The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

We lined up with 2 defensive midfielders, no real width and one isolated striker up front.  It just wasn’t a surprise at all that we never looked like scoring.  For the umpteenth time this season we waited until we were a goal down before we attempted to be more progressive, but even then the substitutions were incoherent..  

For all the criticism of Adeloye as a lone striker, it’s only taken Ashford 3 or 4 games to get sufficiently frustrated that he earned himself a straight red.  Must be soul destroying spending your day chasing scraps and lost causes.

I completely agree, and is a theme under Bullen. We haven’t really looked like scoring in previous successful games, until Tomi entered the field. We are wasting Ashford as well, I think it is pretty clear he isn’t best suited as a lone striker. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I don’t think there is any justification to start Bryden over Moffat tbh. If we play Gondoh and O’Connor then Moffat is the man to take the ball from them and link things up. I don’t think Bryden is capable of doing that at this point. 

Can Bryden run about a little more? Possibly, but I imagine that is greatly exaggerated - Moffat is a very fit guy. I would far rather have someone up front that can link things up, than someone running around aimlessly

Bullen loves runners tbf.

The stat tweets from the clubs twitter feed all but confirm that. It's always about metres run and sprints. Never pass completion, interceptions and tackles made.

No way can we seriously consider starting Bryden on Saturday.  Think we’ll have little option but to push McKenzie up front.  Guess it’ll depend on Dempsey’s fitness what happens beyond that.  

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Bullen loves runners tbf.

The stat tweets from the clubs twitter feed all but confirm that. It's always about metres run and sprints. Never pass completion, interceptions and tackles made.

Yeah, especially out wide he needs to find the balance of creative players/runners. It might work better with more attacking full backs too. He has managed to get the correct central midfield balance tbf. 

Just now, HMIP said:

No way can we seriously consider starting Bryden on Saturday.  Think we’ll have little option but to push McKenzie up front.  Guess it’ll depend on Dempsey’s fitness what happens beyond that.  

I don’t think McKenzie is much of an improvement over Bryden up there tbh. Moffat for me. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, especially out wide he needs to find the balance of creative players/runners. It might work better with more attacking full backs too. He has managed to get the correct central midfield balance tbf. 

I don’t think McKenzie is much of an improvement over Bryden up there tbh. Moffat for me. 

I think McKenzie can hold the ball up reasonably well.  In theory Moffat could play behind McKenzie, but the general consensus within the club seems to be that he is done.    I’m not sure we’ve actually seen Moffat play in that role all season - was hoping to see him play in behind Tomi at some point, but i can’t recall any of our many managers actually trying it - maybe Dave White did in the 2 interim games we won….

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

We have learned this season that Moffat up front on his own is a No no. If we swap Him for Ashford and change bugger all else we will deserve all we get. 

I completely agree that if we play Moffat up front with McKenzie and Maxwell out wide then it is a complete and utter waste of time. However, in more of a 4-3-3 style with O’Connor and possibly Gondoh then he can take the ball in and link things up - no one else is capable of doing that IMO. He isn’t particularly up front himself in that system - the thing is, I can’t see Bullen doing it. It’ll be an isolated forward, and everyone else played with defence in mind first. 

I’m happy for him to be living his dream, but in terms of impact/threat, Bryden has shown a grand total of absolutely nothing in all of his 10-30 minute sub appearances to suggest he should be anywhere near the team right now, let alone the starting line up. He literally looks like a fan who is chasing after the ball to get it back for his favourite team. We can’t afford to get sentimental in our state right now.

Bullen will just have to try another set up to get the best out of his abundance of wingers and number tens. 

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Queens Park certainly seem to be chucking money at it. I'd imagine Coyle and Stewart were on a decent wedge in India.

Haughey pouring in the megabucks, Dempster running the off the field matters and Coyle and Stewart taking the team.

Pretty much a dream combination and a stick on for the Premier within 3 years.

19 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

I’m happy for him to be living his dream, but in terms of impact/threat, Bryden has shown a grand total of absolutely nothing in all of his 10-30 minute sub appearances to suggest he should be anywhere near the team right now, let alone the starting line up. He literally looks like a fan who is chasing after the ball to get it back for his favourite team. We can’t afford to get sentimental in our state right now.

Bullen will just have to try another set up to get the best out of his abundance of wingers and number tens. 

Him and McKenzie should be nowhere near the pitch. Attacking threat and goals certainly ain't their forte 

Really, I couldn't call it between the three of us who finishes 8th, 9th and 10th. Looks like the penny may have dropped now for the Pars, and QOS have been in this position before so have the experience from last season. No idea what to make of us tbh, are we all in denial about our current position or are we actually better than thought and able to put together a couple of wins. If we go into the Pars game still in the shit then I don't fancy our chances at all.

8 hours ago, Calayrdonia said:

Yup agreed on Bryden. Bringing him through seemed like a rather obvious, deliberate move from Bullen to get fans on side when he came in. I expected Bryden to very much be on the fringes, occasionally appearing on the bench or to get sent out on loan (which I think is what he really needs). The persistence with bringing him on in the second half of games, as if it's actually ever going to change anything is very frustrating. It's not Bryden's fault, he's just not near ready yet. 

I think there's definitely a case to say that players like O'Connor and Gondoh get better in our minds the more they don't play, but seen as they're wingers, I don't get why we can't just use them as such with Tomi through the middle. McKenzie works hard on the wing but very rarely provides anything that leads to opportunities. 

We desperately need to pick up points from somewhere. I don't fancy our chances against Morton but a win would be crucial in keeping a gap to the bottom two. In a way I'm glad that that Morton, Dunfermline and Queens games are away from home. Our home record has been atrocious under Bullen. I at least feel kind of confident of getting points.

11 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

People will say it’s a Bullen signing and if he isn’t going to play him why was he signed? It’s either a lack of fitness (which seems strange as he was playing at least semi regularly before he came up to Scotland I think and he’s had enough time up here to build up fitness) or Bullen has seen absolutely nothing from him in training to suggest he’d make a difference. 

I tend to think it's that Gondoh has shown he's not good enough in training and in games. Bullen is on record as saying he didn't know anything about him when he signed, it was all Glendinning. I hope i am wrong but i fear he isn't Bully's cup of tea and he'll be a waste of a wage for 18 months. 

I don’t rate Gondoh at all. He never seems to be able to control the ball and do anything with it. Almost looks like he’s trying too hard. O’Connor I like the look of but  we have barely seen anything of him that’s 3 management teams we have had that obviously don’t rate him. 

id like to see a front three of Ashford Adeloye and O’Connor for as many games as we can for the rest of the season. We have shown when we go at teams we can beat them, I’d like us just to have a go. March rather us taking it too teams and get relegated than do what we are doing and get relegated 

Noticed Gondoh had retweeted something recently, can't recall the exact quote but was something along the lines of "how come the creative players are judged on how much they run but the running players aren't judged on how much they create".   So it may well just be that his numbers aren't good enough.  

He does seem a little out his depth in the very brief bits I've seen of him though, but probably harsh to judge having had so little game time.   

O'connor a strange one, he's has flashes of looking pretty good, with a couple of other anonymous ones which you expect from a winger.  3 managers not fancying him though maybe means something?