The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

On 16/03/2022 at 17:03, diegomarahenry said:

We played a Scottish cup game against Ross County in the very early days of the Daziel era where they sanded the pitch heavily to get the game on, The game was one of the BBC picks for TV coverage, a rarity at the time, Ayr were second division and Ross County were still Highland league. Probably why they were desperate for the game to go ahead. 

There was so much sand on it, the pitch looked yellow on TV, it gubbed the pitch for years after that. The Kilmarnock, Jim Dick/Ian Ferguson game, the pitch in that game was like Firhill now. 

I've got a programme signed by Ally MacLeod from that game up the loft somewhere I'm sure.  

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but some fantastic work taking place right now within the club - engaging with local schools on important issues. The video yesterday was powerful, and incredibly important. The only thing I would say, is that it is annoying that it is partially hidden behind black and white tv as it should be getting shared far and wide. 

18 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Point a decent result for us tonight but not keen on how the Pars rallied at the end. Stage of the season desperation has set in and expect to see a lot of this now, teams fighting for points.

The positive for us was that I thought neither team showed much quality in the final third. In the first half in particular, Dunfermline were really poor - a Chalmers shot from outside the box being all that I can really remember. I know that our defence can be abysmal but I think we can offer more now going forward than either Morton or Dunfermline.

I remember a game against Arbroath at Somerset in 2002, Ayr won 4-0. Just After Christmas, wrapped up in clothes Santa had brought me that my granny insisted I wore to keep me warm. I was 12 years old, going to Somerset with my grandad and at the age where I was still getting the Beano Comic Every week, where the Ball Boy page would state Arbroath were the worst team in the world.

Twenty years later, we're off to Arbroath, who have handed us a few defeats over the years since. Certainly better than what Ball boy had said in the comics.

The Dandy was the better comic, I realise this now. 👍

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

I remember a game against Arbroath at Somerset in 2002, Ayr won 4-0. Just After Christmas, wrapped up in clothes Santa had brought me that my granny insisted I wore to keep me warm. I was 12 years old, going to Somerset with my grandad and at the age where I was still getting the Beano Comic Every week, where the Ball Boy page would state Arbroath were the worst team in the world.

Twenty years later, we're off to Arbroath, who have handed us a few defeats over the years since. Certainly better than what Ball boy had said in the comics.

The Dandy was the better comic, I realise this now. 👍

You must be the same age as me. I remember that 4-0 game as well. I think Andy Ferguson came on as a sub and scored his first goal for the club.

I was also wrapped up warm, wearing four layers, a scarf and a hat at the insistence of my grandparents.