The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

36 minutes ago, Meathead said:

I hope the club are at least considering doing a fan consultation before the VAR vote in two weeks' time. While its introduction to the Premiership would obviously have no immediate consequences for us, inevitably we'd be exposed to it at some point.

I'm dead against it but, regardless of whether that's a minority or a majority view among our support, it's important that we have our voices heard. This could potentially be the most seismic change to the in-person experience of watching Scottish football in decades and we're the mugs who actually watch it.

Dead against VAR as well, part of the magic of football is a ref making a rip roaring arse of it. It absolutely kills momentum in a game and the offside nonsense with people being called cause their hand was ahead of the defender is being pedantic to the level of trying to justify the existence of the system. Would rather football remained organic.  

I hope the club are at least considering doing a fan consultation before the VAR vote in two weeks' time. While its introduction to the Premiership would obviously have no immediate consequences for us, inevitably we'd be exposed to it at some point.
I'm dead against it but, regardless of whether that's a minority or a majority view among our support, it's important that we have our voices heard. This could potentially be the most seismic change to the in-person experience of watching Scottish football in decades and we're the mugs who actually watch it.
100% no for me nothing wastes a goal than having to wait for VAR to give it the Okay, fair enough the national team have had the up side of it recently against Israel but generally I think it wastes the spontaneous aspect of the game.

I can't get too excited by VAR either way. I'd rather have full time referees with the appropriate training. Some of the officiating has been truly terrible. You can tell they are guessing or going by the crowd reaction.

VAR was a good idea in theory. The key word being ASSISTANT.

However, in practice it has been overused to the extent were the referee on the pitch might as well not be there. It has detracted from my enjoyment of watching football matches. It overrides the real-time judgements that referees make, and reduces potential to let the games flow and minimises the human error aspect that is a loveable (when it doesn't lead to decisions given against your team!) part of football. VAR has been a pain in the arse and disruptive to the flow of games. Nothing kills the flow of games like re-watching a nothing incident that no one actually noticed in real time.

There is enough that I hate about modern football already. Get VAR in the bin.

Edited by Richey Edwards

Think of the iconic moments in football history that would have been lost to VAR the hand of god a prime example something we are still talking about almost 40 years later, refs make mistakes, players make mistakes, managers make mistakes it's one of the reasons we live the game.

4 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

What's the script with Rowe, will he be back soon?

Last I heard he was going for another scan , depending on the outcome it looked like he would be going back to Coventry to get treatment 

VAR isn’t the issue. It’s that referees and officials have absolutely no idea how to use it.

I’d be all for it tbh but I have zero faith that the already hugely incompetent referees in this country would be able to use it properly.

We should focus on making sure that the guys who are in refereeing jobs are actually qualified to do so and aren’t just being fast tracked to the top jobs because they have the right fit for it.

1 hour ago, Meathead said:

Totally against clubs asking fans if they want VAR or not , leave up to club officials to decide , only causes animosity between fans , I personally like it as it causes some interesting debates and would say it gets more decisions right than wrong , as a Scotland follower it has benefited us every time it has been used and the reason we are in the play offs 

VAR is most places is largely ok (except England) other than offsides, it's one thing to brush it off like that but the reality is that our refs will no doubt have similar success to those funds south of the border.  

If you could bring it in and leave offsides to the assistant referees you've probably got something relatively smooth. 

VAR probably better for the bigger leagues with more coverage, greater scrutiny and more at stake with the wrong call. As others have mentioned it disrupts the flow of the game so quite happy to accept the random decisions associated with lower league football

55 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Totally against clubs asking fans if they want VAR or not , leave up to club officials to decide , only causes animosity between fans , I personally like it as it causes some interesting debates and would say it gets more decisions right than wrong , as a Scotland follower it has benefited us every time it has been used and the reason we are in the play offs 

Don’t ask the fans about an issue that is entirely affecting their experience of the thing that they pay for...

It should absolutely be down to fans to decide. Only in football where customers are deemed an irrelevance at times would they have no input. A vote for every fan through the turnstile and that’s what decides it. 

I'd be in favour if it was used for the initial purpose, i.e. "clear and obvious" decisions that everyone in the ground could see at the time was wrong, not the five minutes of hanging around while some geek matches up offside lines on a computer. The attacker should always be given the benefit of the doubt.

Although Liverpool's VAR penalty at the weekend was given despite no-one noticing the clear foul in the box. Perhaps restrict it to incidents where on second replays only it is a clear error.

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

The concept of permitting match officials to get better angles on contentious decisions is sound. The implementation does not give a single flying f**k about that concept. The hand of god would absolutely have stood for the same reason that it did in the first place (the best player in the world beating the most hated team in the world, on home soil, which happened to be a military dictatorship).

Scotland can't even stop its referees from playing in fucking flute bands, or literally being tory MPs. There's a hell of a lot of low-hanging fruit to pick in improving refereeing before trebling the cost of matchday officiating is appropriate.

45 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Don’t ask the fans about an issue that is entirely affecting their experience of the thing that they pay for...

It should absolutely be down to fans to decide. Only in football where customers are deemed an irrelevance at times would they have no input. A vote for every fan through the turnstile and that’s what decides it. 

Totally disagree with that , going by your argument fans should decide everything that happens in sport , with the amount of fans who can only see their opinion what a mess the sport would become 

6 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Totally disagree with that , going by your argument fans should decide everything that happens in sport , with the amount of fans who can only see their opinion what a mess the sport would become 

There is a huge difference between fans having input into something that directly affects their involvement, and them being involved in everything that happens in sport. 

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Anyone got a link to purchase the £10 tickets if you are a season ticket holder. 

Sign into your total tickets account as you would to add a cup game to your season ticket , on the drop down menu there is the choice of buying a friends £10 ticket 

On 03/04/2022 at 13:50, diegomarahenry said:

I see the club have published the accounts. I don't really understand them but the message from the club is positive. 

Maybe to early for the hub to make an impact on finances, I don't imagine the club shop will be up or down in terms of sales by much. Match day revenue, it would be interesting to see if there is a higher uptake on streaming than the normal away gate. 

Speaking of accounts, is hospitality ever going to open up again? Surely we've missed a few quid from that this season? Yes we have the hub for drinks etc but as far as I'm aware they dont do meals in there. Always wanted to try hospitality but never got around to it 😑

The concept of permitting match officials to get better angles on contentious decisions is sound. The implementation does not give a single flying f**k about that concept. The hand of god would absolutely have stood for the same reason that it did in the first place (the best player in the world beating the most hated team in the world, on home soil, which happened to be a military dictatorship).
Scotland can't even stop its referees from playing in fucking flute bands, or literally being tory MPs. There's a hell of a lot of low-hanging fruit to pick in improving refereeing before trebling the cost of matchday officiating is appropriate.

Aye this

There’s about a hundred other issues in football needing knocked on the head before we implement technology that will be misused.