normally would do. Whilst Mathie and Glendiinning aren't the public face here i've got to wonder how much influence/input they have over first team matters.

A few things point to others rather than Bullen making quite a lot of big decisions. Would a new manager have extended contracts  or continue to play many of our squad who haven't really done it. Why does a system that started with Hopkin and not really worked continue to feature so often. Bullen doesn't have an assistant yet but is that really as important where others take on part of the role. Have many U23 managers went straight into a mangers position or coach and what team do they have around them. A stream of players arriving from a certain background that doesn't currently offer a balance to the team.  Normally people bring in others they have coached/managed before as it brings a bit of stability and the known to the team.

Not making excuses for Bullen here and time will tell whether he cuts it or not. Ultimately his job is to coach and get the team winning but you can also only pish with the cock you are given. Whilst i am sure he gets input on all the decisions i doubt he can get it all his own way like a manager would. I have only ever heard Mathie getting praise and he has the luxury of facing the cameras mostly when it suits  If the fans can spot some problems then why has he allowed these to continue. Time will tell how this collegiate appraoch works but punting Bullen may not clear up all the issues in the same way emptying a 'manager' would 

Edited by AyrExile

14 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Trying hard to reserve judgement until the end of the cuo group and the league starts. The form in this tournament is quite often a false flag and seen many predictions end up wrong. On the evidence so far it certainly doesn't look great though

I notice a few are calling for Bullens head already and can see why anger is simmering. One point to note is that Bullen was brought in as a coach and not the manager . The remit was more about getting the squad players performing as opposed to everything else and the kitchen sink a manager normally would do. Whilst Mathie and Glendiinning aren't the public face here i've got to wonder how much influence/input they have over first team matters.

A few things point to others rather than Bullen making quite a lot of big decisions. Would a new manager have extended contracts  or continue to play many of our squad who haven't really done it. Why does a system that started with Hopkin and not really worked continue to feature so often. Bullen doesn't have an assistant yet but is that really as important where others take on part of the role. Have many U23 managers went straight into a mangers position or coach and what team do they have around them. A stream of players arriving from a certain background that doesn't currently offer a balance to the team.  Normally people bring in others they have coached/managed before as it brings a bit of stability and the known to the team.

Not making excuses for Bullen here and time will tell whether he cuts it or not. Ultimately his job is to coach and get the team winning but you can also only pish with the cock you are given. Whilst i am sure he gets input on all the decisions i doubt he can get it all his own way like a manager would. I have only ever heard Mathie getting praise and he has the luxury of facing the cameras mostly when it suits  If the fans can spot some problems then why has he allowed these to continue. Time will tell how this collegiate appraoch works but punting Bullen may not clear up all the issues in the same way emptying a 'manager' would 

Agreed, Mathie imo has a lot to answer for in this! Who actually signs all these players and how much input does the head coach actually have?? Ultimately Smith implemented this business model though and he’ll have to act quickly (again) if it’s not working!!

14 minutes ago, ecocme said:

Agreed, Mathie imo has a lot to answer for in this! Who actually signs all these players and how much input does the head coach actually have?? Ultimately Smith implemented this business model though and he’ll have to act quickly (again) if it’s not working!!

If a big part of this model is to discover the odd gem and sell on for a large profit to fund investment then he would need to act. Can't imagine many punching above their weight and flourishing if the wider team struggles along 

Half the teams in this league are fourth in their League Cup groups, winless save for an administrative penalty?
The only clubs in the second tier currently in a worse position than Ayr are a) infamous jobbers Morten, who have a game in hand, and b) moneybags Cove, whose group looks like the Group of Death next to the powderpuff selection Ayr got.

Hard to believe you actually read my post and thought I was talking about league cup results.

Last season, Bullen came in to take over a squad low on confidence and talent, we brought in new players and were still crap. He insisted on playing the same players, the same formation and we sunk further, relying on QOTS and Dunfermline to be worse than us. 

In the final 3 weeks he changed the formation and dropped players that should have been dropped since he came in and performances improved, we played decent football and looked dangerous going forward at times.

Over the summer he has obviously thought, I’m going back to playing the same way I originally did, with the same players that let me down the last time but this time it’ll work. 5 at the back this time, because 2 CHs making an arse of things wasn’t enough.

We have brought in players from the English equivalent of Craigmark or Kilwinning, Adeloye was a success but Gondoh wasn’t, Kenyon wasn’t and I have seen nothing from the new batch to suggest that they are going to be anything other than squad fillers. 
Smith and the club have spent a fortune developing this model and it really hasn’t worked yet. He is being let down by Folk he brought in to run things and a team of soft cowards that pull out of the most basic 50/50. 

They can go on about budgets and availability of players but the fact remains, this club has been stuck in a spiral since Cameron decided to stick rather than twist, we have lacked winners in the team, we have scored very little, had no flair or excitement in the last 2 years and clubs with a lower budget have managed it. 

Murphys Annan were a better team than us, changed the shape to match us and we did nothing until the second half to change it. We set up against league 2 Elgin with 5 at the back, we set up against league 2 Annan with 4 sitting players across the midfield.

it is f**k all to do with budgets it is about knowing how to win football matches and we really don’t know how to do that under Bullen. 

Obviously not the best start but you all know what this league is like. It’s small margins, been very happy with our start to the League Cup but it would not surprise me in the slightest to go and get gubbed 2-0 first day of the season at Somerset. 

The one thing that I did think when a few Ayr signings were being announced early on was there was a few proper unknowns. Saw one guy had played less than 30 games and he was nearly 25. 

We have had a nightmare with 2 signings like that last season, Ford and Bakare and have had numerous guys like that on trial who have overall been pretty hopeless. These guys can’t have many options when they’re moving up here, suppose on the other hand it shows how ambitious and committed they are too

The one trialist we did sign on a 6 month deal is renting a flat up here in the town so can’t fault the  dedication. 

I wouldn’t be too worried. Think the league is going to be a strange one this year. Dundee seem decent but not sure if they’re better than second half of last season Killie and nobody else really stands out. 

Think our real problem (as fans) is that while there's still time for this mess to sort itself out and win enough points to repeat the last two years, there's no talent in the squad at all.  There isn't actually anything worth watching.