The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, HMIP said:

Don’t know what to make of Bullen.  He’s clearly got bags of enthusiasm and there has been a clear improvement already in the recruitment of new players.  On the other hand, there’s a tactical naïveté about him that has verged on ineptitude at times.  Last night was extreme, but when you consider the dire performances against Queens and Morton as well as the early capitulation against St Mirren in the cup it didn’t come out of nowhere.  The wins over Kilmarnock and Inverness were built on the midfield 3 of Dempsey, Murdoch and McInroy, so I guess we should build around that.  Maybe Bullen just got carried away by the win against a Raith side that have been in full implosion mode for weeks.  

This sort of stuff really, really pisses me off if I'm being honest as the facts are that we horsed Raith 4-0 last week with Bullens "tactical failures" and although losing to Queens the previous week we managed to also beat Killie and Inverness away in recent weeks, again, with the same supposedly tactically naive Bullen in charge.

I've said it a hundred times, but what the Hell do people realistically expect ? 

Name me a team in this league (or indeed the one above) that doesn't suffer from major inconsistencies and end up on the wrong end of a scudding every few weeks ?

Basically we're all of a pretty similar level, we all have players with limited ability and the harsh reality is that some we'll win and some we'll lose, irrespective of who our Managers and coaches are. The players are guilty of both personal and collective mistakes but that's why they're playing at this level in the first place !!

Would some rather we go back to a Hopkin / Duffy style of Management and recruitment ??

Yes, we seemed to freeze last night (for whatever reason) and Killie did take their chances well.

Should we have played Dempsey from the start ? probably. Should we have dropped Adeloye or Ashford to the bench ? on hindsight, probably ? Would the fans have been happy had Bullen done so ? Definitely not.

Lots of ifs and buts I suppose, however I was very impressed with the second half showing with Dempsey and McInroy absolutely superb and Murdoch not far behind them.

Yes, it was a hard one to take but I'm definitely not prepared to write off Bullen or any of our team just yet and still have 100% confidence that we'll stay up.

18 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Don’t really care if the fans are happy with the selection - this isn’t a committee system.  It’s the manager’s responsibility to set the team up and we were an utter shambles.  There was a lot more wrong last night than just individual errors, though that is a useful conclusion if you want to absolve Bullen of any responsibility.  Kilmarnock were clearly looking to play to Lafferty’s physicality and get runners in behind - I don’t think we had the first idea how we planned to deal with that.  As others have said, it looked like a classic case of “this team worked against an awful Raith side, so let’s just try that again”.   Dempsey played 70 minutes without issue so there was clearly no reason why he couldn’t have started the game.  

After sacking 3 managers in less than a year, we can only hope that Bullen is the man going forward.  But honestly, the level of completely unearned hype around the guy is ridiculous.  The unlikely win at Rugby Park bought him a lot of goodwill, and rightly so, but the home performances since he took over have been woeful.  Outplayed and outthought by Dougie Imrie’s Morton and Willie Gibson’s QOS in crunch relegation 6 pointers, a feeble capitulation against St Mirren in the cup and now a derby performance that I think most are agreed was the worst in living memory.  

The midfield 3 of Murdoch, Dempsey and McInroy looked like something we could build around, so hopefully we will see that return next week.

Spot on. These are not on-offs.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This sort of stuff really, really pisses me off if I'm being honest as the facts are that we horsed Raith 4-0 last week with Bullens "tactical failures" and although losing to Queens the previous week we managed to also beat Killie and Inverness away in recent weeks, again, with the same supposedly tactically naive Bullen in charge.

I've said it a hundred times, but what the Hell do people realistically expect ? 

Name me a team in this league (or indeed the one above) that doesn't suffer from major inconsistencies and end up on the wrong end of a scudding every few weeks ?

Basically we're all of a pretty similar level, we all have players with limited ability and the harsh reality is that some we'll win and some we'll lose, irrespective of who our Managers and coaches are. The players are guilty of both personal and collective mistakes but that's why they're playing at this level in the first place !!

Would some rather we go back to a Hopkin / Duffy style of Management and recruitment ??

Yes, we seemed to freeze last night (for whatever reason) and Killie did take their chances well.

Should we have played Dempsey from the start ? probably. Should we have dropped Adeloye or Ashford to the bench ? on hindsight, probably ? Would the fans have been happy had Bullen done so ? Definitely not.

Lots of ifs and buts I suppose, however I was very impressed with the second half showing with Dempsey and McInroy absolutely superb and Murdoch not far behind them.

Yes, it was a hard one to take but I'm definitely not prepared to write off Bullen or any of our team just yet and still have 100% confidence that we'll stay up.

Pretty much this . Rangers got waisted by Celtic in February, few weeks later Rangers bundle Dortmund out of Europe ...

5 minutes ago, North British said:

Pretty much this . Rangers got waisted by Celtic in February, few weeks later Rangers bundle Dortmund out of Europe ...

