The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

33 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I don't think much needs done to the main stand but depending on how much it would cost upgrading those old red seats to some nice black and white ones would look lovely and compliment the black and white seats in the new stand being built in the NT

A 100 year old building will need a decent amount of TLC. The steelwork supporting the roof will likely need replaced sooner or later.

6 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Considering the boardroom has only recently been refurbished, I wouldn't have thought so.

They aren’t telling you about the secret underground tunnel between the new north stand and the boardroom.

2 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I wonder if the wall that runs behind the sre will be upgraded. Because it makes Somerset look like a pow camp. Even a lick of paint. 

Well, watching some of the games last season was a form of punishment.

15 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Wonder if the directors box will be moved to the North Terrace?

No intention of moving directors box at moment  as the seated area in middle is for people from hospitality 

9 hours ago, mugen_power said:

Dunno, but I'm assuming the outdoor swimming pool is artistic license rather than an actually planned feature

Didn't notice that the other night, but I suspect it's meant to be a SUDS pond.

Unless we’ve got any centenarian fans who were around to watch the main stand being built in 1924 this is the most significant development at Somerset any Ayr fan still drawing breath will have witnessed. While the covering of both ends behind goals, the original and replacement floodlight installations and the family stand and current hospitality constructions were all sizeable fixed asset enhancements this trumps all of those by some margin.

It’s difficult to see how anyone could have an issue with what’s being proposed as it looks to retain the character of the North Terrace and the standing option that so many of us want for our viewing experience with cover to deal with the Scottish weather and a hospitality offering that isn’t an eyesore all included in a building that from the pictures and video appears hugely sympathetic to the existing ground.

Construction isn’t my game so I’d presumed the existing terracing would need replacing but it is Smith’s game so if he says it is still fit for purpose than that’s good enough for me. If it had needed replacing then suspect it would have upped the costs very considerably as would changing the level of the slope.

Not sure how the proposed hospitality capacity compares to the current facility’s. It must be high for our current requirements but will have been pitched for where they hope we’ll be playing our football in the future. The current economic environment isn’t a friend for hospitality packages so hopefully things will have improved when it’s completed.

The big question I have is how it is being funded. I understand Smith/Ashleigh are “providing” it but how is that being done. Is the club going to be paying for everything presumably by way of a loan from Smith or Ashleigh or is everything going to be paid for by Smith individually or by Ashleigh and then “gifted” to AUFC? I understand the land behind the NT was purchased by Smith/Ashleigh rather than the Club but this Development is obviously on the Club’s land. Understanding the financials behind the development is something I’d be keen to hear more about - would have thought that was a more relevant question to ask on Thursday night than ones to Smith about how we want to spend his money next.

As a club we have been hugely fortunate to have owners in recent times in Barr, Cameron and now Smith who have all had the club’s best interests at heart. While they have had pockets of different depths they’ve been able to keep us away from the situations a number of our peer group have got themselves into as well as not poncing off the taxpayer as a certain club without a sea view about 14 miles away did.

Exciting times - we now just need a team on the park that can provide something worth watching from the new Stand.

57 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Didn't notice that the other night, but I suspect it's meant to be a SUDS pond.

Smith did say that the pitch watering system would be run from collected rainwater, so it probably is a SUDS pond.

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The big question I have is how it is being funded. I understand Smith/Ashleigh are “providing” it but how is that being done. Is the club going to be paying for everything presumably by way of a loan from Smith or Ashleigh or is everything going to be paid for by Smith individually or by Ashleigh and then “gifted” to AUFC? I understand the land behind the NT was purchased by Smith/Ashleigh rather than the Club but this Development is obviously on the Club’s land. Understanding the financials behind the development is something I’d be keen to hear more about - would have thought that was a more relevant question to ask on Thursday night than ones to Smith about how we want to spend his money next.

Smith said he would be funding it with his own money and Ayr United would not owe him anything. 

7 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Thanks to the urban myths that plagued the Citadel and the Magnum for years, SAC refused planning permission.

Prestwick Pool doesn't have any urban myths like that.

Only that someone shat themselves in the pool and it had to be closed for a full day.