The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Can see us very easily slipping into 9th now. Dunfermline fundamentally have better players than us in key areas but also Bullen has the fear of getting beat so fields so called hardworking players which just makes it almost impossible to break teams down.

We need a win and a draw and we also need to avoid defeat at EEP. Our best chances of a win is probably the last two games where neither team has anything left to play for. Even then I’d imagine a few QOTS players won’t want to just lie down to us.

I think we are a decent bit better in central midfield (though this is lessened without Dempsey) Dunfermline are miles in front in terms of their players in behind the striker. This could be lessened if Bullen was less negative though. Defensively, Donaldson is much better than anything we have and we obviously have Houston. Up front is also similar if Bullen plays our best players IMO. 

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The bottom line is that we are at the bottom of the form table, (even below QOS) alongside Partick and Raith. We have ranged from poor to utter shite since defeating Raith. Bullen has played a huge part in that, with his continual shoehorning and chucking in Bryden up front himself. His lineup on Saturday is going to tell us a huge amount about how this season is going to end - sorry but it isn’t the time to continue experimenting with starting 17 year olds. An impact sub to play out wide off a central striker only from now IMO. It also isn’t the time for Ashford up front himself, as he isn’t suited to it and we end up failing to get up the park. 

I don’t think it is the shoehorning in of Bryden that is the issue.

you have a shape and players to fit that shape. You lose Ashford and Adeloye, of the remaining players available, do you change the shape or do you play a player you have available to keep that shape?

I think everyone out with the current coaching set up would agree that what we are doing doesn’t work the majority of the time regardless of who is playing up front on their own.
There have been no tweaks or changes to alter what we do, play narrow, pass the ball quickly and hope to catch a defender on an off day. It has often resulted in us having no shots on goal. It should have been banned during the interview process but we have stuck with it all season. probably by more accident than design it has kept us out the bottom two, for now.

Chalmers has been a good addition to Dunfermline because they are trying to play football, not lump it forward as quickly as we can. 

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t think it is the shoehorning in of Bryden that is the issue.

you have a shape and players to fit that shape. You lose Ashford and Adeloye, of the remaining players available, do you change the shape or do you play a player you have available to keep that shape?

I think everyone out with the current coaching set up would agree that what we are doing doesn’t work the majority of the time regardless of who is playing up front on their own.
There have been no tweaks or changes to alter what we do, play narrow, pass the ball quickly and hope to catch a defender on an off day. It has often resulted in us having no shots on goal. It should have been banned during the interview process but we have stuck with it all season. probably by more accident than design it has kept us out the bottom two, for now.

Chalmers has been a good addition to Dunfermline because they are trying to play football, not lump it forward as quickly as we can. 

I didn’t mean Bryden specifically tbf, it was more aimed at the wide players in addition to this. Playing him wasn’t the main issue, but it will be one if it continues. Dempsey would have utterly ran Chalmers into the ground, which is unfortunate. We need to win on Saturday, it really is that simple now - I just can’t see it!

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I didn’t mean Bryden specifically tbf, it was more aimed at the wide players in addition to this. Playing him wasn’t the main issue, but it will be one if it continues. Dempsey would have utterly ran Chalmers into the ground, which is unfortunate. We need to win on Saturday, it really is that simple now - I just can’t see it!

Bryden has been almost demonised a bit since he came in and it is not the boys fault. A bit like Chalmers, in no way suited to our style of play. Adeloye being lazy because he is nowhere near the ball the majority of the game and marked by 2 players because there are no team mates within a quarter of the pitch of him.  

Dunfermline look like they like to dominate possession and play wide.”, getting crosses in to the box. We like to concede possession and play through the middle. It’ll come down to who take their chances. At the moment, Dunfermline are taking there’s and we aren’t creating any.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Bryden has been almost demonised a bit since he came in and it is not the boys fault. A bit like Chalmers, in no way suited to our style of play. Adeloye being lazy because he is nowhere near the ball the majority of the game and marked by 2 players because there are no team mates within a quarter of the pitch of him.  

Dunfermline look like they like to dominate possession and play wide.”, getting crosses in to the box. We like to concede possession and play through the middle. It’ll come down to who take their chances. At the moment, Dunfermline are taking there’s and we aren’t creating any.

He’s hardly been demonised.  But playing an unproven 17 year old up front by himself has smacked of either desperation or delusion, which certainly isn’t the players fault.  

27 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t think demonised is right, any comment has been centred around Bryden being hung out to dry or not quite being ready to play as a lone frontman. Dunfermline play at an intensity rarely seen from us too. 

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

He’s hardly been demonised.  But playing an unproven 17 year old up front by himself has smacked of either desperation or delusion, which certainly isn’t the players fault.  