This is a wild wild take. 

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Who said that Dempsey couldn’t start the game? The reason he didn’t start was because we played 4-4-2 which should’ve been fine if we hadn’t given Kilmarnock three easy goals.

If you thought we lost last night because of how we set up then I really don’t know what to tell you.

To recap, we were 3 down inside 15 minutes, we completely changed the shape of the team after 20 minutes and subbed off 2 players at the same time, neither of whom were particularly guilty of individual errors for the goals.  Fjortoft was presumably thrown on to try and deal with Lafferty’s physicality (or for comedy value, I’m not sure which) and Dempsey was clearly put on to give us more legs in the middle of the park as they were running through us at will.  

If you can’t see that tale of woe as evidence of a malfunctioning setup, then I don’t know what to tell you.  I presume that you are implying that last night was mainly down to “individual errors” - I personally think that’s a conceit that gets trotted out when we don’t want to admit the truth, which is that we were absolutely ragdolled.  

Edited by HMIP

To recap, we were 3 down inside 15 minutes, we completely changed the shape of the team after 20 minutes and subbed off 2 players at the same time, neither of whom were particularly guilty of individual errors for the goals.  Fjortoft was presumably thrown on to try and deal with Lafferty’s physicality (or for comedy value, I’m not sure which) and Dempsey was clearly put on to give us more legs in the middle of the park as they were running through us at will.  
If you can’t see that tale of woe as evidence of a malfunctioning setup, then I don’t know what to tell you.  I presume that you are implying that last night was mainly down to “individual errors” - I personally think that’s a conceit that gets trotted out when we don’t want to admit the truth, which is that we were absolutely ragdolled.  

f**k sake you aren’t trying to say that we made changes because Bullen realised he got it wrong?

Bullen said it was basically damage limitations and threw on a defender and a midfielder to try and keep the score down. I think it’s fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that we lost last night in the first 15 minutes because of individual errors. If it was clear that our tactics didn’t work then fair enough I’d criticise Bullen but you can’t really account for losing two goals from a corner and one from three players getting the basics of defending wrong.

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I don't think anyone really thinks we'll be relegated after last night. Maybe a few said this in the immediate aftermath but once the red mist cleared I hope they would still be optimistic given the points we have on the board.

On Bullen - My view is that it is too early to judge one way or the other. I don't buy into the 'he's building something' or the 'he's tactically naive'. I'm slap bang in the middle.

On the players - I want every defender at the club gone. I am sick of their abject performances and individual errors. It's been far to prevalent.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

f**k sake you aren’t trying to say that we made changes because Bullen realised he got it wrong?

Bullen said it was basically damage limitations and threw on a defender and a midfielder to try and keep the score down. I think it’s fairly obvious to anyone with half a brain that we lost last night in the first 15 minutes because of individual errors. If it was clear that our tactics didn’t work then fair enough I’d criticise Bullen but you can’t really account for losing two goals from a corner and one from three players getting the basics of defending wrong.

So outside those moments it was going well? 

29 minutes ago, mccurdieboy said:
32 minutes ago, Roxanne said:
Has anyone seen a video for the tackle that fjortoft got the red for?
I didn't think he touched that player yesterday emoji848.png

He pulled his shirt no complaints about it as shaw was in on goal

He did a Rather overdramatic fall to the ground for getting his shirt pulled tbh 🤔  Ref was a w*nker as well.

So outside those moments it was going well? 

I’d say it’s hard to actually judge a performance when you’re 3-0 down due to some shambolic defending and also a man down. Had we avoided that then you could more accurately tell how well our setup did or didn’t work.

Hamilton and Dunfermline drawing, and QoS losing at least makes last nights result not as bad as it could have been in terms of our league position. Bloody Morton beating Thistle. I reckon the 7th - 10th will finish as it is at the moment, maybe swap us and Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

Those results let us off the hook a little. One more game ticked off. Maybe two more wins will be enough.

Aye, Raith & ICT awaking from their deep slumbers might help in the run in as well. 

8 minutes ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

Why would Shaw do that. He was through on goal.

C’mon mate, we know how clinical he is when clean through on goal 🥴 but it was still a clear red card, as Lee Bullen confirmed.

On a more positive note for our country cousins, Kerr McInroy looks like a really good player. Head & shoulders above his teammates last night 👍. Think he fancies a shot in the Premier league next season?

I know last night was a disaster for you guys in the first 30 mins but you must’ve been at least a little bit happy with the fight and determination you showed in the second half, looked like we were the team down to 10 men for big chunks of it.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’re being really fucking generous in your assessment of the first 20 minutes here.

It wasn’t the case that it was an even enough first 20 and Killie just got lucky with our shite defending. We literally couldn’t get a hold of the ball. The defence were almost always camped on our 18 yard line while Killie did what they wanted to with the ball. They didn’t have many clear cut chances outside of our suicidal defending but I don’t think the entire team chasing shadows helped matters.