The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I was at the reserve fame on Thursday night at Stenhousemuir and if you didn't know it, you'd think Tomi was at his wildly inconsistent best. 

Never caused the opposition any problems throughout his time on the pitch. A 6-1 defeat with a strong team for the occasion, probably sums up how we did as a team on the night. 

Keep him on the bench for now. Ashford more than played his part on Wednesday night. 

I’m not remotely bothered how he played in a reserve game, the day after he was ragdolling Kilmarnock’s defence all over the place tbh. I can’t recall the last time an Ayr United substitute had that sort of impact - he has earned his start and Ashford can play out wide. He transformed us as a side on Wednesday, and dragged us up the park. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not remotely bothered how he played in a reserve game, the day after he was ragdolling Kilmarnock’s defence all over the place tbh. I can’t recall the last time an Ayr United substitute had that sort of impact - he has earned his start and Ashford can play out wide. He transformed us as a side on Wednesday, and dragged us up the park. 

You should be, his inconsistencies are a huge part of the problem. 

Wednesday night is the first time we've actually seen him "ragdolling" anybody. Let's see more than a 25 minute cameo to decide he's earned a start. 

Ashford's mobility and application can cause as many problems for the opposition. 

Another performance off the bench like Wednesday night and I'd be then inclined to start him but not based on one fairytale performance. 

It sends him and the team the wrong message, just my opinion. 

Just now, BukyOHare said:

You should be, his inconsistencies are a huge part of the problem. 

Wednesday night is the first time we've actually seen him "ragdolling" anybody. Let's see more than a 25 minute cameo to decide he's earned a start. 

Ashford's mobility and application can cause as many problems for the opposition. 

Another performance off the bench like Wednesday night and I'd be then inclined to start him but not based on one fairytale performance. 

It sends him and the team the wrong message, just my opinion. 

It sends him the wrong message, if he comes on and performs that you then get to start? 

No one cares about some diddy reserve game, the night after an adrenaline sapping encounter. 

I’ve seen him ragdolling defenders on several occasions this season, albeit in amongst other quieter performances. It quite simply isn’t true to suggest that Wednesday was the first time he has done it. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It sends him the wrong message, if he comes on and performs that you then get to start?

Based on one sub appearance? It absolutely sends the wrong message. Especially when Ashford has been more than fine. 

He holds the ball up better and has better movement off the ball. Pretty important when we now have midfielders capable of picking passes and getting beyond the striker. 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

He isn't. Goals cloud people's judgement clearly. 

We'll agree to disagree.

You play to his strengths. Shelling long balls at him when he's the only player in the opposition half isn't how you do it. Then moaning that he isn't chasing lost causes.

There are far more egregious examples of poor play in our team but because those particular players are seen to run about they get a pass.

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Based on one sub appearance? It absolutely sends the wrong message. Especially when Ashford has been more than fine. 

He holds the ball up better and has better movement off the ball. Pretty important when we now have midfielders capable of picking passes and getting beyond the striker. 

It’s based on far more than on one sub appearance, and regardless it was an exceptional one.

Apart from him not holding the ball up anything like as well on Wednesday night, and the midfielders only properly got going once Tomi came on. You can’t even attempt to claim that Ashford did those things better on Wednesday. Regardless, I’m not advocating dropping Ashford either. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Hmm I don’t think he necessarily holds it up better. That’s not his game. He’s a runner more than anything and I don’t think he necessarily needs to be played as a striker to play well.

Adeloye holds the ball up but doesn’t move as much as Ashford.

I think based on the Killie game you have to try both with Adeloye up front and Ashford playing on the right and then either McKenzie or Maxwell on the left.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Hmm I don’t think he necessarily holds it up better. That’s not his game. He’s a runner more than anything and I don’t think he necessarily needs to be played as a striker to play well.

Adeloye holds the ball up but doesn’t move as much as Ashford.

I think based on the Killie game you have to try both with Adeloye up front and Ashford playing on the right and then either McKenzie or Maxwell on the left.

The only other thing I would add is that while Ashford’s work rate is exceptional, it often left us without a focal point up front as he was all over the place. I think playing him off the left/right could work well (I’m sure we were told by someone he played out wide for Crawley?)

I’ve long maintained that Adeloye doesn’t do enough off the ball for me. I’m not calling him lazy but he doesn’t press centre backs enough nor does anticipate runs. He likes the ball into his feet. The trouble is that up until this point we haven’t had players get close to him. We now have McInroy and Dempsey who like to get forward.

I would argue that Ashford will do enough running for the both of them and be a better option to link up with compared to McKenzie, Gondoh, O’Connor or Maxwell. I think the two can complement each other quite nicely as they are both very different players.

One of these games Tommi is going to do a Glyyn Hurst and score 5 you can criticise his work rate if you want, take issue with his attitude if you think he has one but he's the best striker we have had since shankland left, if the last half an hour on Wednesday is any indication of waht he can do when motivated and playing to his strengths not just shelling it to him I'm looking forward to see how he kicks on.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Isn't the whole point of football to score goals?

Its not the whole point though is it? To keep them out is equally important. How many times do you watch a live match and the guy who scores the only goal of the game gets the man of the match award? Even if he deserves it or not. 

8 hours ago, Ayr23 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-set-up-long-26216924

Very interesting to read what Glendinning's job looks like day to day. It all sounds very promising, particularly the part about hopefully being able to sign players from abroad next season. Just need to stay up!

https://www.gov.uk/uk-visa-sponsorship-employers/apply-for-your-licence