My concern is that Bullen is one of these “gid fitba guys” who looked at Bryden and thought, this guy is a young, hungry hometown hero, the fans will love him and get right behind him. He’ll fire us to victory. 

Where as everyone else thought, “the f**k is he doing playing a child up front and making out he is going to be a saviour”

Wr have a two forwards who have bagged more clubs than goals in their careers and don’t try to get any from elsewhere.

We need a 20+ a season player plus 4-5 other players weighing in with 10 goals each to make a dent in this league. We don’t create enough chances to score goals or enough space to create those chances and haven’t done all season despite signing players to do just that.

we either play them as sitting midfielders or don’t play them at all. 

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Hopefully the club might consider opening the railway end on Saturday for us. Might be a small thing but the team need all the encouragement they can get

Unless you went in via railway turnstiles I think that would be a no go as ICT players are in hospitality remember.

Unless you went in via railway turnstiles I think that would be a no go as ICT players are in hospitality remember.
Surely either side of HT stewards could block off the path behind the hospitality until all players and officials have cleared the area?

20 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:
22 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Surely either side of HT stewards could block off the path behind the hospitality until all players and officials have cleared the area?

Depends it's whether they or ICT would be happy with hundreds of fans passing by the entrance to hospitality where they are.  I would definitely want to be able to get behind both goals! 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

My concern is that Bullen is one of these “gid fitba guys” who looked at Bryden and thought, this guy is a young, hungry hometown hero, the fans will love him and get right behind him. He’ll fire us to victory. 

Where as everyone else thought, “the f**k is he doing playing a child up front and making out he is going to be a saviour”

Wr have a two forwards who have bagged more clubs than goals in their careers and don’t try to get any from elsewhere.

We need a 20+ a season player plus 4-5 other players weighing in with 10 goals each to make a dent in this league. We don’t create enough chances to score goals or enough space to create those chances and haven’t done all season despite signing players to do just that.

we either play them as sitting midfielders or don’t play them at all. 

That reflects a lack of confidence in Bullen’s decision making rather than any negative attitude towards the player.  The truth is we thought that in appointing Bullen we were getting a proven and experienced manager in the mould of McCall who would come in and hit the ground running.  In reality, he is actually a rookie appointment who has only filled coaching roles to this point.  I guess it’s always bothered me slightly that despite being a massive club legend, Sheffield Wednesday twice declined to appoint him manager, even though he’d been a coach at the club for years.  

We can only hope that he is capable of developing into the role and that there hasn’t been too much damage done in the meantime.

On the goalscorer front, as far as I can see, since the 03/04 season in this division there has been only 10 occasions when a player has scored 20 or more in the league. Just 8 players, because Shankland and Dobbie did it twice each. 25 has been the max (Stevie May in 12/13, and several on 24).
Plenty of players in the high teens of course, but just trying to add a little context to landing a player of such quality...doesn't happen too often in this league.

On 05/04/2022 at 15:45, Meathead said:

I hope the club are at least considering doing a fan consultation before the VAR vote in two weeks' time. While its introduction to the Premiership would obviously have no immediate consequences for us, inevitably we'd be exposed to it at some point.

I'm dead against it but, regardless of whether that's a minority or a majority view among our support, it's important that we have our voices heard. This could potentially be the most seismic change to the in-person experience of watching Scottish football in decades and we're the mugs who actually watch it.

I know the thread has moved on to other, more pressing matters, but I emailed the club about this and got the below response from Graeme Mathie today. Great news for us, and his enthusiasm for involving supporters in this and other votes in the future is very encouraging.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Meathead

Setting recent form to one side, I know I know...

Bullen's record in the Championship is as follows:

P13 W4 D4 L5 PPG 1.23 (This includes the home win versus Arbroath).

If we continued that strike rate we'd get 5 points and be on 39 points and more likely than not we'd be safe (?).

The trouble is we're in bad form; Dempsey is out and we're routinely giving teams a 1 goal headstart.

I think it could get as squeaky as last season. 😬

I'm all for a refined, quick version of VAR. Goal line, offside, and penalty claims. But done in a quick way that doesn't have stupid lines being drawn and someone's baw hair being called offside.

The officials in Scotland are dire across the board, and that's because of a refereeing shortage. Referees are getting promoted through the ranks quicker than usual.

I know the thread has moved on to other, more pressing matters, but I emailed the club about this and got the below response from Graeme Mathie today. Great news for us, and his enthusiasm for involving supporters in this and other votes in the future is very encouraging.
Capture.thumb.PNG.e58d974ec3d49b9e8e535c8107af75e5.PNG

Goodness, you’re easily taken in [emoji1]