Jump to content

The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread


Recommended Posts

McAdams was a bit unlucky with the first Dunfermline goal. Slow to dive, but he lost his footing when he did. Much more culpable for the second, where he showed an appalling lack of technique. Proper coaching should be able to iron out this problem he seems to have with shots from distance.

Other areas of his game are in better shape, including his handling of crosses. He should command his area better, but that will come with experience. He’s saved us more points than he’s cost us. Just a pity one of his worst errors happened in such a vital game. Such is the life of a goalie. No wonder they say they’re all mad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 

 

Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 

 

Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?

Paddy Reading.... they do seem to be discussing left backs on the Thistle thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 

 

Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?

As all the good work to establish ourselves in the Championship comes undone, it turns out that it could be the manager who started it off who gets to hammer the nail into the coffin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 

Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?

If he would like to turn up next Saturday then he can have all of them if he wants.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 
 
Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?
I'd be shocked if he was not sniffing around Murdoch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 

 

Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?

Surprised he hasn’t moved already for Murdoch and as someone else said Reading. I’ve seen us quite a bit this season and these two for me IMO would be in the very small list of sorry to see them go but we are used to players moving on. 
Ecrepont I don’t think would have signed again unless he was told he is in with a chance of first team action Smith like wise. What’s the point in resigning ( assuming it’s 1 year deals ) and then going out on loan again and then they think sod this and move on for free. 
A worry for me is Gondoh whose signing says “ here you go Lee another for you “ & he is like “ Not for me/ I don’t like attackers / nor good enough “. Delete as applicable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Paddy Reading.... they do seem to be discussing left backs on the Thistle thread. 

Initially I thought Reading would turn out to be a top player, however he seems to have gone backwards this year which possibly could be to do with our system, but apart from 3 or 4 top performances he's been 6 out of 10 for me for most of the others.

Being honest, I honestly couldn't care less if every single player in the squad left as not one of them has been consistently good over the season and same for last season for the ones that were here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we need a proper clear out of the majority of the squad and the backroom team. I'm not subscribing to the 6/7 good additions. It'll just end up a repeat of what we were hearing last summer. No doubt we've got Mathie and Glendinning so it should be better but I think it should be a clean break either way. I'd even be moving on those on two year contracts. I exclude the players who have come through at Ayr from this (ie. Bryden, McKenzie, Ecrepont, Hewitt et al)

I'd only keep: McAdams, Murdoch, Ashford & Adeloye

I'd like to sign: McInroy

On the fence: Maxwell (inconsistent), Reading (inconsistent), Dempsey (injury record), O'Connor (inconsistent)

The rest can leave with my thanks but they've not been good enough. No room for sentiment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I think we need a proper clear out of the majority of the squad and the backroom team. I'm not subscribing to the 6/7 good additions. It'll just end up a repeat of what we were hearing last summer. No doubt we've got Mathie and Glendinning so it should be better but I think it should be a clean break either way. I'd even be moving on those on two year contracts. I exclude the players who have come through at Ayr from this (ie. Bryden, McKenzie, Ecrepont, Hewitt et al)

I'd only keep: McAdams, Murdoch, Ashford & Adeloye

I'd like to sign: McInroy

On the fence: Maxwell (inconsistent), Reading (inconsistent), Dempsey (injury record), O'Connor (inconsistent)

The rest can leave with my thanks but they've not been good enough. No room for sentiment.

To be honest I'd be happy to keep the on the fence list there as well. Always a risk with injury prone players but it is a gamble. I'm alright with 1 or 2 in that category for the squad in areas where there is normally some cover. So long as we don't end up with a Craig Moore situation with nobody else to go up top.

However, I reckon O'Connor might go back to Ireland unless he's played in the last two game and given assurances he'll be started next season. He's 25 so still has a bit of development ahead of him and I'm assuming he'd rather be playing than watching at this stage of his career. I can accept wide players being inconsistent, it is part and parcel of them at this level, so long as when they are on their game they are unplayable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I think we need a proper clear out of the majority of the squad and the backroom team. I'm not subscribing to the 6/7 good additions. It'll just end up a repeat of what we were hearing last summer. No doubt we've got Mathie and Glendinning so it should be better but I think it should be a clean break either way. I'd even be moving on those on two year contracts. I exclude the players who have come through at Ayr from this (ie. Bryden, McKenzie, Ecrepont, Hewitt et al)

I'd only keep: McAdams, Murdoch, Ashford & Adeloye

I'd like to sign: McInroy

On the fence: Maxwell (inconsistent), Reading (inconsistent), Dempsey (injury record), O'Connor (inconsistent)

The rest can leave with my thanks but they've not been good enough. No room for sentiment.

I think calling O’Connor inconsistent is harsh, given he has never really been given a chance to be consistent. He was performing pretty consistently up until his dislocated shoulder when Duffy first took over IMO.  Hopefully we will see two more performances like last weekend though, even just to emphasise how criminally underused he has been by Bullen!

We don’t really have any kind of real picture of what his consistency levels are. 

Edited by No_Problemo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

So. Thistle, managed by Ian McCall come calling next Saturday in a game they may well have to win to stay in a promotion play-off place. 

 

Who do we think he'll announce on a pre-contract from us next week?

The only person  Jobby plays mind games on is himself.

Not that he'd need much to mentally defeat a side which will just have come off the back of another complete hiding at Palmerston, a jinx that even an Ayr side which didn't happily kick two or three goals into their own nets every game couldn't shift.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I think we need a proper clear out of the majority of the squad and the backroom team. I'm not subscribing to the 6/7 good additions. It'll just end up a repeat of what we were hearing last summer. No doubt we've got Mathie and Glendinning so it should be better but I think it should be a clean break either way. I'd even be moving on those on two year contracts. I exclude the players who have come through at Ayr from this (ie. Bryden, McKenzie, Ecrepont, Hewitt et al)

I'd only keep: McAdams, Murdoch, Ashford & Adeloye

I'd like to sign: McInroy

On the fence: Maxwell (inconsistent), Reading (inconsistent), Dempsey (injury record), O'Connor (inconsistent)

The rest can leave with my thanks but they've not been good enough. No room for sentiment.

Yes, I think you've pretty much nailed it there, what I would also say is that we urgently need a few older pro's / experience as a priority as that's been arguably the biggest problem over the past 2 seasons along with the extreme lack of leadership. That said, I'd definitely take a chance on Dempsey if we could get him as he's definitely been up to the task when fit.

It's only now that you appreciate how lucky we were to have Liam Smith who was just so consistent, reliable and almost an ever present,  where now we don't really have anyone who's a 7 to 8 out of 10 each week, apart from maybe Andy Murdoch but the rest are pretty much hit or miss, if we're being completely honest.

A fully fit Doc being another who puts the present bunch to shame.

Surely things can only get better.....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think calling O’Connor inconsistent is harsh, given he has never really been given a chance to be consistent. He was performing pretty consistently up until his dislocated shoulder when Duffy first took over IMO.  Hopefully we will see two more performances like last weekend though, even just to emphasise how criminally underused he has been by Bullen!

We don’t really have any kind of real picture of what his consistency levels are. 

I maybe should have said not good enough? That may seem harsher but if I compare to 2018/19 we had Forrest and McDaid out wide. When McCall actually played wingers. I'm not sure O'Connor is as good as either of them. That's even before Forrest kicked on and got even better in 2019/20. McDaid has regressed significantly since.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Yes, I think you've pretty much nailed it there, what I would also say is that we urgently need a few older pro's / experience as a priority as that's been arguably the biggest problem over the past 2 seasons along with the extreme lack of leadership. That said, I'd definitely take a chance on Dempsey if we could get him as he's definitely been up to the task when fit.

It's only now that you appreciate how lucky we were to have Liam Smith who was just so consistent, reliable and almost an ever present,  where now we don't really have anyone who's a 7 to 8 out of 10 each week, apart from maybe Andy Murdoch but the rest are pretty much hit or miss, if we're being completely honest.

A fully fit Doc being another who puts the present bunch to shame.

Surely things can only get better.....

If Dempsey could demonstrate his fitness I would keep him in a heartbeat but I'm sure he's been injury prone before he got here as well. I could be making that up in which case it's maybe not as big a gamble. Can anyone confirm?

Aye Smith was good, a lot of the 2018/19 team were performing consistently at 7 or 8 each week with Sir Lawrence a 9/10 most weeks. Murdoch is probably closest to that but he spent the first half of the season trying to do two roles as he had Chalmers next to him. He's looked back to his old self with some proper midfielders in and around him.

I really resented the way Doc left, particularly the announcement of the pre contract when he was Captain. Even I can begrudgingly admit that he is missed.

The bar has dropped so far since 2018/19 and even 2019/20 in terms of quality in the squad. We need to fix that. The league table doesn't lie these last two seasons. It's time for major surgery on the squad irrespective of which division we are in. We are missing experience/leaders as well tbf.

Edited by Trogdor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People keep saying we’ll be fine with recruitment with Mathie and Glendinning, based on what they got so far I am far from convinced all of them are average non league players with Kenyon a shocker of a choice.

overweight 

can’t run

hadnt played for months how was he gonna help us

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...